Photo

Led Project Underway!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Cutter called me about my driver, it is being repaired FOC and will be back with me next week at which point I will post updated pics as I have been tinkering..... biggrin.gif

J

#42 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi all, just wanted to let you know the unit is still going strong!
Running in at setting 4 of 8 at the moment, just found it looks a lot brighter/more pop and the fish don't mind it at all.
Ive a few tips if anyone is looking to do one up, just PM me or start a thread smile.gif

J

#43 bnninja

bnninja
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

gotta say jslayz that your setup looks pretty slick
Do you think using a flexible LED strip like you can get off ebay for $40 would work for a smaller tank (like my 18" deep tank)?

From the ebay ad I'm looking at
WATERPROOF
High-powered SMD lamps mounted. High reliability.
SMD 3528 / 1210 LED
60 LEDs per meter, 300 LEDs in total 5 meters
Every 3-LED (5cm) cuttable without damaging the rest of the strip(for this waterproof strip version, the cut end need to be sealed to maintain waterproofness).
Ultra Slim flexi-strip with a thickness of 4mm and a width of 10mm
Flexible ribbon for curving around bends
Consisting of 3 separate LEDs per cluster spaced every 17.5mm
Completely smooth and even light spread, solving the uneven luminous problem with a chain of fluorescent tubes
Long life span 100,000 + hours (10+years), white lights 50,000+ hours
Maintenance free, easy installation
Input: 12VDC
Ultra-bright but running at low temperature - ENERGY SAVING

#44 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Are you growing anything or just lighting it?

#45 bnninja

bnninja
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

just fish, rocks and ornaments

how do I power one of those LED strips? just off a standard power pack (with correct voltage of course)?

#46 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (bnninja @ Sep 10 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just fish, rocks and ornaments

how do I power one of those LED strips? just off a standard power pack (with correct voltage of course)?

You got it bnninja.
What I would suggest is that you find out how many lumens or lux the ribbon you are considering emits per meter.
Then you can plan your install. I'd say work on 4000 lumens per square meter of tank bottom at 450mm deep.

I would suggest you PM Skutz cos his recent ribbon setup looks sweet in his thread and they are powerful ribbons. (1500 lumens per meter)
If you have an old laptop power pack these are sometimes spot on for running leds.

Good luck

J

#47 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

If you're dead-set on one of those strips (not high-output LEDs like jslayz, but cheap to run) you can ask the blokes at Jaycar or Dick Smith for a basic power supply. You'll need to know the required voltage, as well as wattage and/OR amperage.

#48 bnninja

bnninja
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:53 PM

sounds good
thanks for the input fellas
I've PM'd Skutz as well
=)

#49 Skuts

Skuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Just adding my 2 cents worth on the topic I have pmed you back with some info on smd 3528 led strips at this stage I would got the smd 5050 LEDs as they have a lot higher output the best ones I have seen are from qeglobal.com I went with the bright white ones and they are awesome I tried it out at Malaga aquariums and they lit the tank really bright even with all of the shop lights on so I was very impressed. For 2m and a driver delivered cost me about $140, at first I was a bit hesitant to part with the money considering that on ebay they have similar strips for the $40 mark however now I am glad I spent the extra money. One thing to consider if you go with the cheap ebay option is the fact that no one seems to advitise the amount of luminous flux that will be produced by the strip where at qe global you get that info so it might cost more initially but at least you know what your getting

Cheers

Any questions on the light strips I got feels free to ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users