Photo

How's Your Tank Temperature/s Lately?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

no more tank lights or heaters and all blinds are shut , and leaving the A/C on if its gunna be over 38 degrees.

spike before xmas (31C) cost me over $500 in live stock ,have air stones at top of water with cover glasses off, will be fitting chillers this year for sure.

big concern with temps of 30 degrees in Tangs , there just isnt enough O2 in the water at those temps

Cheers
Steve Green

#22 richardc4873

richardc4873
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

After four days of 40+ days of 46 yesterday and 43 degrees today my tanks reached 34 degrees. So far I have had fullis, aceii and colbalt zebras spawn this week but have lost 7 frontosas. Have the tanks running with ehiem canisters and powerheads for venturi effect. Have just ordered a 40 lt/min air pump to add additional oxygen into the water.

#23 ozjayok

ozjayok
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

anyone elses fish swimming around fast and looking hungry? some sort of stress behaviour maybe? my tank still at 32 sad.gif might put some ice blocks in:p

#24 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

1. air pumps and stones do not "put air" in the water , i use them to speed up the evaporation process.

2. putting frozen water ( 2L coke bottles , ice cream tubs of frozen water ) will do very little for changing temp ( unless its 5L ice in a 50L tank 10% still makes little difference.

research has shown most effective way to reduce tank tempreture is to remove ( or overlap ) cover glasses and have small fan blow over the top of the water to encourage evap.

Hope this helps , dont waste time with frozen water

Cheers
Steve Green

#25 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (STEVEGREEN @ Jan 19 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. air pumps and stones do not "put air" in the water , i use them to speed up the evaporation process.

Hey Steve

Just to avoid other people's confusion the action of the air stones (disrupting the water surface) does play a major part in gaseous exchange. So with these high temps everyone should be trying to achieve 2 things:-

1. Drop the temp of their tanks via increased evap (fans across water surface).
2. Maximise o2 saturation via aeration (air stones, sprays bars at water surface etc).

Using fans alone won't help with o2 saturation AFAIK. Hopefully someone like Syd or Oli can clarify?

Daz

#26 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

Hey Global,

Yes my roof has 50mm thick foam on it also the walls are lined with 30mm or 40mm foam and then 12mm MDF panels over the top of that screwed into the walls through the foam.

O and i also have no lids on all the tanks so that does help a little aswell.

Tanks still sititng on 26-27c today when i went in at about 3pm smile.gif

Just need for winter to come along now and see if the room stays a little warmer this year

#27 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

Cheers Adam, I have 30mm on the roof (flat tin roof) and the rest is single coarse brick, but im thinking of isulating that too! I have no air flow in the room but am thinking of putting a reverse cycle aircon/heater in! That sould sort out all year!

One of my tanks have hit a massive temp, mainly the salty predator tank with two big ehime power heads sitting in the tank, and reached 36D today, eel not looking so great, but brought the temp down and tank is fine now! (this is in the fish room) The rest of the tanks run of a big air pump so they only reached 31D and there the same size as the salty!
So just go's to show that massive amounts of bubbles braking the surface from the sponge filters have a differance, and that there is no additional heat from powerhead too!

#28 adrian

adrian
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

35 degree's in both my partners 6 foot tanks this morning 9 moliro dead leaves one sad.gif 3 calvus dead in another and 3 tetra dead in another. My partner is very sad today:(

#29 kiitsch

kiitsch
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jan 18 2010, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked. Tanks have hit 33deg and room temp is 43deg. The tropheus are loving it though! It's the most active I've seen them. Plenty of aeration helps.

I wish my tropheus were lovin it, i lost 10 adult moliro last night, 1 still on last legs! Im shattered! :'(

#30 ford2

ford2
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

ive added 2 powerheads to each tank and set them at the top so they churn the water surface and it seems to work well as i have no airpumps on any of the tanks. my outside tank has one of those stick on thermometers and it goes up to 34 and it was off the chart on sunday but no losses so im guessing the powerheads have done the job well.

also dont do any big water changes as a big temp drop will stress the fish, as i found out last year.

#31 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Powerheads, especially large ones can generate a lot of heat Dave..

#32 ford2

ford2
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

i have 2 5000lt hydor copys in each of my tanks that are inside as well and they did not get over 30, but i think the fish outside can handle the heat as long as the air saturation is still fine which the churning on the surface offers. also so long as the heat rises and falls at a slow rate the fish can cope its the extreme up and down that kills them. i might be wrong but it seems to work for me biggrin.gif

#33 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (ford2 @ Jan 20 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can handle the heat as long as the air saturation is still fine

I totally agree with u there Ford.

#34 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:34 AM

My americans were loving it, no aircon so the frontys weren't too happy, all fine now... but lost a few brichardi. Sucks not being at home to monitor temps, just do what i can when i get home...

#35 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

Tank in the back room reached 31 degrees last week. Lost a Synodontis petricola. Fan cranking over the hoodless and lidless tank, losing a good 5cm a day in evaporation.

#36 hayden

hayden
  • Banned

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (STEVEGREEN @ Jan 19 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
research has shown most effective way to reduce tank tempreture is to remove ( or overlap ) cover glasses and have small fan blow over the top of the water to encourage evap.

Hope this helps , dont waste time with frozen water

Cheers
Steve Green

If you have multiple tanks then ice blocks is the most cost affective way to reduce tanks temperature.

As far as which method is best would depend on a number of variables such as the size of the ice block vs the size of the fan so it is INCORRECT to say that 'fan blow' is more effective than ice block if no information given on tested this theory!

#37 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

gee, that was a long time coming biggrin.gif

#38 hayden

hayden
  • Banned

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (fourdapostle @ Feb 23 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gee, that was a long time coming biggrin.gif

gee mate, you must have taken your time to check out the date of this thread and my post today. Bet ya forgoten to check on my left for my join date wacko.gif

I came across this post when googling on this issue as the temp is raising rapidly this week and i am kind of worry because i am out most of the time!

Learn heaps from this thread and this is a great forum btw

#39 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (hayden @ Feb 23 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Learn heaps from this thread and this is a great forum btw

you try the both and let me know.

im trying to save people time , fan over ice everytime with any variable with in reason.

once you try it you will remove your statement

cheers
Steve Green

if , by cost you meen the power to run a fan v's a freezer v's dead fish your wrong there too

#40 Sparky

Sparky
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

i just leave my air cond on 24/7 and keep a constant temp inside my house with in reason (i only have evap a/c)
my biggest problem is the hotter it gets the more i'm out at work and hoping my power is still on keeping my house cool untill i get home to check
looks like quite a few long days ahead
and when ya power does go out try to be nice to the ppl trying to get it back on for you you might be in the dark or not have ya a/c on but at least ur not out working upto 16 hrs a day in the heat trying to help mainly ungrateful ppl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users