Photo

Test Kits For Beginners?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I just started with a tank and 2 oscars.

I first thought of buying the API 5-1 test strips, but got advice that this is unreliable - is this correct?

Failing that, I dont want to buy the expensive full liqued test kit (as apparently it expires?) and its expensive - what would you rate the most crucial individual test kit for beginners?

Ammonia?
Or Nitrate?
Or Nitrite?

Can you pse rate the above in order of importance - also advise what your thoughts are in relation to test strips and their reliability

thanks
e

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

You need all 3 and ph doesn't hurt ether.

#3 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Go for the API master test kit - around the $50 mark

#4 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Was going to say same thing as ^^.
By the time you buy two or three packs of strips, you are not that far ahead if you just go ahead and buy the full kit.

And I'll tell you what, if something goes wrong, you would pay every cent and more to have that full test kit at hand.

#5 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Also, the strips don't do ammonia, AFAIK.

#6 al4n

al4n
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just get the API Fresh water master kit, it's $50

#7 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

thanks for all your input, its much appreciated!

my local petshop say they use the strips all the time... not sure if a petshop uses this how other people on the internet can say that 'strips do not work'.. My local shop can order the full set for $160

another petshop in canning vale has it for $60 - where can i get it for $50

ive looked at the internet and basically cheaper prices but by the time you add the shipping you can might as well buy it locally

how long is the 'shelf life' of the full set? I dont want to pay $60 every 6 months or is this just what fishkeeping means? Also is the ammonia not the most crucial as if there is '0' ammonia the nitrate/nitrite would be fine?

i have two very small (baby) oscars - in a 270 litre tank, and an 'old/mature' Eheim filter 2215 (I bought the tank second-hand and got the filter with and did not clean the filter). I have been making water changes for the past few days of 10% every second day - to counter any possible instabilities at this stage

I mean what are the changes of 'bad' water at this stage?

any further advice would be appreciated

#8 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Have you tried Aquarium City in Bayswater or Morley Aquariums? give them a call and check for their prices. As for shelf life, i'm no expert but maybe 12 months before you could replace it..

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Is your local a chain store ? They have no idea. Look at our list of sponsors at the top of the page. They know what there doing.

ammonia ,nitrate and nitrite are all linked together just because one if good it doesn't mean the others are. There the 3 you must test when doing water testing. If your not testing them all there isn't a lot of point testing IMO. The master test kit is worth the money , don't skimp out of cheap crap you will regret it.

#10 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

thanks guys

i suppose a 12 month expiry period isnt too bad

my point is just - is water testing not just a big issue once my oscars are bigger?

morley aquariums advised they use test strips and dont have the master set but says they can order...

bayswater aquariums i find to be generally more expensive (i do buy my koi food there if i cannot travel to woodvale koi farm- but still $5 more expensive on a 1 kg bag...)

i am thinking of going to aquatix on saturday although its a trek from my place - they have the set for $60

e

Edited by emille, 17 April 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#11 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Water quality is always number 1 issue no mater the age , size or quantity of fish so water testing will always be important.

#12 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Apr 17 2013, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Water quality is always number 1 issue no mater the age , size or quantity of fish so water testing will always be important.

thanks bowdy i guess i just have to get 'used to it'

at the end of the day its unnatural to keep fish in such a small area, so i guess thats why testing is so important

its just ive had costs setting up everything now and is a bit dissappointed to spend another $60, which will last a year...

#13 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

$60 for a year is nothing mate you will soon realise that.

#14 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

hi bowdy thanks mate

while i am at it, more questions:

1) how often will i have to test the water

2) talking of costs, what is the approximate cost to run the setup of 270 litre tank, eheim 2215 filter and eheim heater (up to 400l) in a year?

thanks mate

e

#15 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Stuff all it's only a small set up smile.gif post the wattage of everything running and Andrew or someone should be able to answer that.

#16 Mattehx

Mattehx
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

The kit expires after 3 years and you would want to do weekly or at the very least fortnightly tests. City Barn in Malaga might be closer and I'm pretty sure they have the test kits. I live in Mt Lawley which is near Bedford, but its only about 20 minute drive to Aquotix or Vebas which isn't so bad.

#17 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

i do a weekly water test for Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia and if i haven't ajusted the ph in awhile ill do a ph test too. I've had my master test kit for more then 2 years and is still fine. every now and then i will do a "control" on the tap water just to make sure it shows 0 or very low for them as there shouldn't be much in tap water

#18 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Depending on location levels of ammonia in tap water can occur

#19 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

The best piece of advise when using master test kit it shake the bottles very well for a good 30 sec -1min or they can give a false reading.

#20 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Mattehx @ Apr 17 2013, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The kit expires after 3 years and you would want to do weekly or at the very least fortnightly tests. City Barn in Malaga might be closer and I'm pretty sure they have the test kits. I live in Mt Lawley which is near Bedford, but its only about 20 minute drive to Aquotix or Vebas which isn't so bad.

if its 3 years than the cost makes absolute sense. I have found out that Vebas has them for $40 so I would probably go there on Saturday. Is Vebas similar in size as Aquotix ? I love Aquotix! In fact I love them all - morley aquariums (wish I could 'hang out' there all day), gosnells aquariums (used to be my weekly place to 'visit' when i still worked in armadale) etc!!

e

QUOTE (Furnix @ Apr 18 2013, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i do a weekly water test for Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia and if i haven't ajusted the ph in awhile ill do a ph test too. I've had my master test kit for more then 2 years and is still fine. every now and then i will do a "control" on the tap water just to make sure it shows 0 or very low for them as there shouldn't be much in tap water

QUOTE (Androo @ Apr 18 2013, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on location levels of ammonia in tap water can occur

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Apr 18 2013, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best piece of advise when using master test kit it shake the bottles very well for a good 30 sec -1min or they can give a false reading.

thanks guys

i will follow all this advice once i get my test kit - cool

hopefully my performance with testing the tank water would be better than my testing of the swimming pool water - which i am always lazy to do adn i find it relatively complicated ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users