Photo

Fluval Fx6 Opinions

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I have never tried sicce, has anyone used it? Because I looked it up and it sounds good
Especially with the at price tag!

#22 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Ask dazzabozza for his opinion as I remember he got a sicce whale filter

#23 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Just bought 2x Sicce Whale 500 from Vebas for my 6ft (740l) setup, I will give you my opinions in a short while.

#24 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

$400 with pcs discount?

#25 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

nope, was no further discount :(

#26 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Prelude; I found it very difficult to find a decent (unbiased) review on these filters on any other site so I guess Ill be the guinea pig when it comes to the testings. The only sites I could find that had any information were ones in Italian and the 'on page' translator really gave me no indication of what the author was trying to convey.

First Impressions;

-I was impressed by;

--the 3 year warranty offered by Sicce even if it didn't include the impeller in its warranty.

--the ease of installation of the media.

--the compact size, 2 of these filters easily have the same media volume of that of a FX6/ 5

--the filters are an appealing, sleek designed black colour that does not look too bad, compared to the bucket look of the FX5/ 6

--the pricing Vebas offered, It was even cheaper than Ebay!!

-I was displeased at;

--the length of hosing! There was barely enough to get to my intake! let alone enough to get to my output

--the design of the clip on heads, this will not be an issue if your glass is flush all the way up. Notice how my glass extends outwards at the top. I had to take some inspiration from MacGyver when setting up the intake  :P.

AiuBAYC.jpg

--the way to prime them, you have to 'push up and down' a leaver, much prefer the original FX5's self prime.

--the fact that my fish have to wait another day without a proper filter due to the lack in hosing.

--the instructions appeared a little unclear but I found a video here that showed an installation.

--that you cant buy the hosing separately. 

Conclusion; Yes, it may be worth it but it is still to hard to tell at this point with a few bumps (like the pipe length) in the road it makes it feel less worth the effort/ cash. I intend to post some updates on request and/ or in the the upcoming months to review the filter. 

#27 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

Shouldn't have to prime a canister filter, just fill to the top so that the water over flows when you put the head on. It will then start on it's own when you turn it on     (you do this in the sink or out side of course) 

#28 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

We do have additional hosing, just in the warehouse but not in the shop currently...

Cheers pacco

#29 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

My tank is like yours with the over hang, so I don't know whether it will fit over

#30 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

ATX3olb.jpg

Modification; Notice the self primer top left in the photo, then underneath the glass is the second half of it. I modified the primer so it can sit ontop of the glass that supports the tank (and rest lids on) on the top then stretch along using a water changing hose I ran it along the underneath of the glass held up by suction cups, then using a 13mm right angle piece it bows down and becomes the grate (intended ending).

Other side;

EKjvTFS.jpg

#31 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Silly question maybe, I don't use canisters...

But why do they need a primer?

Cant you just suck on the outlet end so water starts flowing down the inlet pipe then let gravity do the rest?

#32 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

You can do, although a lot of people don't like to - as well as there being potential health risks doing so. Once the filter is initially primed in theory you should be able to self prime with the water still in the pipes if the filter has double taps. I do much prefer the primer being in the pipe (like the Sicce Whale) compared to most other filters that have a primer built into the head of the unit. The ones cuilt into the head seem to develop issues more readily and are a lot more expensive/painful to fix if they do

Cheers

Pacco

#33 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I must agree with Vebas on this, my FX-5 had a load of problems priming and usually took quite a few turning 'on and offs' to get it to eventually prime. Although more disgusting the Ehiem classic method of priming is ultimately the most reliable method of priming. Its method involves sucking on the output tube of the canister whilst the the input is in the tank water in the tank above you, Once the water begins to be come gravity fed you hold your thumb on the output tube, turn on the canister and put it in the aquarium as quickly as possibly without blowing up the motor  :P. The in pipe primer appears to be a less disgusting method to solve the priming issue. I have read that they become harder to prime as time goes on though.

So, working on 

reliability - Sucking method (Classic)

theory - Self prime (FX5/ 6)

allrounder - inpipe (Whale)

#34 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

We do have additional hosing, just in the warehouse but not in the shop currently...

Cheers pacco

Is there a chance I could buy 2 lengths, and for how much?

#35 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

3m length is $28.15

Cheers

Pacco

#36 myster619

myster619
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

The EHeim pro II series were discontinued due to the ineffective design and leaking problems most customers complained about. 

I have a 2080 myself, I love it. Great flow rate, lots of space for media. You can fit around 12-15 liters of Marine Pure in there which can capacitate bacteria for 3600 liters of water. Easy to prime, easy maintenance much better than the classics. Only 25w for 1700 lph. Should work on a 5x3x2. I haven't used Fluvals  Fx5, I see that they are mostly packed with sponges so not as much space for bio media as 2080 has. There is comparison somewhere on a forum about two of them. 2080 clearly wins. But Fx5 has many happy customers too. You could also go with a eheim 2260, absolute powerhouse. 

Edited by myster619, 05 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#37 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I just picked up the eheim priming pump a couple of weeks ago for my Eheim 2228 filter.
Eheim part number is 4003540, or look at this link for a description: https://www.aco-aqua...duct/index/1170

#38 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

I just picked up the eheim priming pump a couple of weeks ago for my Eheim 2228 filter.
Eheim part number is 4003540, or look at this link for a description: https://www.aco-aqua...duct/index/1170

Wow! didn't even know such an item existed, is it any good? 

#39 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hold the outflow end higher than the intake, pour water into the outflow.. thats how I primed my Classics. Only got one left. These days I use sumps for big tanks and multisystem and air driven sponges for smaller tanks If you have more than a few tanks it works out way cheaper.

#40 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

another filter which I highly regard and think is bang for buck is the AQUA ONE Nautilus 2700 UVC, scored a brand new one for $220 with media. the thing has a solid flow rate, good warranty, built in UV filter, is quite as and I haven't had any troubles, cleaning, maintaining or even running (mind you its only 2 months old)

im looking at an FX6 with next pay.

Priming, I just suck on the inlet pipe till its full of water (generally get a bit of water in ya mouth, but H2O is good for you), and plug it on to the canister head, make sure the canister bucket is full, turn the pig on, easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users