Photo

Who Can Ship Fish

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 scroogy1

scroogy1
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I have had someone from over east wanting to buy some of my fish. I don't have the time to ship these at the moment. Is anyone or shop able to do this and at what cost?

Cheers Jason

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Aquotix do it mate. Not sure what other stores do

#3 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

Aquotix and Vebas im pretty sure 

#4 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

If you have to bag them up and take them to an LFS, why not just go to the airport with them?

#5 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

bagging for interstate shipping is a little more than just chuckin them on a bag with a lacky band around the top,  its best left up to the professionals, use aquotix! they have the best service by far!

#6 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

It's just a double bag and some oxygen. Taking fish anywhere should be done properly interstate or not.

But that's not why I asked.  The  OP said he didn't have time to ship them but if he has to bag them and travel to an LFS, he may as well go to the airport.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Agree with Ronny interstate transport of fish isnt hard just need some oxygen, decent bags and away you go over to qantas freight, job done.
I had 100 fish in a single bag in a box from Bundaberg Qld to Perth in middle of summer all up 19 hours in the bag with no losses. The key is the 100% oxygen.

#8 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Just a heads up, qantas have just changed their policy on transport. Fish are usually sent by perishable consignment, but they will no longer do this. They now insist on being sent by "Q go" as livestock. We were sent away with a box of fish last week, normally we get charged around $70 - $90, the new cost for this batch to karratha was $238! & this was not just a one off confusion.
I was called out of the blue earlier this week by a qantas rep who said that they have obviously not worked this out well & upset some people. They are now looking into an alternative for fish, but this is not in place as yet. For now do not send fish by qantas as you will pay dearly.
The only other choice i am aware if is virgin, but they use toll ipec & an account us required.
My advice, hold off for a few weeks until qantas have sorted themselves out. I will post the details of new option to use when they let me know.

#9 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:59 AM

Agree with Ronny interstate transport of fish isnt hard just need some oxygen, decent bags and away you go over to qantas freight, job done.
I had 100 fish in a single bag in a box from Bundaberg Qld to Perth in middle of summer all up 19 hours in the bag with no losses. The key is the 100% oxygen.

do that with small L-numbers and they will all be dead..... certain fish have special requirements... and lfs will know this... 

perhaps the person in question can get his missus to drop the fish at a local fishop {after much grovelling and bargaining and even perhaps promising to do some jobs around the house!!! } and she'll agree to that but definitely wont be going to the airport  :ph34r:

freighting cichlids is like putting a snakehead in a drain - 99.9% chance you know they'll still be alive following day  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

Just a heads up, qantas have just changed their policy on transport. Fish are usually sent by perishable consignment, but they will no longer do this. They now insist on being sent by "Q go" as livestock. We were sent away with a box of fish last week, normally we get charged around $70 - $90, the new cost for this batch to karratha was $238! & this was not just a one off confusion.
I was called out of the blue earlier this week by a qantas rep who said that they have obviously not worked this out well & upset some people. They are now looking into an alternative for fish, but this is not in place as yet. For now do not send fish by qantas as you will pay dearly.
The only other choice i am aware if is virgin, but they use toll ipec & an account us required.
My advice, hold off for a few weeks until qantas have sorted themselves out. I will post the details of new option to use when they let me know.

this all happened about a month ago.... and they still havent sorted it out  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall: ..... make a point to ring qantas freight tomorrow and complain.... the more people that complain the better.... or we'll be marking boxes as perishable fruit & veg.... cheaper rate and gets there just the same as fish :)

#10 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

Gee that sounds crap!  Do you know if that has affected other states as well?  As I haven't heard anything about that over here.

#11 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Australia wide as I would assume. As mentioned they did call me & indicated they were working out an alternative, so should only be a temporary issue

#12 DFishkeeper

DFishkeeper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi Guys,

I put up a post on QLDAF about this asking if anyone has heard anything about this issue in Queensland :

http://www.qldaf.com...034/#post725093

A few responses so far indicating people have been shipping recently out of Brisbane and Gold Coast as per usual without any similar issues. Someone from Qantas Freight at Gold Coast airport when contacted knew nothing about it and has promised to make some enquiries and get back to us.

Hopefully it is just a temporary issue with Qantas Freight in WA, maybe a new local manager or something who made a call without looking into it or thinking it through.

Cheers, Doug

#13 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

After chatting with a few people in Sydney, it appears it is only WA with this problem.

#14 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

That would be right, make it even. More expensive for the furthest capital from anywhere.

#15 brenno71

brenno71
  • Committee

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

do that with small L-numbers and they will all be dead..... certain fish have special requirements... and lfs will know this... 

perhaps the person in question can get his missus to drop the fish at a local fishop {after much grovelling and bargaining and even perhaps promising to do some jobs around the house!!! } and she'll agree to that but definitely wont be going to the airport  :ph34r:

freighting cichlids is like putting a snakehead in a drain - 99.9% chance you know they'll still be alive following day  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

this all happened about a month ago.... and they still havent sorted it out  :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall: ..... make a point to ring qantas freight tomorrow and complain.... the more people that complain the better.... or we'll be marking boxes as perishable fruit & veg.... cheaper rate and gets there just the same as fish :)

I got L270's freighted took 2 nights all survived

#16 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

but i bet you didnt get 100 of them at 3-4cm in a single bag filled to the brim with pure grade hospital oxygen ???

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Out of interest,what should be done with L's Johnno?

#18 scroogy1

scroogy1
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

Cheers for the responses. I have shipped in the past many times but with work now I can't get to the airport. The person hasnt messaged me back so ill wait and see. We always used to use AAE is that no longer an option?
Cheers for the responses. I have shipped in the past many times but with work now I can't get to the airport. The person hasnt messaged me back so ill wait and see. We always used to use AAE is that no longer an option?

#19 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Update on qantas freight issues. Had an email this week, the live fish costings have been reviewed & costs have been returned to pre change pricing. They are still to be sent through QGO as livestock rather than perishable.
Amazing, some common sense.

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the update Paul. Any explanation or apology?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users