Photo

3ft Marine Stolen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

Just a photo journal thing on the 3ft marine i got off kevin since he is going away!!!

in my room ready to plumb!

return line is done!!

substrate is coral sand, water in to disolve the salts!!

fish and liverock are in!

all done!

#2 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

obviously the corals are not yet bloomed because its new tank for them... will post pic when they do and when i get my 3ft light! the middle section of the sump is now filled with live rock. also the kids stuff on the walls im not allowed to take down sad.gif

#3 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

Looking good, How are you returning the water? Is the tank drilled of do you have pipes running over the top of the tank?

Also your dogs eyes are not normal smile.gif

Did you add the corals & fish just after you added the water?

#4 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jul 27 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good, How are you returning the water? Is the tank drilled of do you have pipes running over the top of the tank?

Also your dogs eyes are not normal smile.gif

Did you add the corals & fish just after you added the water?

water is mostly 2nd hand and had 24hrs...
theres an overflow weir thats drill on the left hand side. its the tank kevin posted weeks ago hegot from morely aquariums.. very nice! http://www.perthcich...showtopic=18247
haha and its the flashing making her eyes like that sad.gif shes good dog biggrin.gif

#5 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:31 PM

That was a fun day today... i spent 2 hours with my hands in saltwater... sheeesh!

BTW Aaron.. most of the water was from my old tank.. same as the liverock. biggrin.gif
I'll keep an eye on it for him over the next week or so before i fly overseas.. want to make sure the setup is doing well for him etc. before i go..
We've had the tank running with only water for about a day, and moved everything over today. Water changes will be done over the next few days to ensure smooth transition etc..

The photo will be better when the corals have "bloomed" in a few days.
We're awaiting Brendan's new 3ft Hi-output T5 system. He's borrowing my 5ft LO T5 at the moment! biggrin.gif

P.S: Aaron, thats the substrate you sold to me 2 weeks ago.. looking great! wink.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#6 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:36 PM

Nice work guys.

haha and its the flashing making her eyes like that

I did know that haha.

T5, I remember you were chasing some awhile back Kev, And I couldnt get a good price, wellllllllll Ive got a new supplier and it seems (if all goes to plan) we will have T5 lighting at the shop very soon at a decent price. ( Plug for shop haha )

#7 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jul 27 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
T5, I remember you were chasing some awhile back Kev, And I couldnt get a good price, wellllllllll Ive got a new supplier and it seems (if all goes to plan) we will have T5 lighting at the shop very soon at a decent price. ( Plug for shop haha )

thanks...
my light already paid for though but.. next time.. you wouldnt have anything for 2ft would you? dont need t5

#8 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jul 27 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're my new favourite LFS so i'm bound to visit you when i need more lighting, when i come back from overseas and decide on a 6ft marine tank.. lmao!

#9 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

Good work Boof & Kev.

How are u measuring your salinity? Mixing can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Something to think about in regards to the overflow is what happens if the drain was to get blocked (dead fish etc)....? I noticed the water level in the tank is quite high already so it won't take much for it to overflow onto the floor. Some tank designs include a second drainage pipe incase the primary one was to become blocked. Or maybe some sort of float switch that disables the return pump will do the job.

Dazza

#10 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 28 2008, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good work Boof & Kev.

How are u measuring your salinity? Mixing can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

Something to think about in regards to the overflow is what happens if the drain was to get blocked (dead fish etc)....? I noticed the water level in the tank is quite high already so it won't take much for it to overflow onto the floor. Some tank designs include a second drainage pipe incase the primary one was to become blocked. Or maybe some sort of float switch that disables the return pump will do the job.

Dazza

mmm that and if theres a power out for like 5 seconds or so it has the occasional habit of creating an airlock in regards to fish im thinking just put a nett there and hope thats enough, salinity is measured with a hydrometer tongue.gif buyt say i was to take the return pump out for an hour or so.. considering the powerheads in the tank are still on will everything be unharmed? because theres something wrong with the pump its so noisy sad.gif sounds like the impeller is hitting something??

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Boof86 @ Jul 28 2008, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but say i was to take the return pump out for an hour or so.. considering the powerheads in the tank are still on will everything be unharmed? because theres something wrong with the pump its so noisy sad.gif sounds like the impeller is hitting something??

Should be fine to stop the flow between the tank and sump. Since the sump hasn't really been used much you're depending on the LR in the main tank for filtration. Since you're establishing the new sump it would be a good idea to monitor your ammonia and nitrite in case it cycles.

The impeller could be inbalanced or it could be a backpressure issue. Some pumps (generally cheaper ones) stuggle with this.

Dazza

#12 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

its an aqua one maxi powerhead and it 2500l[h so 105 i think tongue.gif uhm but it made same noise when no pressure and it stops the noise ocassionaly too. how would i balance the impeller properly if thats the case?

#13 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

just done a few water tests...
ph: 8
ammonia: 0.5ppm
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5ppm
interpretations?
corals are coming out but bubble tip anemone doesnt look healthy sad.gif

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

may have something to do with the ammonia

#15 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Boof86 @ Jul 28 2008, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its an aqua one maxi powerhead and it 2500l[h so 105 i think tongue.gif uhm but it made same noise when no pressure and it stops the noise ocassionaly too. how would i balance the impeller properly if thats the case?

this pump is being replaced on frisday. got a store credit

#16 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

I went and inspected Brendan's setup. Everything seems fine so far except for the anemone. I asked him to turn up the temperature coz it was about 24.5 (should be around 27). Hopefully the anemone will recover...
If not, i'll buy him a new one as a prezzie! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#17 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Jul 28 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went and inspected Brendan's setup. Everything seems fine so far except for the anemone. I asked him to turn up the temperature coz it was about 24.5 (should be around 27). Hopefully the anemone will recover...
If not, i'll buy him a new one as a prezzie! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

you could get me one anyway tongue.gif its looking better though already smile.gif

#18 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

Anemones are pretty temperamental to change. Should be settled in a week or two after he's done a few laps of your tank and stung all your coral wink.gif

#19 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 29 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anemones are pretty temperamental to change. Should be settled in a week or two after he's done a few laps of your tank and stung all your coral wink.gif

hes coming good now.. the clownfish are happy they have their home back tongue.gif the scopas tang seems pissed the urchin has moved into his:P
they all have thier own cave its cool tongue.gif lastnight they were all there except the wrasse who cant stay still tongue.gif they go mad at feeding i will vid it tonight for youall smile.gif especially since the coral are all bloomed smile.gif

#20 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

heres the vid i promised tongue.gif
the water is cloudy due to adding 'Purpleup Coraline Algae Accelerator' today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users