Red Sea Fresh Water Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bertie

Bertie
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hi There

I have just dragged out an old Red Sea Max 130 tank out of storage and I was hoping to convert it to a fresh water tank. I was just after a bit of advice on how I should do this as I won't require the protein skimmer and the power heads are far too strong for a planted tank and they also don't filter the water. Has anyone has successfully done this and if so how did you go about it? I was hoping I could use some sort of filter system in the existing space behind the back wall of the tank where the power heads are currently installed.

I was also looking at changing out the tubes in the light hood for these so I have the correct lighting temperature to grow plants. http://makemyled.com.au/pricing.html

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I want too do this correctly before I plant it up.

The link below is a similar to my tank.

http://cdn.shopify.c...pg?v=1374524144

Thanks

Robbie

Edited by Bertie, 11 January 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Vebas managed to do it. Go have a look at their little planted red sea tank. Its nice

Edited by Jason82, 12 January 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#3 Bertie

Bertie
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for letting me know about Vebas, I will go and check it out tomorrow and have a chat to them :-)

#4 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Sure you don't mean Aquotix 'had' one.

I thought they only had the Jewel planted tank? and the big display on the 2 tier stand.

Would be easy, remove skimmer (not required in FW - but would be interesting to see if it made any difference to a FW system), change the bulbs to something suitable for plants and load up the rear chambers with filter media of your desire suitable for FW aquariums.

#5 Bertie

Bertie
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Jules, I think you are correct as Vebas didn't have this tank set up. I will go and have a chat with Aquotix this week and hopefully they can help me. 

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:53 AM

To my knowledge that tank has been decommissioned and was for sale. None the less I'm sure theyd be happy to help you with the tech info of how it was set up. It was quite a nice little planted tank.

Edited by Jules, 18 January 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

Whoops sorry....... did you check out the pretty juwel tank while you were there?

#8 Bertie

Bertie
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

You are correct they no longer have this tank setup in the shop anymore. I ended up just sticking a heap of filer media into the spot where I removed the protein skimmer from and it seems to be working really well. The tank has been up and running now for two weeks and has been fully cycled for a few days now. I am still waiting for my custom LED's from "Make My Led" so I have been really surprised how well the plants have been doing under the 10000K lights in the hood from the marine setup. I have uploaded a video of how my tank is looking 2 weeks on. https://youtu.be/PC0-gZGO7QM

http://youtu.be/PC0-gZGO7QM 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Red Sea, Fresh Water, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users