Photo

*new Updates* Mangrove Jack Thread

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#1 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

He's only about 10cm at the moment, in with our Archer fish/ Red Scats and our little Gibby....he's pretty active and fiesty and we're looking forward to making plans on a bigger tank for him to grow up in wink.gif ..this. is. a. dangerous. hobby.

Attached Files

Edited by ice, 22 May 2011 - 12:43 AM.

#2 ciichlidsteve

ciichlidsteve
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

hot wink.gif

#3 jslayz

jslayz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Great little Jack!

Enjoy your predator!

Thanks for sharing.

J

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Gorgeous fish. Looks like he's a real poser for the camera!

#5 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

The double blue line below the eye is different. All the others I've seen, mine included, only seem to have a single blue line (mind you it tends to fade as they grow).

I love the look of Jacks when they're less than 10cm....then they just go plain and boring for about 12 months before colouring up and showing that awesome copper red colour at about 18 to 24 months of age (at a guess).

Mine's around 16-18 month old now, around the 20cm mark and is starting to show flashes of deep red at feeding time which seems to be lasting longer each week.

Just watch his agression. He should be ok whilst small, but might develop a habit of murdering when he gets older. If he gets used to your archers and scats from a young age though, he may be ok. From my research, each Jack has his/her own individual personality. You either get a psycho killer or a fair community fish...either way they both act the same at feeding time. Great fish to watch.

Good luck with him!

Cheers.
SHANE H.

P.S. http://www.perthcich...showtopic=32072 <-- My Jack/Barra set up...wish I put Archers in there to begin with sad.gif

#6 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Shane_H @ May 24 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The double blue line below the eye is different. All the others I've seen, mine included, only seem to have a single blue line (mind you it tends to fade as they grow).

I love the look of Jacks when they're less than 10cm....then they just go plain and boring for about 12 months before colouring up and showing that awesome copper red colour at about 18 to 24 months of age (at a guess).

Mine's around 16-18 month old now, around the 20cm mark and is starting to show flashes of deep red at feeding time which seems to be lasting longer each week.

Just watch his agression. He should be ok whilst small, but might develop a habit of murdering when he gets older. If he gets used to your archers and scats from a young age though, he may be ok. From my research, each Jack has his/her own individual personality. You either get a psycho killer or a fair community fish...either way they both act the same at feeding time. Great fish to watch.

Good luck with him!

Cheers.
SHANE H.

P.S. http://www.perthcich...showtopic=32072 <-- My Jack/Barra set up...wish I put Archers in there to begin with sad.gif

Awesome tank mate, I don't think archers would last very long with a barra and a jack that size. They would probably get snapped up in a feeding frenzy if you ever chucked in a livey. It seems in my absence my jack has been chewing on the archers. When I get home ill have to sort him out and see what we can do, I might have to sell the archer fish if he keeps it up. Doesn't seem to be bothering the scats though. lets just hope he leaves my little gibbiceps alone too!

-Dave

#7 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

It's odd that he's already harrassing other fish at that young age. He'd hardly have any teeth yet either. I'd give him another week or so to see if he settles down before doing anything.

In my experience, pleccos/gibbis seem to get ignored by predators like Jacks. They have armor like skin as well which helps. I even have two Synodontis ocelifer catfish in my tank, one would quite easily fit in the mouth of the Barra, but they don't get any attention either. Must be somehting about the bottom dwellers.

An interesting note....when I bought mine, looking in the tank of about 10 juvi jacks about 5cm each, I was told that the darker coloured ones tend to be the more aggressive/dominant individuals, whilst the lighter ones are a lot more submissive. Obviously as enviroments and circumstances changes, so will their individual personalities, but it was an interesting insight. I ended up buying one of the lighter coloured ones and to date I haven't had any issues with scales being shredded off tank mates or any aggressive behavious at all from my Jack. Time will tell how long this lasts though.

Cheers.
Shane H.

#8 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

lucky sad.gif

the archers are definitely on the way out sad.gif Need to get them back into condition and trade them off i reckon. Not cool. He's definitely a fiesty one.

At the time when we got him, they were so hard to find, we didnt really have the choice of selection... we were just happy to find one under $300 that was still a workable size.

#9 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Are jacks worth $300 ! ! ! !

I swear i have seen them for $40- $60 before blink.gif

#10 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

Jules,

Like most fish, if you buy them at fry-size (less than 5cm for jacks), then you can pick them up for $60 or there abouts. As they get bigger, so does the price. I've seen a 30cm specimen at a City Farmers or City Barn or what ever they're called now for close to $500.

#11 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

I had my mangrove jack up until about 45cm..... and when they get thise size they are VERY VERY difficult to keep.
They are prone to illness and also as they mature preferre a more brackish water setup.

Mine ended up dieing of unknown reasons just got sick.... there ws no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or anything.... i blame lack of salt in the water could have been an issue?

But yeh... just so you guys know what your in for... he broke about 10 lids and was going through 4kg of coral prawns a fortnight and a 1kg of whitebait

#12 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Dont mean to hijack but that was my one at 45cm

#13 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Blakey @ Jun 9 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had my mangrove jack up until about 45cm..... and when they get thise size they are VERY VERY difficult to keep.
They are prone to illness and also as they mature preferre a more brackish water setup.

Mine ended up dieing of unknown reasons just got sick.... there ws no ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or anything.... i blame lack of salt in the water could have been an issue?

But yeh... just so you guys know what your in for... he broke about 10 lids and was going through 4kg of coral prawns a fortnight and a 1kg of whitebait

woah thats alot of food bud!!!!
my togas and other big fish dont even go through that much, not even my old clown trigger!

yeah i agree with your idea of not being in salt water.
when i used to work at Pet Magic (Cannington) we had a larger one (35cm or so) in fresh water and appered stressed out, put him in a marine tank with the salinity around 1.020 (kept it lower to reduce marine disease such as ick etc) and he came right back.
From memory he was an awesome orangy colour and sold him for about $80 i think (close to 2.5-3 years ago now though)

#14 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Wow...he certainly looks like a well-fed Jack too.

Mine, currently @ around 20cm, only eats two white bait a day. He'd probably eat 10 or more if I let him though. haha.

Yeah I'm considering trasitioning the tank to a brackish one in 6 months or so with the Jack and Barra, but I'm too fond of the Plecco's and Synodontis in there at the moment. I don't think they'd appreciate a brackish environment.

Shane_H.

#15 tywonreef

tywonreef
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Still waiting for mine.lol.Any news yet mate?

QUOTE (Blakey @ Jun 9 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee he is a beautiful boy.If only my x could give birth to one of these.It would be my little man.Hehehe
Dont mean to hijack but that was my one at 45cm

#16 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I've got my mate in sydney looking for ya mate

#17 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

any more pics

#18 ice