Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

International Guest Speaker - Anton Lamboj - March 2016.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

The Perth Cichlid Society Inc proudly presents -

PCS.png Anton Lamboj - March 2016. rsz_anton_001.jpg

It is with great pleasure that the PCS committee present 'A night with Anton Lamboj'. We have managed to secure Anton as our international guest to deliver some talks to our members in March 2016. The evening will be held as part of the normal PCS meeting night for Tuesday, March 1st 2016. There will be prizes, food and two wonderful talks delivered by Anton.

rsz_11anton_002%201.jpg

Born in 1956, Dr. Anton Lamboj has been an aquarist since the age of ten. In 1980 he began to take a special interest in the cichlids of West and Central Africa. These interests led to Anton’s academic education at the University of Vienna, which began in 1988. Works for his Master degree and Ph.D. were focussed on the systematics of West African cichlids, which still embodies both his major work and his aquaristic interest. Anton’s scientific work combines morphological and anatomical methods, as well as ethological studies and molecular methods.

As an aquarist, Anton is also interested in many other groups of fish (as he says, “every fish is of interest and beautiful”), with a detailed focus on anabantids and killifish. Other hobbies pursued with passion are maintaining orchids in a small greenhouse and gardening.

rsz_anton_003.jpg

Currently, Anton is President of the Austrian Association of Aquarium and Terrarium Clubs. Over the years, he has made 14 field/collecting trips to Africa, and at the present time maintains around 45 tanks to breed and study his fish. Having authored more than 150 papers (both academic and hobbyist) in seven languages, including three books, including the celebrated 'The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa', and several contributions to various other books, Anton has also given over 250 presentations in 11 countries (including Australia).

Passing along his enormous wealth of knowledge in an easy to comprehend manner that is vibrant with his characteristic enthusiasm, Anton is a rare treasure to the aquarium world.

***Tickets are $25 per person and available from HERE or at PCS Meetings***

This is a catered event for your admission fee, so there will be food and drinks available on the night free.
We have a huge raffle prize for the evenings (details soon) that you wont want to miss out on.
There will be some giveaways and a chance to meet and get your books signed by the king of West African Cichlids - Anton Lamboj.

Don't miss out. Grab your tickets now! No entry without a ticket on the night.

There is a poll running to determine Anton's second talk for the evening. Please got and vote for the topic you would like Anton to talk about - HERE.

rsz_anton_004.jpg

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:10 PM

This is awesome!

#3 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

We have done it just for you Jason :)

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

You guys xoxox

#5 tropheus

tropheus
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

I'm looking forward to this 😊

#6 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Nice can get another of me books signed.

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

I might ask him to translate some of zee german books I have

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

A few of these books will hopefully get a signature:
image_zps6ntyeip1.jpeg

#9 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Anton has sent a list of talks we can choose from. We will let Anton run 2 talks on the night with a break between.

The first talk we have chosen as it encompasses the work that Anton is famous for and is relevant to the club. It has information for beginner to hardcore Westie Fan.

-Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa - is an overview about all genera, with short notes on keeping them.

I will be putting up a poll today to help decide Anton's second talk for our meeting.

Please get involved and choose the talk you would like to hear from Anton. Visit the poll and vote asap.

#10 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2016 - 06:54 AM

A huge congratulations to the Perth Cichlid Society for hosting Anton.  What an exciting and valuable opportunity for members to hear this world renowned expert speak!!!  Anton’s experience extends well beyond the West African cichlids, so I’m sure his talks will be of huge interest and value to a large range of serious fish-keepers.  I’ve heard that he is a very dynamic speaker, so I reckon you guys are in for a real treat!!!

Edited by humbug, 21 January 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#11 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

I can't leave it at that.  Real kudos needs to go to the Perth Cichlid Society for supporting their members in this way. I can think of no better way for groups such as this to help promote the keeping of cichlids than by providing opportunities such as this for their membership! We really need hobbyists to get behind the committees of these groups and support these events so the opportunities continue into the future.

The Ad Konnings/ Juan Miguel Artigas Azas experience last year was truly AMAZING! Not only the talk, but spending the evening at dinner sitting opposite those two legends of the hobby will be an experience I will treasure until my dying day. :D

Edited by humbug, 21 January 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#12 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Don't forget to get your tickets for March Meeting. Don't leave it until the last minute please. Only $25 with food and drink included.

GRAB YOUR TICKET HERE.

#13 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

Only a month to go. If you're planning on attending the March Meeting with Anton and free food/drink, please look at purchasing your ticket ASAP.

Thanks

#14 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Come and see Anton Lamboj at the March 1st PCS Meeting night and you can buy a ticket to win this awesome raffle prize -

A full ADA aquarium set up with glass stand and LED. We'll even throw in some extras to get you going. Raffle tickets will be $2 each or Six for $10 on the night.

ada_4.jpg ada_3.jpg

ada_2.jpg

A very special thanks to Chris Derby from Fishroom in Mandurah for donating this awesome prize to PCS for our special night.

rsz_fish_room_logo_final_1.jpg

Support the PCS and grab a ticket and come along Tuesday March 1st Meeting - Anton Lamboj. All public are welcome to purchase a ticket.

PCS has made it a cheap night @ $25 per person (unlike last year) and you get free food & drink. You'll get 2 talks delivered from an awesome international guest speaker and book writer.

Please by a ticket to this event. A ton of effort went into it's organisation and a huge cost to PCS to bring it's members international guests of this calibre.

Entry tickets available online HERE. You can also pay for a ticket at the PCS Auction Night Tuesday 2nd February.

#15 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Another 6 tickets sold at last nights auction.

And I just bought mine online.  Snap one up while you can!

https://www.eventbri...ets-20594072425

#16 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

Clicked on the link and its asking for $26.62. I thought its $25 a ticket. Is that a mistake or that site is charging $1.62 extra for fees?

Edited by YIN93, 03 February 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#17 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Yep, Paypal fees... sorry about that buddy, if you want, come to see one of the committee anytime before the meeting and we'll sort you out without paypal fee :D

My fee is just a beer :P

#18 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

Bahahaha cheers. Just wanted to know why there was a price difference.

Edited by YIN93, 03 February 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#19 tropheus

tropheus
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

I'm in <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

The difference is the fee that Eventbrite charges for hosting the ticket system and processing into our account.

It's minimal and saves the PCS a lot of time and you get a physical ticket to print or show straight from your phone. means people can grab a ticket anytime.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users