Delapool's 150 Gallon Tank

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#101 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Did the weekly pwc and took the top off that red plant doing well so I could replant it. Another flower has popped up (wish it would put more effort into growing leaves but dare not complain). Very little algae still (except the above GSA on red alt) so the higher light looks ok and the giant hygro has taken to growing again. Fish seem good, much more lively this week with lower co2. Edit - must of pinched the flower stem as all shrivelled up. Cut it off.

Edited by Delapool, 10 September 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#102 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Advice back (although from overseas so may be off) is the red plant doing well looks like Ludwigia Reopens. I looked it up and under high light it said it will grow at an angle which could explain what I have been seeing with growth.

One of the red alt stems detached and I'm eyeing off pulling most of it up in my week off. I've got at least 4 stems of the one doing well so that would give me 4 cuttings.

#103 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

I've got the balance right with co2/lighting etc on a small tank, and I'm considering some of the harder to grow plants like red stems etc.

I think you've just motivated me to give it a shot

#104 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

:) These are looking really good. I've got a week off after next week so  I think I'll start replacing the red alt. The one I trimmed has already put out decent side shoots.

Strangely enough I would swear this is also on the other side of tank but doesn't look so good. Perhaps as there was no CO2 reactor on that side until recently (maybe).

Congrats on getting the balance sorted! Are you running all LEDs? 

#105 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

I reduced the blue leds to 0% and put the white red green to 100% & the plants started pearling.

#106 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

I reduced the blue leds to 0% and put the white red green to 100% & the plants started pearling.

Nice! Thinking of swapping the quad t5ho over to LEDs. It's mainly the bulb replacement expense as otherwise happy with it.

#107 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

Got another flower stem and poked it out of a gap. Just long enough so hope it survives. The other flower is still there. I bought a paintbrush to brush along the flower and will hopefully get seeds. Never done that before so will see how it goes. (It could stop with the flower stems now, not sure how to stop it :) ).

#108 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:22 PM

Darn flower stem was resting against the LED and must of been cooking. Put a pencil between it and light. Flipping plants.

#109 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

Planning to take some trimmings of ludwigia to start replacing the red alt this long weekend. So not much filling in of tank yet. The GSA doesn't seem to have made a dramatic return. Been so busy though that testing and ferts dosing has been a bit erratic. Got a week off to check out. Also still to properly check out the wilted first flower - I think there are tiny black seeds but not sure.

Edited by Delapool, 24 September 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#110 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:40 PM

All the red alt was pulled out and replaced with ludwigia or Java fern plantlets that I decided to harvest. Hoping it all stays put. Pics tomorrow when I can see what I did better.

#111 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:07 AM

A minor update. The Aponogeton Crispus has leaves visible now from front of tank so think that has doubled in height. No more flowers, might have given up on me. Been super busy so haven't done anything with testing phosphates or seeing if I can get seeds off the first flower plant. No GSA on glass yet so fingers crossed it has settled down.

#112 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

Spoke too soon. Just removed a few spots of GSA at base of tank. Forget b12, light, ferts and other stuff - I think it just grows if you think about it...

#113 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

Text messages you don't want to get....

OMG a fish just jumped out and was flopping around on the tiles. I put him back

#114 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Flipping young yoyo loaches. Looking a bit sorry for himself so fingers crossed.

Put some plastic sheet around cover gaps at tank filter pipes and will see about something stronger this week.

Sadly had already lost one earlier in week so debating on getting any more or just sticking with two old ones + this new one or trying some more.

#115 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

Generally happy with tank now and just letting plants grow in a bit more.

(The call of the discus is getting stronger though :) ).

74564-albums13177-picture70621.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70623.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70622.jpg

#116 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Little yoyo loach seems ok. Not bad for a 6ft fall onto tiles.

Third flower is out of tank. Took a bit of sorting but seems to be staying put.

#117 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Looks like it's been some time since my last update. I've been pretty busy but also having trouble getting the photos into photobucket or emailed as files after the last iphone system update :(

I hacked the tank plants back a bit before going away to Eastern Australia and the left side is still recovering :) Right side is going nicely so planning just to trim a bit. The left side has some shoots coming off the trimmed plants so should start to thicken up. In hindsight I should of removed some of the red stem plants not doing so well and replaced them with trimmings. But all up liking the tank and still very easy to clean.

The flowers are still defeating me. They really die off / wilt back after a water change so this one I've let grow to the front of the tank in the direction of water flow and it is easier to let it drop down a bit during a water change. I think this is the 5th flower. The stem is around 3ft long(!) and there is a second one trying the same thing. I'm letting the stems sit in the water for some time until the flower is well on its way which seems to reduce stem bruising from filter outflow.

Nitrates at 5ppm and phosphates at 5ppm. Might have to dig out the nitrate ferts. Sadly lost another 2 congo tetras for no reason I can pick (unless it was the CO2 again). The little yoyo loach that jumped out is doing well and hopefully will make it to the store this week to pick up some more. 

The betta looked like he got fed the same amount as the DT while I was away so is on a diet (doesn't seem thrilled about it...).

74564-albums13177-picture70682.jpg

Edited by Delapool, 02 November 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#118 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

Looking good, i like how the plants are now starting to cover up some of the equipment. :welldone: :goodjob:

#119 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

^ ornament hater

#120 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

erk, will hide the bubbler on the prate chest :)

Thanks for the feedback. I realised I tend to prune plants from left to right so the left side got hacked and gave up on the right side. Was looking a lot better on the left side but got carried away....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users