Photo

Found These Guys Down At Point Walter

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 0zarrian

0zarrian
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

So i went for a walk down by point walter and theres is a nice point that sticks out in the water with loads of rocks just under the water, thought I would have a look, sure enough first rock i picked up had these snails all over it, and what looked like some amphipods. my questions is does anyone know what type of snail these guys are and are they of any use to us and are you allowed to take rock from the beach here in WA, and if you did how would you clean it

IMG_0877_zpsgfkwqqrr.jpgIMG_0876_zpsnjhewpdn.jpg

#2 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

I am unsure of the snails but you are not allowed to take rock from the beach but we all do it anyway, soak it in water for a week first! This is my dads limestone we got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

weve always called them limpets and they live in the tidal zone. used them for bait and ive heard of people eating them but it would be alot of effort for not much meat

#4 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

never heard them called limpets, they look like chinese/coolie hats[ i mean the limpets ] very similar in habit to abalone,tend more to the shallows and are slightly conical. I have always known the ones in photo as periwhinkles but am certainly not sure thats a true id,them,chitons ,mussels and to a lesser degree limpets { more southern in my experience ] used to be plastered all over every rock groin,mole or concrete plyon all up an down our coastline. Am going back a couple of decades though, unfortunately over fishing had some impact but the biggest impact was industrial pollution and more specifically a now banned antifoul agent. Huge plume of contaminated water from rockingham out to rotto and back to hillaries it interfered with the gonads and thereby reproduction. If your keen on that sort of thing go and have a good look at night there is a few very resiliant critters left, a couple of other types of vegeterian snails and a carnivorous one very similar in appearance to mlt. It bores holes through the others and reaps the reward.Go upstream towards blackwall reach and you have more limestone, discover different sorts of crabs,anenomes maybe a mantiss shrimp if your lucky [ only ever saw 2 locally ] Go snorkeling and look carefully and there is reasonable numbers of seahorses, very hard to spot though you have to tune in.Some years we have blooms of starfish and even nudibranchs but is becoming less common or maybe i dont get down there so often

#5 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Look up Nerite snails....

#6 Dazzab

Dazzab
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

my brother in law cooked them and ate them they taste like @!#@

#7 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

They could have been poisonous c'mon man common sense!

#8 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

comment deleted

Edited by Jason82, 05 March 2015 - 11:04 AM.
You know why

#9 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Mr Docfish is right (as usual... :D )

The black nerite Nerita atramentosa (or something of the same genus) looks the most likely candidate with its black operculum!

http://seashellsofns...atramentosa.htm

Reeve described and named Nerita atramentosa from the Swan River in 1855...

... They feed on the thin film of microalgae on what appears to the naked eye to be bare rock surfaces.

As for eating them (https://foragersyear...ible-sea-snail/)

Go for it.... but don't say you weren't warned if you get sick!!!

"The even smaller black nerite (Nerita atramentosa) occasionally gathered by Mediterranean and Asian Sydneysiders from the intertidal (and a big component of most rocky shore Aboriginal middens) also finds favour with some, often thrown in the shell in with soups or stews to add their whole flavor and some little winkle-picked morsels."  :wacko:

#10 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Interesting links, good on ya. You wont get sick eating these unless they are contaminated/polluted by some external factor, i have eaten them as a young fellow but they dont really stand out in my memory { probably more to do with reward for effort rather than taste ] we concentrated on abs and mussels.Have tried the limpets some one mentioned [ taken south of dunsborough whilst harvesting abs ] Good size, as big or bigger than your average roei ab, not a bad taste but much tougher than abs which arent tough at all if treated right.2 mistakes i have made with shellfish, no 1,  32 years ago after a dismal pig hunting outing [ no pigs and a disabled vehicle ] wet,cold and miserable walking back to nearest town, crossing a creek i poached some marron and fresh water mussels [ yes yes i know, but no one did then ] marron were good but the mussels? i have never eaten anything that tastes so much like mud. No 2, back another 20 years or so pulled some giant clams nth of carnarvon [ was legal at the time i checked with fisheries ]  Waste of such a beautiful animal, flesh shrunk to bugger all and tasted much the same as mussels your better off fighting to harvest those very difficult to harvest oysters in the same region. Sorry people back to the topic lots of interesting stuff still in the river a lot of it best found at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users