Moving Large Aquariums

moving aquarium transport

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but what are the ways you guys have personally moved large aquariums? A 6.5x2x2.7 (300kg?) peaked my interest and now I'm curious about how a tank that size would be moved? Are there any "tools" to make moving a tank that size any easier / safer? 

;)

TIA

Edited by Leichardti, 11 November 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Aiden

Aiden
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Clearing everything out of it for starters. And if you can't 4-5 people should be able to do the job

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

You can personally only move up to a certain size. I wouldn't move anything bigger than 6x2x2 - you need to keep in mind that if YOU or your mates break it, it comes out of your pocket. If a company breaks it, they pay for it. Helpful equipment:

• trolleys with large, soft wheels (will make the job MUCH easier)
  • glass suction cups (the pros usually have those when they move large tanks)
  • gloves
  • temporary stands like wide, long, flat blocks of wood if you need to set the tank down on uneven areas

Biggest I have personally moved was 6x2x2 with just one mate - never again. ( I can't lift heavy anyway these days, bad back).

Generally for a large tank, 4 guys is the go. Plan your move - make notice of potential set down areas, potential hazards along the way like steps, potholes etc where people can trip or slip. Make sure the target area is clear and all angles are ok for the tank size. You don't want to go half way and then there is a corner you can't get around. And of course empty the tank as much as you can, ideally you just want the glass.

Most important: tell your crew your plan! Tell them which way to go, what to do if they need to set it down, and to speak up if they need to readjust their grip.

The largest tank I have seen being moved is my 8x3x2.5 - it has been moved twice, both times by pros who have done this before. The last move they had suction cups, scissor lift and 6 strong guys - it was still a huge effort to lift it up on the stand which is higher than normal. They had 4 guys lift one end up with suction cups, then change side and had all 6 lift the other end, then slide into place. A few selfies with the tank were taken afterwards to show their boss :)

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hey Tim, what company did you use to move your big tank?

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

That was two years ago, they were called Fair And Square Removals and came recommended by Aquotix if I remember correctly.

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Cool thanks man. I'll keep them in mind. I'm wanting to get some more tanks again and give breeding another crack.

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Do they operate out around Midland area? Probably looking at shifting just a 4ft next year some time and I’d rather if I can it done by someone.

#8 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Not sure, you'd have to call and ask. But being a moving company I'd expect them to service all Perth areas. A 4ft tank isn't so difficult to move though - you'll probably pay more in moving fees than it cost to buy a brand new 4ft tank.

#9 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

Good point. I didn’t think on that. Some little old guy was on one side last time when it was dropped around from midland pets store (when it was going). Two of us on other side (as height at 2.5ft) to bring front in.

#10 P Mills

P Mills
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Best Guy I found was Janos from "Fish to do"  0409 082 135

He moved a 3 mtr one for me & made it look easy

I would highly recommend him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users