zambia?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bigfish

bigfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2003 - 11:23 PM

hey guys,
I know we have had this conversation one million times but aquotix has some fronties labled as zambia. they are young but don't look like any fronts that i have seen. the shade of blue looks very similar to all the pictures i have on the net.

is it posssible that these are the real thing? and not well coloured 6bars.
well i myself am asking for some pics of the adults or if i can see the colony before i believe what they are:x :lol :x

could we have zambia in Perth that is the question i am asking, cause i suppose anythin is possible:good :b :good

#2 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:55 AM

Yeah its very hard for a LFS to classify a speices which has so many similar speices.

The fish could be anything or it could be the real deal but its quiet impossible to find out the truth.

Mabey DNA testing?

#3 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:07 AM

I know where that colony is and can say that the parents are lovely. As to what the LFS decide to label them as once a sale is made is not in the hands of the supplier. Maybe they are, maybe they're not.

wys

#4 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:17 AM

Yeah but mabey the supplier is lieing just to sell the fish which isnt good :rolleyes

#5 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:16 AM

No lies were told. Alex you know the selling technique of said shop (remember the synsp. episode??)

wys

#6 yaldaraisamonkey

yaldaraisamonkey
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:39 AM

How much for each Fry?

#7 bigfish

bigfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:21 PM

they where $35 for 1 inch fish

hey wys,
as you have seen the colony do you believe these fish are zambia or could you supply us with some photo's. cheers.

p.s if you don't want to post here could you post me a msg so i can get to the bottom of this!;)

#8 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:35 PM

Hi Bigfish,
Here is a LINK to some comments I made last week and this will save me re typing them :p
All pics I have found of any fronts from Zambia, (mostly from Cape Chaitika in the very south), the fish have the 6th bar very wide over the top of the eyes coming partway down the front of the face that will eventually cover most of the hump. It is not a thin bar over the top of the hump like a Burundi.
I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the different barring rather than just the colour of the fish.

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

#9 7BARfrontosa

7BARfrontosa
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:43 PM

community.webshots.com/ph...4507lhGVic

Here is a zambian blue X. Notice how the bar on the head is thicker as compared with the burundi and would usually fold over horizontally joining the eyes. The ones at aquotix could be crossed because the person who breeds them keeps them with burundis as I was told. He has like over 50 full sized pairs of fronty's

Edited by: 7BARfrontosa at: 12/29/03 9:44 am

#10 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Anita. I haven't a clue what the location name is - I just know that they are nice. The frontie colony in question has a male and female from one source and three females and a male from another source. Upon saying that, both males exhibit beautiful blue colouring and the bar covers the whole hump and extends down the nose. Like I said, they were sold as 'fronties' - not as 'zambian'.

wys

#11 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:58 AM

wysiwyg take a photo of your fish for us :good

#12 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:14 AM

The young fronties at Aquotix were not bred by a guy who has 50 pairs. They weren't even bred by a guy!!!! Your info is incorrect.

wys

#13 bigfish

bigfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:40 AM

hey wys,
do you believe these fish are zambian?:x

#14 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:12 AM

Here are some photos of the parents

groups.msn.com/MerjosAquaria/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=39
groups.msn.com/MerjosAquaria/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=40
groups.msn.com/MerjosAquaria/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=41

wys

#15 yaldaraisamonkey

yaldaraisamonkey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:20 AM

mmmmm so nice...
myyy prreeeccciiiiioouuussssss! :eek

...yeh i just saw LOTR return on the king. :lol

#16 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:08 AM

Thankyou wysiwyg :good :good

#17 7BARfrontosa

7BARfrontosa
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 06:01 AM

my mistake then as I said I was told and I dont think they necessarily meant aquotix batch I just assumed, but there is someone who does have like 40-50 adult pairs in which they keeps burundi and zambian together.
Zambian and burundi's have been crossed together so many times that it's impossible to find pure zambian fronties this is why you may see the burundi's looking alot bluer than usual.
That pic looks oddly similar to some 6 bars that I have, come to think of it they look exactly like the ones I have.
here are some pics

community.webshots.com/user/ericfrontosa
Photos are in the second album

what do u think wysiwyg?

#18 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 06:13 AM

Pretty close I reckon. By the way, what is the frontie in your first album?

wys

#19 7BARfrontosa

7BARfrontosa
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:09 AM

That picture was for an earlier thread helping me to identify it. I didnt end up getting it because there would be no female to breed it with and had not gotten a definitive ID on it.

#20 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:12 PM

Wheww Eric :lol
The pics in the first album are Kigomas but not sure about the male - he is quite ugly actually but didn't want to say it and offend you :p
I think both you guys have too much variation from fish to fish in the width of the band where it goes over the hump. If you check Tang Cichlids in their Natural Habitat with the duboisi on front cover, you will have a 2 page spread of different variants.

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users