Heiko Discus Talk

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi Heiko

If you at any time decide to write a book on flowerhorns I would like to buy a copy, I think it could be a best seller!

Thanks again for your information, I agree there is alot of rumour and speculation out there about flowerhorns and parrots.

Someone needs to unwrap the mystery and rumour that surrounds these fish which as you know are getting very popular. Unlike the other man made varieties you mention such as discus and bettas which are accepted in fish clubs, the flowerhorn varieties and their keepers are being otracised from various fish clubs and receive hostility from some members.

The hostility seems based on beliefs that these fish somehow threaten the fish hobby, when logically speaking the flowerhorn threatens the natural central Americans in the hobby no more than the pigeon blood discus threatens the natural discus in the hobby.

Could you please clarify one thing, do you believe that all these flowerhorn varieties you name are not hybrids? (Zen Zhu, Golden Monkey, Kamfa, and Goldenbase Faders) if this is true is it possible to prove this to all the skeptics out there?

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#42 Heiko Bleher

Heiko Bleher
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Hi,

no they are not hybrids, they are simply breeding forms (and mutants), same as with those other fish species/groups I mentioned.

I am actally amazed about you all and the Flower Horn, because in most parts (except maybe China today and in Iran) the Flower Horn Mode is ended. Almost no one has or keeps them any more. The breeders in Thailand and Taiwan (where most are) feed them to the Arowanas, also in Indonesia, because they cannot sell them anymore. And you probably know, the make thousends of babies each time...

I hope you all invite me for next year (maybe end of May, after Singapore),, as Craig wanted me to come and also the ANGFA people. You all should get together and then we spend some time together and talk. I can also bring the expedition when I first caught the "Grand Grand Parent" of all Flower Horns... (1983).

All the very best,

always
heiko
www.aquapress-Bleher.com - Did you see my newest publication?

#43 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

We would love to have you next year again Heiko either in May after Singapore or in October when you have been to Brisbane smile.gif

Will speak again in the near future when its a bit closer as all of our members should have an oppertunity to see and talk to you in person and i look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers
Craig

#44 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Heiko are you going to Aquarama, if so I'll see you there

#45 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hi Heiko

Someone found this image on your site, I presume its the fish you are talking about? from what we can see this fish does not have much resemblance to the early flowerhorn varities? however the picture angle is not ideal for viewing the fish.

http://www.aquapress...?...ey=14&hit=1

I am actally amazed about you all and the Flower Horn, because in most parts (except maybe China today and in Iran) the Flower Horn Mode is ended.

When I was in Bangkok early last year flowerhorns were predominant in most of the aquarium stores I visited and the prices were still very expensive for the top quality fish(hundreds to thousands of dollars each $USD). I assume the stores stock what the market is wanting and if they were worthless feeders I assume the high prices would not hold. Also the hobby is in the USA, and the flowerhorn USA site has nearly 13000 members. Plus there are many other various dedicated FH websites, the dedicated Australian FH site has more than 2000 members with new members coming on every day, from what I can see the flowerhorn hobby is growing.

I also noticed in Asia that they use all sorts of fish for feeders, some species which cost hundreds of dollars here are used as cheap feeders for arrowanas in Asia, so I assume perhaps low grade flowerhorns that dont make the grading process are being used as feeders, however ending up as a feeder is not limited to the FH, low grade fish of any species can end up as feeders.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#46 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Aug 21 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also noticed in Asia that they use all sorts of fish for feeders, some species which cost hundreds of dollars here are used as cheap feeders for arrowanas in Asia, so I assume perhaps low grade flowerhorns that dont make the grading process are being used as feeders, however ending up as a feeder is not limited to the FH, low grade fish of any species can end up as feeders.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

In Vietnam, feeder fish are mostly snakehead fry & 2cent goldfish.. biggrin.gif

#47 Heiko Bleher

Heiko Bleher
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hi guys,

yes this is a bads angle of my photo. next time I come I show more.

Naturally there are still a few places (mainly China) where some can be seen and offered for 2000 dollars (hardly more anywhere), but belive me - not growing, with exceptions.

In Europe it is "O", no one wants it anymore, as it is a singular item in an aquarium and how long can you look at it? No special movements anymore (except when feeding), no real live... Maybe one year ago in Bangkok they were still and also some high priced, but who buys them? Very few. But again exception are there for sure (shops wnat to sell and have to).

The "fashion-fish" never had a future, same with Parrot Cichlid (now they try shiny ones and with all kinds of fake colours injected to move them, but the original one in Taiwain is fed to Arowanas, as the Flowe Horn there).

I do not want to talk anyone out of (his or her) Flower Horn, this is a matter of taste. I personally would only have a natural biotope aquarium with a natural decoration and fish community - that anyone can enjoy and learn from, every single day. One cannot learn anything from a single Flower Horn.

Anyhow, all the best to all of you and enjoy my new publication, it will be shipped tomorrow, thanks to all of you,

Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com

#48 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Thanks again Heiko, would be interesting to see some better pics of that fish and I look forward to your next visit.

As you probably are aware there are still FH competitions running throughout Asia, perhaps the widespread "amature fashion" and the high prices has been wiped out by over supply, but I can assure you there is still a large number of serious enthusiasts out there who share a strong interest in these fish.

I also enjoy the biotope aquarium very much, but after breeding cichlids and having biotope aquariums for more than 20 years the flowerhorn hobby is something new and interesting for me to explore. I am currently raising 2 fresh fish spawns, 1st spawn is Satanoperca Leucosticta, even though they are still eggs I know exactly what every fry will look like, the second spawn is the red dragon flowerhorn I pictured before, I have no idea of what they will grow into, its like a box of surprises for me, Im attracted to the individuality of the flowerhorn because no 2 fish are the same.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users