New Breeding Project!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Sep 22 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a spare old 4fter if missus doesn't let me have another tank (6ft)...
I'm grabbing the remaining 3 juvies from Aquotix, so will need more space.. LOL!

They're still juvies but showing some colours already, especially the reddish outline on their fins, and also the "red cap", although it's still early days! biggrin.gif

im here when u get some juvies, lol looking for some rare cichlids. want to set a 6 foot up=D although im thinking red caps are hugely exspensive ay?

#22 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Sep 22 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im here when u get some juvies, lol looking for some rare cichlids. want to set a 6 foot up=D although im thinking red caps are hugely exspensive ay?

LOL! I've already got some members "reserving" juvies when I'm successful with the breeding program.. biggrin.gif
My aim is to breed "rare" fish and share them with fellow members, and also help keep the species in WA... Lethrinops Red Caps will be first of many to come.. wink.gif

Expensive? Not really.. Aquotix selling them for $55 each.. so it's quite decent for a rare fish...

BTW, thanks everyone, for the encouragement.. I hope I won't let you guys/gals down... smile.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#23 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

$55 each? That seems very decent indeed... From some of the posts people made I was under the impression they were $100+.. Best of luck on the rare fish breeding program kev smile.gif

-Dave

#24 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

Looking good Kev wink.gif

#25 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys!

Within 2 days, they have more colour already, especially the fins! There are bluish sparkling "tinges" all around their fins. Some of them are also showing signs of the "red caps" which gives them their name. biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#26 Paddy

Paddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:40 AM

Well they've been settled for a week I think we deserve pics!

What do you feed the spawn once theyre ready?

#27 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

I'm picking up a new/larger tank for them today... Will update with pics when they've settled in... smile.gif

#28 AfricaFan

AfricaFan
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Kevin,
How are your red capz going? My largest male has started digging a spawning pit, about 15cm across. He is only about 7.5 cms long and the females are still too small to breed. But atleast he's thinking about it.

B

#29 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

G'day Brenton

My Red Caps are going great guns! The "dominant male" has now coloured up beautifully (60% of potential, I reckon). He spends his time dashing in & out of the rocks now.... Hopefully, it means he's organizing a buck's party... LOL! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#30 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Holy crap! I see one of the Red Cap males is doing his "moves/dances" in front of the the females!! Woooot !!!
Fingers crossed!!

I'm moving them from their grow out set up to a new breeding tank soon and shall update with photos, soonish! smile.gif

#31 AfricaFan

AfricaFan
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Kevin,
I noticed last week that one of my females had a slight bulge under her mouth. It wasn't easy to notice, and I had no idea how long she had it for. So, I carefully caught her to have a look. As I got her into the net she spat out 13 fry. They still had slight egg sacks, but were swimming happily. I put them into a fry saver and floated it in the same tank. But unfortunately by the next morning they had all died. I've never lost a complete batch of fry like that before, I assume that it was simply because they were a few days too early. The fry are also quite small for a mouth brooder, much smaller than EB's or EY's. (Water params were fine, so it wasnt that).

This particular female is still under 7cm and my male had been digging pits for the previous couple of weeks. So, keep a good watch on the females as I almost missed this one completely.

Cheers,
B

#32 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for sharing the experience mate, even though it didn't work out well for you....

Hopefully, I learn from your experience and have happy fry soon... smile.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#33 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Just a quick pix update on the Red Caps:

My dominant male
Attached File  DSC01925.JPG   152.37KB   92 downloads

They're extremely fast and it's hard to get a decent shot of them..

Will upload more pics soon.. smile.gif

#34 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Looking good Kev, if you like, I can swing by with the camera before or after the bbq?

#35 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Bro, you are always welcome at my place... you know that! smile.gif

Let me know when you would like to drop by etc. to make sure i'm home.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer of your photography skills.. lol wink.gif

#36 antisense

antisense
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Looking great Kev smile.gif

That male is coloring up beautifully!

Those mpanga's you gave me are breeding like crazy. Had three batches so far.

Hopefully I can get a couple of these Red Capz when they are breeding. Then my dream of stocking my community tank solely by your avatars will be achieved biggrin.gif

Antisense

#37 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (antisense @ Dec 1 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then my dream of stocking my community tank solely by your avatars will be achieved biggrin.gif

HAHA Matt! tongue.gif

Good to hear the Mpangas are doing so well for you! I'm glad the juvies went to a good home. smile.gif

Regarding the Red Cap., I might not sell the first batch because I want to increase my breeding stock... But, if I do sell then I'll probably offer them only to PCS Financial members initially...
I'll keep you in mind though! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#38 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

Finally!! A female Red Capuz is holding!! Wooooot!!!!

I have waited months for this... raising them from shop-bought juvies, and nurturing them with the best of everything (housing, food etc.), they have finally reached breeding age!
They normally swim as a colony, whether cruising around or feeding. Today I noticed that one of them was not feeding and elusive of the others (keeping to herself etc.). Upon closer inspection, her mouth/lower jaw had a lump, which is quite similiar to when Mpanga & EY's breed/hold! So I am quite confident that she's holding a brood of eggs!

I am ecstatic! biggrin.gif

I'd take photos of the holding female, but she hides too much. Also, Oliver has got me working overtime on his systems... sheeeesh! tongue.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#39 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

grats mate, hopefully she goes the whole way!!! Really happy for you biggrin.gif

#40 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

Congrats Kev! smile.gif

Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users