• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

Tarpon
Your post was not edited,in fact I directed people to your original statement.
Nothing in this thread has been edited.

#42 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 13 2010, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this the reply you're on about Rez? Not edited out, just a different reply of yours.

Yes you are right Dazza. My over-sight, too late at night.
Anyway like mentioned previously, this post is about the Oreochromis................................ I personally know a journo at the West who wants to take up this topic on behalf of fishkeepers

#43 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

Lets organise this. If you have fish on the new noxious list PM Terry perhaps? Maybe even put that in the announcements section at the top of each page? More people = more credible media story.

#44 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

I would have thought that banning a fish and telling fish owners they have to kill their pet would actually increase the risk of them being released into waterways...

#45 luohanfan

luohanfan
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Sorry for your loss Terry. I agree with what you have stated; These are our pets, and we should not be forced to kill them.

It seems that many fish could be are on the same cutting board and it looks like most of the decisions could be made in a similarly poor way as what you are now facing with your lovely fish. I can understand your frustration as the flowerhorn hobby I enjoy is also attacked by people who lie and distort the truth.

I am a cichlid hobbyist and I am also a moderator of louhan aus. I myself and many of our forum members will be willing to show our support Terry, wether it be to petition or other, please let me know if we can be of any assistance to you and I will begin to rally for member support on our site...

Sincerely Paul...

#46 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

- Cleansed - Edited myself so as to not be inflamatory.

But to the point at hand, all laws should be challenged and moreso where they are being arbitrarily thrust upon the populace, if this doesn't happen we can all sit back and slide into a totallitarian system where the ideal of one outweighs the many. Their should be an outcry and we should demand that the Governmental body provides the proofs required (Impact on our wildlife) to make a species noxious.

Terry sorry for your loss. And comiserations to all those with similar losses and no voice.

#47 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

But to the point at hand, all laws should be challenged and moreso where they are being arbitrarily thrust upon the populace, if this doesn't happen we can all sit back and slide into a totallitarian system where the ideal of one outweighs the many. Their should be an outcry and we should demand that the Governmental body provides the proofs required (Impact on our wildlife) to make a species noxious.
Agreed.

As I mentioned previously, while we are aware of a few populations of aquarium fish existing in the wild, I asked an ichthyologist with 45years experience in the hobby if he could provide one example of an aquarium fish that has entered the wild and caused a native species to become endangered or extinct, he was unable to provide an example.

Im not sure how long the hobby has been in Australia, but my guess is it must be over 50years, so if in such a long time there has been no serious issue arise to date, why is our hobby all of a sudden being targeted? especially when the biggest "proven" threats to native species are environmental damage from human activity such as farming, mining and urbanisation.

I say we should seriously challenge this law before these beurocrats go to the next level, then it could be harder to stop their agenda.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#48 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Absolutely Den.

I suppose the obvious next questions are How? Who? When?

I can envisage a picture of Terry and his Oreo in much the same pose as Aquamojo and his zonatus recently posted. However Terry has a tear rolling down his cheek and a gunpointed at the poor Oreo's head while in the background a clock is counting down to July 23rd. Something shocking like this would grab people's attention and not be glossed over by the majority and I think we need a bit of shock tactics.

We need to make noise, get people's attention but then be able to follow up with some credible and detailed arguments. Strong arguments I think would revolve around the points mentioned about how aquarium fish have not caused anywhere near the environmental damage as gov't released fish (gambusia, trout) or agricultural practices, urban development etc. The killing pets argument is fairly loose but still quite useful in bringing people's attention to the issue.

#49 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Talked to my journo contact at the West who can help. She owes me big time for some dirt i dug up for her. Terry PM me a contact number should you wish for her to get in touch
I may not like some of you on the forums but I do like my cichlids

#50 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Tarpon @ Jul 13 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may not like some of you on the forums but I do like my cichlids

HEHE! That sounds funny!!! biggrin.gif

#51 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

I emailed the West on Sunday with a copy of my post, I haven't heard from them yet. Any help is appreciated.
Perthaqua@optusnet.com.au

Cheers Terry

#52 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Its good to see we can all come together like this, when I mentioned this issue on the Luohans site in the chat room everyone there wanted to help out, thats why you also see Paul here offering assistance as well.

We have until 23rd July to do something, lets not waste any time!

Can I make some suggestions to the members and committee;

1. We immediately start a petition and get it happening on all the aquarium sites across Australia.

2. Draft up a letter to the relevant minister in charge and get everyone to send him an email and/or letter protesting against this action and any future action on banning fish in this way.

3. Take up Tarpons gracious offer to get a story in the West

4. Make Contact with news program such as today tonight

We vote, we matter, we can change this

Cheers
Den

#53 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

This is all great, does anyone have relavant contact details for us to forward this information to?
I rang dept of fisheries today on there Head Office contact number of 08 9482 7333, and got no where the 2 individuals I spoke to could not tell me where a copy of the noxious list was held or what new fish were being added!

While I write this I have found the below:-

Ministerial Office
Contact the Minister
Honourable Norman Moore BA DipEd JP MLC
Minister for Mines and Petroleum; Fisheries; Electoral Affairs
Address: 4th Floor, London House, 216 St Georges Terrace, PERTH WA 6000
Telephone: 9422 3000
Fax: 9422 3001
e-Mail: Minister.Moore@dpc.wa.gov.au

Electorate Office
Electorate Office:...
Level 1
8 Parliament Place
WEST PERTH WA 6005
Ph: (08) 9226 3550
Fax: (08) 9226 2976
Email: norman.moore@mp.wa.gov.au
Email2: enid.russell@mp.wa.gov.au

#54 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Terry @ Jul 13 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I emailed the West on Sunday with a copy of my post, I haven't heard from them yet. Any help is appreciated.
Perthaqua@optusnet.com.au

Cheers Terry

A lady called Steph will call you over the next few days. I'll follow it up with her as well

#55 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Well if this is the guy we need to get to turn this decision over, lets make his email and PO boxes very busy!

Can the committee please provide some guidance as to what action it wants PCS members to take?

If we get working we have the numbers and we can have thousands of letters and emails on someones desk expressing our outrage and demanding change!

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#56 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Firstly, I suggest to write a traditional letter instead of email. I can't remember the exact numbers, but a letter is seen as representing something like 1000 people. Complaining in person counts for 10000. Email counts for less than 1. Again, not the exact numbers but it demonstrates that the more effort you put in to voice your concern, the more serious it gets treated.

As far as I am aware, any government department is obliged to respond to a letter. Not so with email.

The PCS committee cannot tell PCS members what to do in this regard, but we can formulate a position, the wording of which is surely to be discussed tonight at the CM meet.

#57 Link2Hell

Link2Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Kieran @ Jul 12 2010, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where does proof of ownership come into it? It was my understanding noxious fish were to be destroyed
and there was no compensation, no matter who the owner.

Keiran
this is the tip of the iceberg and after sorting the noxious list I feel they will turn their attention to the grey list
of newly arrived species
these are species that have shown up since the allowable import list was established

think about it ......................... how many species have mysteriously appeared out here

Chris

#58 Link2Hell

Link2Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

this was posted June 4 2010
sorry lost the original post to link to ........... note the line in bold below

have just returned from an OFMIG technical working group meeting in Adelaide. This meeting was to review a list of fish from the grey list using the risk assessment framework in the strategic plan using the Bomford model (detailed in the report) as a first line filter. All species identified by industry and hobbyist were passed for further assessment. An official communication will be presented in the next couple of weeks detailing the outcome. This is to ensure consistent and accurate information is distributed.
Before I went to Adelaide I met with a focus group made up of representatives from both the hobby and retailers and got input the species they saw as significant. I have also met with Fisheries WA with the intention of developing a working group in WA between the stakeholders to discus how WA will progress. I will keep you appraised on new developments as they arise.
I believe this process is necessary to ensure that we identify species that potentially pose a risk to our environment and manage that risk to allow hobbyist to maintain and develop their interests and protect the water ways. As hobbyist, enthusiasts and breeders we have a responsibility and the opportunity to assist in this process and ensure we achieve positive outcomes. I found the meeting to be beneficial and all those involved to be sensitive to the needs of hobbyists.
It should be noted that all recommendations will be made available for public scrutiny and comment before any decisions are made

For specific information about any part of the OFMIG process please Contact

Heidi Bartram
Primary Industries and Resources South Australia
Phone: +61 (08) 8226 2922
Email: bartram.heidi@saugov.sa.gov.au

Once the official communication has been distributed I will post here. More details will follow

#59 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

It should be noted that all recommendations will be made available for public scrutiny and comment before any decisions are made

This is the case and any recomendation are open for public comment. These recent additions to the noxious list are from the first round of talks completed over 2 years ago. At that stage these fish were not believed to be in the country.
This law has been passed and will come into force July 23. It is most likely to late to stop enfocement after that date. It is an important reminder that this process is going on and we need to keep informed and up to date of any further decissions. The OFMIG TWG that I have been a part of makes recomendations on which fish are of interest to the Hobby/Industry. However all fish are assesed for Risk to the enviroment and OFMIG are looking at a management plan to deal with fish that are considered high risk that are already in the country. This may work as a pemit system or restictions of some sort. This has to be worked out.
I have been speaking to Fisheries with the aim of setting up a focus group with representatives from the hobby, Industry and Fisheries to develop a WA management plan and open lines of communication between all parties.

Tony

#60 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

Why is it that we only hear about it after the decision has taken place? seems the process is not well advertised.

The tropical fish hobby has been going on for well over half a century without serious incident in Western Australia, there is absolutely no reason for our hobby here to be targeted.

The only fish causing some problems are species that were released by Government and anglers and these feral fish have nothing to do with the tropical fish hobby, they are all temperate species related to angling and mosquito control.

I will be very dissapointed to see this go down without a serious response from the PCS.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users