Sold A Possible Mphanga Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Can someone ID this fish?

I believe I know what it is.....But you tell me what you think..

#2 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

That fish looks like Mpanga...but crossed with some other fish!!! ohmy.gif

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

....with lombardoi ? Head reminds me of acei.

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Interesting isnt it?

They were sold to me at the last auction as Pseudotropheus sp. 'elongatus mphanga' ohmy.gif
I have bred heaps of these & you have as well Kev. Can you tell me that your fry looked like the above?
Because mine certainly didn't.

I know who sold them at the auction, and have been told he has been putting heaps on the market.
You know who you are, Can you post some pics of the parents?

#5 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

Correct Az, when I was breeding them I had "F1 parents", from you know who! biggrin.gif
Some people have bought juvies off me and I can guarantee anyone that my juvies did not look like that!!
I was also at Nick05's house a couple of weeks ago delivering some computer stuff, and saw the mpanga that he bought off me as juvies.. they looked just like my original F1 fish! smile.gif

Whoever is selling the above fish, please STOP!!!

#6 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Not mpanga for sure. Still got juvies growing up and frankly they are the same as adults. Looks like a cross between lombardio, but to many strips. How about flavus mixed in or something along those lines? Are the others showing same colours, and how is the colour in the water when they are happy?

I too was stung at a recent auction I attended (18 months ago) where I was to have mbamba bays, whereas they were hongi crosses. All were euthanised as a consequence. Not happy as I suspected there was a problem once I bought more to add to the colony...

BTW spelling should be mpanga, according to books etc I have seen. Mphanga?? Why/where from

#7 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

My guess is that this was not done with intent, but just another common mistake, so at this stage I would not be too hard on the person who sold these fish to you Azz, honest mistakes should be politely rectified and forgiven.

This is why I have repeatedly suggested that a reasonably clear photo should be compulsory for every fish sold on the PCS forums, and you may also need to make some kind of rule or procedure for auctions to stop unwanted types of hybrids which are mislabelled from spreading.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yes I have been stung a couple of times at the auction.
This time has really annoyed me.

From Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat 4th Edition Page 91
Pseudotropheus sp. 'elongatus mphanga' wink.gif

QUOTE (Den @ Jul 16 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess is that this was not done with intent, but just another common mistake, so at this stage I would not be too hard on the person who sold these fish to you Azz, honest mistakes should be politely rectified and forgiven.

This is why I have repeatedly suggested that a reasonably clear photo should be compulsory for every fish sold on the PCS forums, and you may also need to make some kind of rule or procedure for auctions to stop unwanted types of hybrids which are mislabelled from spreading.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Totally agree with you Den, Thats why I havent named the person. I would like to see photos of the parent fish and know what was in the tank with them.
I understand that all fish cant be viewed at the auction by the CM and be verified as hybrids, but IF this person did sell them intentionally, they should be banned as a club member IMO.
If I wanted hybrids I would have bid on them.

#9 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Even if we don't make classifieds photos compulsary how about requiring photos of the adults/parents when selling juvies at PCS auctions? Doesn't look good to be selling hybrids at our own auctions lol.

#10 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for clearing the name up Az. I have 3rd edition and name is mpanga (pg 65), but I guess its now reflecting the locations spelling 100%, mphanga rocks.

#11 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

question Az,

Have you let one of the committee members know so the user can be watched?

#12 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Kieran @ Jul 16 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how about requiring photos of the adults/parents when selling juvies at PCS auctions?

Kieran, i dont think this would work as its so easy to get pics off the net if someone wants to do the dodgy, puters make it soooo easy for the bad guy to sting people like Az who bought a crap fish

#13 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

i aslo baught some of these "mpangas" at the auction and they have way to much yellow through out the body. and the smaller ones are completly grey with black bars.
im either thinking they are crosses or they are just really crappy quality.

cheers,
phil

#14 sleepycod

sleepycod
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

need some feeders for my oscars n jags.....hehehe....gotta suck tho

#15 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

There was only 1 lot of 3 of these sold at the auction.
Az i will talk to the seller myself and see if i can help get the issue sorted out.

Brad

#16 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Hydonia @ Jul 16 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
question Az,

Have you let one of the committee members know so the user can be watched?

2 of the CM know I was searching for the User.

QUOTE (sleepycod @ Jul 16 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need some feeders for my oscars n jags.....hehehe....gotta suck tho

Already ended up as food wink.gif

QUOTE (bradfitzy @ Jul 16 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was only 1 lot of 3 of these sold at the auction.
Az i will talk to the seller myself and see if i can help get the issue sorted out.

Brad

Thank you Brad, I don't want this turned into a witch hunt, That's why I didn't mention the seller. *Puts pitch fork away for now*
If it was intentional, I would be really jacked!

#17 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

mm this pisses me off to, not necessarily private sellers but some of the pet shops down here in bunbury * i would like to name but i shall not* some just really dont know what they are talking about!(never had this with any of the sponsors or perth lfs's ive visited). for instance i was after a pleco just a common nothing special went to this particular store and they wanted $75 for a 3cm COMMON pleco! the lady that was head of the fish part also said i could keep this in a 2 foot tank long term tongue.gif... seriously sponsors open a shop down here!:) p.s none of the above includes south west pets.

#18 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

Man that's so bad, i hope this gets sorted out real soon... i would hate to see people stop going or avoid buying fish at the auctions because this issue sits at the back of people's minds if it doesn't get stamped out quickly.

#19 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (ZOLTAN @ Jul 18 2010, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man that's so bad, i hope this gets sorted out real soon... i would hate to see people stop going or avoid buying fish at the auctions because this issue sits at the back of people's minds if it doesn't get stamped out quickly.

the ones i origionally got of you az where real? they look it and you said it was from your couple? because if not then all of bunbury has a hybrid... my bred alot and i sold alot here and there and there are alot of breaders from my origional 2 which came from yours?

#20 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

Smellsfishy, how long ago did Az give you those? Coz if it was from a batch a few months ago, it was from the colony which I passed on to Az (which were genuine F2 fish). Be proud of the quality mate! wink.gif

This is how a proper Mpanga should look like:
Attached File  mpanga1.jpg   124.95KB   48 downloads Attached File  mpanga2.jpg   131.6KB   45 downloads Attached File  mpanga3.jpg   128.92KB   56 downloads

*Above fish are actual fish of mine, and these were passed on to Az a few months ago... they look NOTHING like those hybrids!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users