• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Terry @ Nov 13 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tranced
Smoking is not good for you, with all the advertising warning about the dangers of smoking I cannot understand why young people start.

+1

#22 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

+2

#23 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

+3

#24 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

+4

8 months since my last smoke.

#25 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

+5 they stink.
i hope your atleast a responsible one thay doesnt stand on main pathways where people have to hold there breath to get past you. or leave your left over buds around.

#26 Dr_Pat

Dr_Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

+6

and some extra fun facts about smoking:
-smoking causes cancer of the lungs, nose and throat
-in the event a piece of that cancer breaks of and invades brain tissue and hits the bit for perceiving pain, no painkillers will help and you will spend years feeling like someone is running you through with a knife
-smoking puts you at higher risk to pretty much every other disease.
-last but certainly not least, smoking has massive impacts on other people. Children whose fathers smoke are more likely to develop leukemia and asthma for example

One more- if you stop before you're 30 y/o effects can be completely reversed....providing you don't already have cancer.

Good on you Terry.

(also this is not an attack, but it seems there are a lot of people who arent aware of many of the risks)

#27 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

+7

when i see a smoker - i think are you plain stupid or just dumb that you dont understand any better!!! ohmy.gif

going back to the original question.... i wonder if the water parameters at this "LFS" are very poor - but the fish have acclimatised to them.. then you bring them home and house them in pristine water conditions and some of the fish have trouble adapting back to good water?????

#28 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

Rofl... Poor tranced smile.gif

#29 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:49 AM

yeah well maybe PCS should be contacted. they should be making sure that one of their sponsors are selling decent stock to their committee members & the public after all.

#30 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

pm the name please, when i go to perth i like to stop in at a Lfs and i dont want petentionally bad quality fish that will die.
because i dont get up to perth much so there wouldnt be much i could do.

#31 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

thanks for the tips rolleyes.gif at least im doing something that only really harms myself, fortunately that is my legal right woohoo lol tongue.gif

#32 alex101

alex101
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

well +8 my 2 of my uncles and my grandad died from it

#33 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (drukqs2369 @ Nov 14 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah well maybe PCS should be contacted. they should be making sure that one of their sponsors are selling decent stock to their committee members & the public after all.

as far as i know it isnt a pcs sponsor anyway.

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Bugger the compensation from the LFS. I want some for the last 5 minutes I just wasted reading this thread.

#35 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

I get it, maybe the problem is this LFS let their fish smoke?

If the shop was selling nothing but sick fish on the verge of death they would have no fish to sell, because if they die in your tanks so quick and if the problem is the shops water, then the fish in the shop should die just as fast as your did, or even faster, since if your not at fault then your tank should be offering better conditions for promoting longevity, right?

I also imagine the shop would be out of business within months, yet according to you the shops been running for over 5 years so Im not so quick to blame the shop.

Even when aquiring sick or battered fish, as long as they are still eating Ive noticed that if you put them in a tank with good conditions they will generally come good.

Since they are dieing so fast it could be something related to a product you are using "that could be faulty", also the way you are aclimatising needs to be revieved, your temps, tankmates, decor, the environment your tank is situated in, oxygen levels, etc, etc. just cause your ph, nitrites and ammonia might be OK doesnt clear your water from the suspect list, theres a thousand other chemicals that you arent testing for.

I think you need to review every product you put in your tanks, and especially anything you add during aclimatisation.

If you seriously want help people with your problem can you please post a picture up of the tank or tanks your are putting the fish in?

Cheers
Den

#36 Graeme76

Graeme76
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

Here's the details of the tank: 122x45x45cm, 2 x Eheim 2215 canisters, 300w Jager heater, 450mm air stone. The filters spray bar is aimed across the surface of the water so between that & the long airstone, there's heaps of surface movement for oxygen. I have mesh lids (pvc & plastic craft mesh) so that I can have fans blowing on the surface on hot days. Evaporated water is replaced with RO water. The temp is 25.5c & has never exceeded 28c even on the hottest days. The tank is located outdoors on my back verandah so the air being dissolved into the water is clean. Lighting is natural light until about 6pm when 1 x 40w T8 comes on for 1hr. I use NO CHEMICALS other than API dechlorinator.

Water changes are 65lt twice per week (Wed & Sun). The water is preheated in a tub purchased for this purpose & never used for anything else. There is a 500lt/hr pump in the preparation tub that circulates the water within the tub & can be redirected to pump the water into the tank proper. The pump was purchased new for this purpose & has never been used for anything else. I add nothing at all to this water other than 1ml API dechlorinator. The water comes out of the tap at PH 7.6 but after circulating in the prep tub for 24hrs that comes up to 8.2. I would conclude that my tapwater contains high co2 levels but the PH comes up as it gasses off.

Decor is granite rocks that I have had in various tanks over the years & have not had a problem with. They were scrubbed & boiled before use in this tank. There is a small piece of prepackaged wood that was bought at a sponsor store & was also scrubbed & boiled before use. Substrate is limesand purchased from sponsor store. There are a few shells also purchased from one of the sponsor stores.

I use the drip method to acclimatise the fish. I pour the fish & water from the bag into a clean 20lt bucket that was purchased for this purpose & has never been used for anything else. I then siphon water from the tank to the bucket using air line that I clamp with vice grips to slow the flow. The fish stay in the bucket for about 4hrs until it has drip filled to approx 3/4 full. The fish are then netted & transfered to the tank proper.

Diet is NLS Cichlid Formula & HBH Veggie Flakes & Wardley Algae Discs. I feed twice a day no more than the fish can eat in 3mins + 1 x algae wafer at night. I do not feed at all on Fridays.

Tankmates are 3 Electric Yellows (purchased 5 & 2 died within 4 days), 4 Mainganos (purchased 6 & 2 died within 2 weeks), 4 Rustys all purchased from sponsor store & with no problems, 3 x Synodontis Multipunctatus purchased from sponsor store & with no problems, 1 x Common Bristlenose purchased from sponsor store & with no problems.

The Rainbows are in my 6x2x2ft tank & the details are basically the same except the water changes are larger, the decor & substrate are different & the PH stays at 7.8 due to lots of wood in the tank. All fish in there have been fine except for Rainbows purchased from the problem LFS. If you want more details about this tank I'll make a post with those details tommorow.

#37 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Fish sitting in a bucket for 4 hours doesnt sound that great to me.

#38 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

especially if the bucket is outside!!

#39 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

The tank is located outdoors on my back verandah

How well insulated is the verandah? all these deaths arent happening during winter by any chance? if you are getting wind on your tanks and during cold mornings your temps could be dropping well below tropical levels, or at very least fluctuationing dramatically over a 24hour period, Id like to see a 7am temp readings across winter.

Also I noticed that the species which have died are those I would consider are more sensitive to cold water and temp fluctuations, and those that have survived are likely to handle the odd minor chill.

From the information you have supplied, at this point my suspicision is your temperature, though that could change depending on your feedback.

Cheers
Den

#40 Graeme76

Graeme76
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

4hrs in a bucket is no problem for a fish so long as there is new water being added constantly. I put a thermometer in the bucket to so that I can make sure the temp doesn't drop too low. If I have to acclimate during winter I put the bucket in my preparation tub that is already filled with water of the correct temperature & do the drip feeding in there. That way the bucket is surrounded by the correct temperature water & the temp remains stable at all times. The bucket sinks further into the tub as it fills with water.

The temps stay up where they are supposed to during winter. The verandah faces east & is 3/4 sealed in with a dense reed screen so it is very well protected from the elements. The tanks are well inside the area protected by the reed screen. I use a mercury thermometer & a battery powered LCD thermometer to monitor the temps. I've never seen them below 25.2c & I'm usually up at about 4am. The 300w heater was installed as bit of insurance against particularly cold nights & even on thevery coldest nights it still heats effectively enough to switch off. The mesh lids are replaced with the standard glass lids during the colder months to help hold the heat in a bit better.

I've had this problem with fish only from this store & also while my tanks were inside at my old house 2yrs ago. That house was climate controlled so heat fluctuations were not something I ever had to worry about. Fish from other stores never have any problems.

Because I forgot to add a pic of the tanks in my earlier posts, here they are.

250lt Mbuna
Attached File  011.JPG   89.07KB   53 downloads

6x2x2 Geophagus, Severum, Keyholes, Rainbows, Plecos & Cories
Attached File  009__7_.JPG   70.55KB   52 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users