Frontosa Location

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (Mynemesis @ Jun 10 2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have not answer my question yet fishlips. Im asking you where is Chumbu. From google it looks a lot like Simpson desert.

Pls also answer bowdy question while u at it. "why dont you call it Zongwe instead Chumbu"

Also pls link me to the info that stated that fact

Edited by Fish-lips, 11 June 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#22 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (Fish-lips @ Jun 11 2012, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow didn't know fronties were so variable according to location. Great source of info

#23 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Im hoping they find more diffrent kinds wub.gif

#24 Mynemesis

Mynemesis
  • Banned

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Chumbu is a desert! So this new fish come from a desert?

And again you are trying to avoid answering our questions

1. Is the variant Chumbu collected from Chumbu?
2. (bowdy question) if Chumbu was collected from Zongwe then why has it not called Zongwe?

Edited by Mynemesis, 11 June 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#25 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

He isnt avoiding your questions, he is trying to answer them
Dave didnt come up with the location names, it sounds like you are blaming him!

Maybe its the name of the reef the fish are collected from, similar to Ps. estherae "Minos Reef"
Maybe Chumbu is the name of the collection point, not the town.
Maybe its a nickname that has stuck for the jetty the boat is launched from.

What does it matter what they are called?

#26 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

Variant: Zaire (Congo, DR) or Southern Zaire (Congo, DR)
Collection Points:
Kalumba (Collected at Lupota?)
Kapampa
Kitumba
Moba (Collected at M'Toto)
Moliro
Tembwe

there are parts of the lake that havent had divers there so there will be more
these are refrence points.

Thankyou

#27 Mynemesis

Mynemesis
  • Banned

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I would like to thanks Melvin for the corordinate.

I would like to point out also that Chumbu itself is a desert (mention earlier) and that it is a lot closer to lake Malawi than lake Tang.

#28 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Frontosa are abeautiful species of fish i have many of them over 100 WC Adults mainly Zaire and all colonys look diffrent when side by side,

Edited by Fish-lips, 11 June 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#29 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Some good info on fronts here, didnt know the differences between all the varieties.

QUOTE (werdna @ Jun 11 2012, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have cleaned up this thread due to the fact that it was getting personal and I have had some complaints about it pm'd to me.

Lets try to stay on topic.

#30 Melvin

Melvin
  • Validating

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Fish-lips @ Jun 11 2012, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frontosa are a beautiful species of fish

Hear hear to that!

#31 Mynemesis

Mynemesis
  • Banned

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

fishl-lips wrote: Jun 10 2012, 05:58 PM
If you had 10 separate tanks next to each other with 10 diffrent types you can see the diffrence come around sometime and see my many colonies to see the diffrence

Now the key words i pick out from your quote above '10 separate tanks'.

Can i then ask a hypothetical question: Supposily if you have ten different variants mixed in ONE tank. Are you able to pick out which is which?

As i have mentioned ealier, there isn't much of a different between each variant. Some you can't even tell them apart so why pay more for some fancy names/location.

If you think the importers/sellers around the world NOT trying to put a fancy name/location on the fish to boost their sales, well my friend you are sadly mistaken!

#32 apistovits

apistovits
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

The answer to variants from what I have been told and learned from Ted Judy, is that the location name can not sometimes be the actual river system that they were collected but location where they are boxed and shipped from after collection, the fascination for these names and points is as fish lips difficulty in collecting them as there are some place that the people collecting are putting them selves in danger to get them for us. But a lot of People will go to these locations to collect them themselves as a bit of a trophy and see if they can find a new variant.

You comments about variants and distinguishing between them is a bit like humans we all are the same but different, Asians are yellow Europeans are white and indigenous are black we still carry same DNA just certain differences that make us appear different. And them it can be as simple are environmental Australian and Americans look the same but sound different, this can be applied to the location and collection points of the frontosa they all carry the same DNA but because of their specific living locations they have slight differences.

Just my two cents

#33 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Mynemesis @ Jun 12 2012, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some you can't even tell them apart so why pay more for some fancy names/location.

What variants specifically do you struggle with? Perhaps a more specific question may allow others with some more Frontie-based expertise to explain the subtleties not apparent to you.

#34 Mynemesis

Mynemesis
  • Banned

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

[apistovits wrote]...is that the location name cannot sometimes be actual river system that they were collected but the location where they are boxed and shipped from]

so is it fair to say for example that a Kapampa could be collected from Moba and boxed/shipped from Kapampa so they call called it Kapampa?

@ Leigh: im struggling with this variant

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=48422

#35 apistovits

apistovits
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

That is correct as kapampa would be on the export or transport papers. They explained something similar on an apistogramma forum as the question was asked about them.

#36 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yes I would be able to pick them,as I mainly deal with frontosa
Also there marking are diffrent there body and head shapes I have many varieties of these fish all with certs of proof of wild caught I can't help spending big dollars on these fish because they all look diffrent
Just like a stamp,car,bird collectors spose tropheus are the same,some look similar but people keep buying.

Edited by Fish-lips, 12 June 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#37 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Kapampa and Moba have big differences in color so the collection points are diffrent.
The topic http://www.perthcich...showtopic=48422
Is not a Zaire even though it is a poor photo bring the fish to me like I said in the post and I will sex it and pin point it

Edited by Fish-lips, 12 June 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#38 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm not sure why this is an issue, or even a thread. What is it to you Mynemesis what others spend their hard earned coin on?

There is a notable difference in localities, if you can't see it then either you haven't been keeping fish long or you are blinded by your apparent problem with locality specific varients and peoples willingness to spend big dollars on them.

This is very petty.

I love seeing Fish-lips pictures, not often to you get to see top notch WC locality specific fronty's. Much more exciting to me than just your run of the mill "6 bar burundi"

My 2 bob,

Alex

#39 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Fish-Lips = Frontosa King, I cant get enough of looking at his w/c photos they are amazing, the more you look the more you notice different thing about each variant

#40 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for your kind words in my veiw these fish look diffrent and i believe my supplieres are giving me the right fish every time with the frontosa there is a site called www.frontosa.com.au please visit this site to find out more on this species as this site is purely frontosa,i hope you find out your awnswers

Edited by Fish-lips, 12 June 2012 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users