Photo

Pundamilia Nyererei

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 atep32

atep32
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Anyone care to shed some light on what area/variant my fish are please.

They are breeding like flies.

Thanks in advance!

Peta.

Yes I am blonde...

Try this link thanks!!

http://s1272.photobu...ms/y390/atep32/

#2 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

i have no idea but i want some! got any for sale?

#3 atep32

atep32
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yeah 43 babies!
Plus the female is holding again and I only stripped her on the 21st of October! Tart. LOL.
I was hoping someone might have some of the same so I can get a different girl to introduce.

#4 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

these fish are from kenya and tanzania.

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

There from lake Victoria and look similar to mine when the young males are just starting to colour up. Mine are the Python Island variant and i have some spare females

#6 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I had nice Pundamilia Nyererei couple years ago and these don't look like mine. They look real muddy.

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

There only young and the water quality can effect their colour. If there not 100% happy then they don't display at there best.

#8 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

What sandgroper just said is so true. This contributes to the confusion of distinguishing.
I'm going to clear up the flameback varients here now, as I see the short discussions arise on them often.
There is one simple wide spread common flameback throughout lake Victoria and this is called ::::::::::::

Lake Victoria
Haplochromis sp
"flameback". None of these are in oz as far as I know (I do have my finger on oz's pulse)

The others are::::

Lake Kyoga & Nawampassa
Haplochromis
"red back scraper". None in oz

Lake Kyoga & Nawampassa
Haplochromis sp "ruby"
Aka ruby green. None in oz

Lake Victoria
Pundamilla Nyererei
"Mwanza gulf". None in oz
"Anchor island". They are in oz
"Makobe island". They are in oz.

These types I have noted are just the ones that look similar to each other in the way of the flameback look.
Haplochromis varients run into the hundreds with red on other parts of the body, no red at all, yellows, greens, some blue(not often) and blacks and browns.
In my opinion all are stunning fish and are worth collecting the arrayed varieties.

Edited by Buccal, 11 November 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#9 atep32

atep32
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Nov 10 2012, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had nice Pundamilia Nyererei couple years ago and these don't look like mine. They look real muddy.

Muddy? Thats delightful.

The photos were all taken with an iphone as I have misplaced my camera charger and is of the same fish. I only have one male and right now, and they pics were taken when his female was in a fry saver so he had no one to show off too.

Thanks for the replies everyone smile.gif

#10 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

2 posts in a week deleted, gee some people are getting a bit precious around here

#11 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I agree...delightful

Edited by choombies, 12 November 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#12 atep32

atep32
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Did I miss something here ?

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I feel like I missed something to.

#14 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

You both did, but I won't repost it. Your fish look fine and not muddy to me biggrin.gif

#15 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

my comment was nothing about quality I ment they are a lot more brown the the ones I have couple years age. I bought those off a member here aswell.

#16 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I got about 50 4cm fry at city barn come down and gets some guys smile.gif

#17 atep32

atep32
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Lol. No harm done from where I am sitting. I thought it was a strange comment is all! Wasn't quite sure how to take it, but I'm a big girl (with little breeding experience I might add) and as such advice and constructive criticism is always welcomed . This is why I joined the forum in the first place!

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

There nice fish and I bet they explode with colour when excited.
There are some nice Victorians about

#19 mattrox

mattrox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

In the book Cichlids of Africa Volume:1 Haplochromies (I would highly recommend you get this book if you are into Lake Victoria basin and related cichlids), the authors outline ways to identify the different location morphs that are kept in aquariums.

Description summary.
Makobe Island
The lower 2/3 of the head is black when in breeding display.
When not dominant the cheek and gill cover are orange-red and the face will appear to have 2 black vertical bars. The body has 3 or 4 stripes that go from the belly 2/3 the way up the body, with the bar just behind the gill blending into the black head in breeding display. The dorsal fin is the same red colouration as the upper part of the body.

Python Island
The most distinctive feature is the 4 bars that extend from the belly partially up the body with the bars on the tail "smudged" into a black patch. Unlike the Makobe Island there is one bar running across the forehead through the eye and to the bottom of the head without a second distinct bar on the gill plate. The upper part of the gill plate is yellow. The dorsal fin is a grey-blue colour.

Without breaking copyright, if you google photos of Pundamilia nyererei Python Island you will see the dark morph. You will be able to see how the barring blends into a smudge towards the tail and the 4 or so distinct body bars.

Anchor Island
This form has a slightly concave forehead. The body has 7 black bars along the body. The barring can be so wide that the bottom of the body can look solid black. The dorsal fin has white and red in the spiny section and red on the soft section. The jaw in this form starts in line with the front of the eye.
In the book Cichlids of Africa Volume:1 Haplochromies (I would highly recommend you get this book if you are into Lake Victoria basin and related cichlids), the authors outline ways to identify the different location morphs that are kept in aquariums.

It is clear from internet pictures that there is a great amount of individual difference, but these guide lines help distinguish different location variants. It is also clear Australia is not the only place where crosses between the morphs have occurred.

#20 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

What about the true Mwanza pics ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users