Are Dragon Blood Peacock Hybrids?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

The answer for me is quite simple.
It matters not whether they are hybrid or line bred. Neither should be encouraged to be bred and sold. The PCS's role is to maintain genuine species. Not Hybrids nor line bred fish so the arguement is a moot point on this forum IMO.
I have spoken to a few people from around Australia a number of months ago about this species. The common consent is that they are hybrid and at best line bred. That they have been produced and do not occur in the wild is without a doubt.
If you want a pretty fish in your tank and it must be a dragon blood then all is fine with me, if not bred and resold. The PCS has deemed it a hybrid (as I have) and all the argueing in the world isn't going to change it unless solid proof is produced.
The encouragement of labelling fish correctly by using locality has been pressed for many years. Common names like dragon blood is a clear statement that placing a locality is impossible (largly due to it not being caught in the wild). A name like dragon blood, using a common/shop name automatically places this fish under scrutiny and should be avoided because of it.
Anyone for OB Dimi's laugh.gif

Chuck smile.gif

edit spelling

#22 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

What evidence can you provide me to say they are not hybrids Shane? Several people are now saying they are line bred according to this thread, where did they come to that conclusion or are they just jumping on the bad wagon? Provide evidence that they are line bred and the PCS will re-evaluate its current definition.

Regards

Daniel

#23 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

I personaly dont like them my stage of peacocks is well over but i havent seen 100 % proof they are or arnt.

I cant prove they arnt and seams people cant prove they are but i hear what your saying.

No fear of me breeding them and selling.

So chuckmeister does that mean you feel the same about albino,s fish and cats and chocolate pleco,s and red zebera,s so on ? i dont like then it looks un natural.

And i quess that you would feel the same about colour morphs of other fish ?

P.s where did all the other go who didnt think they are hybrids are you all conviced or just sitting back ?

#24 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

As i said i cant prove they are not hybrids Daniel.

I also cant prove they are hybrids.

Line bred isnt a hybrid to me.

Can you prove they are Daniel ? if not why balck list them Daniel ? I wasnt taking the piss im actually very intrested in this subject

Cause i brought one a while ago i was told it was an average peacock but after doing some reasearch I found it was to be a blood peacock and since this subect keeps poping up but never seems to get answered i was hoping there was 100 % proof either way.

But it just seems to be opionated people's opnions.

And im no use i cant prove either way, but it was imo that they're not peacocks bred with peacocks

#25 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

Where Is every one else who didnt think they are hybrids ???

#26 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi Shane,

Your right I cant prove 100% that they are a hybrid, just like you cant prove 100% they are line-bred. But one thing I'm sure we can agree on is that there is not enough information currently available, which details how the "Dragon Blood" peacock came to be.

I think the PCS has taken its current view on this subject to urge on the side of caution. If the "Dragon Blood" variety do turn out to be hybrids and PCS did not take its current stance, the PCS would have egg on its face at the very least.

also,

Line bred isnt a hybrid to me.

The PCS defines varietys which are line bred, compared to those of hybrids to be different. Refer to Dave's post which simplified the subject.

Regards

Daniel

#27 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Daniel

Your right there is no way enough info on these guys that makes it so hard to have a proper discussion or enough evidence to not have a discussion !

When you put it like that about PCS stance on blood peacocks thats fair enough its a shame that we cant say 100 %

Thanks for your input, in future ill choose not to mess with the blood peacock at least untill we know 100 % i think thats the safest option which is a pitty because the one i did have was a very nice looking fish !

Cheers Shane

#28 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

IMO They are hybrids.

Reason: No scientific name.

#29 EL

EL
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:13 AM

Ok I was half convinced they are hybrids. I see alot of passion on this topic every time this comes up.
Now, just wondering where does pcs stand when it comes to discus? I know this is a cichlid forum.

I don't like any peacocks personally anyways. I bought them thinking they are not hybrids.

Craig I got to agree with you. Any fish which does not have scientific is a different species created by hobbyists and so on therefore it is not a naturally occouring in the nature.

The other day I saw a documentary "Cichlids of Lake Tanganyika". The narrator said a species is created just simply changing it's colour pattern but didn't go to much in details.

Regards

EL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users