Photo

Whitespot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#21 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

Yep, if you have never had whitespot, you have likely never had to order in boxes of fish every week. Complain to the lfs, they complain about wholesalers and they complain about breeders.

#22 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:59 AM

. Whitespot is the most convenient of the fish diseases, there are certainly far far worse things lurking out there.

thats for certain... the majority of fish keepers have never seen what can happen with nasty gram negative bacterias....

prevention is the best method for keeping your fish healthy - so keep your water quality/parameters good and the fish will take care of themselves.... 

i dont even have any whitespot medication on hand - havent had it for a very long time... and havent introduced any new stock to existing stock so im quietly confident im not gonna ever get whitespot again... but bacteria problems associated with poor water quality/parameters can effect anybody who neglects basic water changes and aquarium care.....

#23 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:05 AM

White spot is so Common in the fish trade, a simple shop shouldn't be blamed for.... Take it easy boys.... This is a hobby, don't forget!

it is a hobby yes,,,, but not for the shops.

#24 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

i think its very easy to point the finger and blame the shop

but there's a certain amount of responsibility on the buyer/fish keeper side too. 

Hence QT all new fish is a must (unless you're absolutely sure about the source of your fish and where its' coming from) and also if you haven't introduced anything new to your existing set up for so long. It's a 2-4weeks of patience and monitoring that will save you from having to medicate and treat an entire tank later on. 

#25 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Or don't use a quarantine tank.....  and buy meds to fix your fish :)

#26 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:17 AM

but there's a certain amount of responsibility on the buyer/fish keeper side too. 

that is only good for the experienced fish keeper that knows what he/she is looking at...

does that mean if i buy a puppy and find out following day it has parvo - i cant take it back to the seller and ask wtf is going on ???

fishops bear a certain amount of responsibility not to sell fish unless they themselves believe the fish is in good health and ready to go....  how often do you see written on a tank , usually in the middle of it so you cant miss it , not for sale ???? and you see a green/blue colour treatment in the tank , its definitely not uncommon and you know why - because the fishop has identified a problem with the fish and they are treating it... when the fish return to good health then they will be back up for sale... now thats a shop bearing its responsibilities... putting fish/hobby before money/profit..... there are fishop operator(s) that dont follow this.... 

so without naming anyone - every fishop is currently being scrutinized due to this thread... but from my knowledge there is only one specialty fish store that dosent take into account fish health before profit and IMO its due to limited knowledge in fish disease and a lack of ability to identify potential problems....

now heres the sad thing - if they learnt more about fish disease and prevented the spread of disease they would actually get a good reputation and more people would visit and buy more fish - so in the long run they will also see better profits.... but some people dont see this...

#27 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

so without naming anyone - every fishop is currently being scrutinized due to this thread... but from my knowledge there is only one specialty fish store that dosent take into account fish health before profit and IMO its due to limited knowledge in fish disease and a lack of ability to identify potential problems....

now heres the sad thing - if they learnt more about fish disease and prevented the spread of disease they would actually get a good reputation and more people would visit and buy more fish - so in the long run they will also see better profits.... but some people dont see this...

That is simply "your opinion" again and pushing your own agenda to continuiously attack this same store. 100's of people including myself have bought plenty of fish from the location you are trying to slander and not had problems.

You buy fish, you quarantine them and see what happens. Anything else you put your own tank at risk and can only blame yourself. That is from ANY source in ANY set-up.

This thread needs to focus on Whitespot, the cures and the facts.

Anything else and I am closing it down.

#28 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

thanks for highlighting my post - you must appreciate my honesty :) cause i tell it how it is and i wont be bullied or manipulated by others.... if i have an agenda please let me know cause i dont :)  

and your just trying to defend the store as they are probably a sponsor....  

perhaps more attention could be given to this sponsor to lift their game or you'll drop their sponsorship..... but you wont do that will you... its alright to run down one of your other sponsors months ago.....

it seems what is fair for one isnt fair for another - oh hang on i can see an agenda now... its called equality !!!

im guessing you wont leave this up cause you dont believe in giving everybody the same fair go... how un australian of you....

#29 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:50 AM

Hi bigjohnnofish,
didn't you have a dead fish in one of your auction lot two auctions ago. I spoke to you about it and you said you dropped the fish on the ground but still decided to put it in the bag for the auction. None of the stores do this. Pcs members explained this to the potential buyers and withdrew this lot from you. They gave a you fair go and defended you. So please don't call them un-Australian.
  • sue likes this

#30 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

I'm locking this thread as it seems to have become about a store, pcs sponsors and hidden agendas of private breeders.

I think the white spot issue has been discussed in enough detail to give people an understanding of this disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users