Murray Cod

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi Guys,
I recently obtained a 4cm Murray Cod Fry which I put by himself in a 20 litre tank and have been feeding twice daily with NLS in the morning and Frozen Brine shrimp in the evening. He initially hid all day and darted out only to eat. I have been doing 25% water changes twice weekly and in 6 weeks or so he has quickly become an 7cm fingerling and much more interactive and visible, he "recognises" me (his food source) and patrols the territory of his tank that will soon become too small for him I would think.

Has anyone got any tips on growing these guys up? Is he the same as most fry/juveniles? Lot of high protein and water changes? I believe they are slow growing by nature but mine is shooting up at the moment. I believe they are very shy and jumpy as juveniles. At what stage could they temporarily be put in a larger tank with fish around their own size? I understand that there is eventually a stage where this guy will become most unsociable and will require his own large tank. Looking forward to that day!!!

Just interested if anyone has any experience growing these guys up or are keeping an adult specimen? I find them fascinating.

Regards Patrick

#2 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

When i worked at a fish farm a while ago we had some in an aquarium that grew to about 20cm but died due to space restrictions and getting cold. We fed them on guppies, tadpoles, mollys and goldfish. They love the live food and grow alot better because of it. They really like terracotta flower pots as hiding places so it would be best to upgrade with the increase in size. But having said that people grow them for aquaculture purposes so a pellet diet and some live food for good measure would suit fine.

#3 Pat

Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

This can be a bit of a quiet section so I'll update my post!! tongue.gif
Muz is about 12cm now and enjoys a choice diet of culled Malawi and Tang fry (twice a week) along with NLS Cichlid Formula every morning. I don't want to feed him exclusively live food as I have heard that predators can turn their nose up at pellets to the point of starvation if live food is what they are accustomed to. This guy smashes anything live that goes in the tank. It barely hits the surface and BANG! I probably wouldn't buy or intentionally breed fish as food, that is not me (each to their own) but I do have to cull the fry I have and it's a convenient situation for him. I have to admit it is impressive, but there is rarely much natural stalking to watch. Occasionally the first strike is off target. The second one never is. He has learned that when the lid lifts, something tasty is going in.

These guys are great fish to grow up. Prettier than Barra and more confident at 10cm.

He's going to need his 3rd tank soon...

I will post some pics when he is in his next tank...

Edited by Pat, 01 September 2012 - 01:18 AM.

#4 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

How big a tank will he need when he is fully grown?

Any tank mates in mind? Or will he eat absolutely anything?

#5 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I used to have a 12cm one that grew to 15cm in about 3 weeks being fed on massivore pellets. The thing was never friendly to other fish from day one. Was always a bit shy but seemed to come out of its shell a bit after a while. I'd only put it in with fish far bigger than itself but not big enough to eat it (that was my mistake).

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

so what happened to it?? did something eat it ???

max size is estimated at 180cm..... but that would be a massive fish... im considering getting some too....

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Take one guess what ate it johnno haha

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

your mate jack ???

#9 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Bingo

#10 Pat

Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I bought him on a bit of an impulse at City Barn and initially put him in my community tropical tank as he was only small using the same logic as ice. Just to see how he went as he was too big to be eaten by and too little to eat anything in there, but being basically a fry with large fish swimming around he just hid the whole time. So now he lives a solitary life, which suits him fine I think. They seem to be very skittish when small but grow in confidence as they increase in size. I don't think they are community fish. I guess when larger they are a showpiece fish for the enthusiast with a spare large tank. I've seen some beauties on You Tube. I am still not sure if I am going to devote a big tank to him but that is a while off. Just enjoying watching him grow at the moment. I have used various spare fry tanks as he has grown. Problem is I'm a bit sentimental and I'm quite attached to him now so he could be prowling around a converted above ground pool in few years!! wink.gif

Considering he is only 12cm or so, he chomps 3cm offerings in the blink of an eye. Ruthless and efficient.

I remember seeing one about 5 foot long in Sydney Aquarium a few years back, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!!

Where do you get massivore pellets.... just out of interest? wink.gif

What happened ice?

Edited by Pat, 02 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#11 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

I get them from aquotix in 1kg bags. My mangrove jack tore mine in half. I had grown quite attached to the little guy but I only really bought him to cycle the tank. I'll get another one one day smile.gif

#12 Pat

Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Oh!!
Ok thanks I might try give him a boost!!

Pat

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

just feed him a heap of glass shrimp and guppies!!!that'll make him grow!!!!

#14 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

these guys are mint for aussie predators!!
my mates 30cm cod, belted a jardini (40+ cm) to its death over night, tried to eat a 15cm bullrout, and would attack the gravel vac etc, these guys have attitude as they start to grow, mate gave it away as it was a bit boring in a 6x2.5x2 with the one fish.

#15 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

i have a spare 4x1 atm and was thinking about getting one of these guys. would he do alright in it for awhile?

#16 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Probably 6 months with good filtration and 30% water change every 5 days or so.

#17 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

4x1 could only be a grow out for a tiny cod, only for a very short space of time. Very few have the means to care for these animals long term, and m-cod keepers eventually have to keep them alone.

#18 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

yeah was only thinking of one. Just be interesting to watch him grow as i only have malawi's atm so they dont get overly big and wanted a change.

I know its a bit morbid but are they any good to eat?

#19 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Furnix @ Sep 3 2012, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know its a bit morbid but are they any good to eat?

From NSW Fishing & Aquaculture
Murray cod has generated much interest in the live fish trade, due to its appearance and premium quality flesh and taste. Murray cod sold as a live product has been very well received, and is perceived by some chefs to be one of the best tasting freshwater fish in the world. This is reflected in the average price paid for live Murray cod

I am throwing some in my AP tank this year...

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nothing wrong with eating the odd aquarium fish. People gotta eat! Just be careful of any chemicals that are added to the aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users