PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Barbel problems in Corydoras

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2003 - 06:20 AM

Yeah, well lets chuck this one up as a new topic.

To tell you the truth I have no idea why it happens. I have only had it in two species, C sterbai and schwartzi.

Firstly a school of C sterbai lived for years in a African tank with a sharp shell grit substrate, hard water and high pH and happily reproduced ( yeah tell me about it, wrong wrong wrong! *shrug*, but they did). I moved then to a Sth American tank with nice rounded 3mm Coff's harbour gravel, pH in the high 6's and soft and they got whisker problems. Shotgun treatment stopped any fatalities but the have never grown thier whiskers back. Has not stopped them breeding tho, and they sure as hell can hunt down and eat newly hatched bristle nose.

The schwartzi;- getting on a bit in age and decided that it was about time I raised and kept a few youngsters to take over from the oldies so I moved them to a bare glass tank to condition and breed. Yep you guessed it, no whiskers in no time flat! Fixed the problem with the shotgun (broard spectrum antibiotics and anti fungal), Ya got to have a pet Vet to do these sorts of things, but so far have not got them into the mood. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What causes barbel errosion? I haven't the faintest idea :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users