Photo

Interbreeding( Hear Me Out)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Auzziebuddy

Auzziebuddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

This may be completely ridiculous so feel free to flame as needed.
I have read a few posts on interbreeding fish and that the result could be some of one parent, some of the other. And a mish mash of the two.
So I wondered.......if you had one particular fish of which you couldn't find a partner. Would it be feasible or has anyone tried, breeding two fish of the same species to get some fry of the wanted fish and culling the rest?
I'm just interested as there are a lot of fish that are becoming hard to find.
Would the fry then continue to have throw backs of the mish mash fish?
Of course I'm talking about closely related fish and only to get certain colour variations.
Just wondered.
Flame away!!
Matt

#2 yodapwnsasmurf

yodapwnsasmurf
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I think you're talking about linebreeding back to pure.

It's possible but not really a good idea.

#3 Auzziebuddy

Auzziebuddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ha ha. I'm not really sure what I'm talking about.
But for instance. You have one afra chewere male. Then breed it with say, hara female to produce more chewere.
Is that line breeding?

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

No thats cross breeding. You wouldnt get more Chewere.

#5 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

No, that is cross breeding, and frowned upon in the club.
You wouldn't be able to sell them here.

Line breeding, using your example, is selecting two chewere with desirable colours and breeding them to create more fish with that desirable trait.

Please don't do what you are suggesting, crossing two species of fish does not create a desirable species.
  • Fox likes this

#6 Auzziebuddy

Auzziebuddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi Andrew.
I wouldn't be attempting to do anything of the sort.
Please don't take it that way.
I have just often wondered, not just with cichlids, and not just within australia. If the breed is becoming extinct and very few fish are able to be located. Is it possible that they, being enviros etc could do that to preserve a species. Or would it always throw back to a mish mash at some level.
On your last point. If in theory it was possible to keep only the fry which were identical to the species trying to be saved where would be the undesirability.

And no. I wouldn't sell any fish on here.
Cheers
Matt

#7 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Good discussion here, interesting stuff, not about crossbreeding, but about getting the best possible stock.
http://www.cichlid-f...cdb0d64&start=0

#8 Auzziebuddy

Auzziebuddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for that. That's a really interesting read.
Cheers
Matt

#9 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Please don't do what you are suggesting, crossing two species of fish does not create a desirable species.

That's a pretty odd thing to say considering the popularity of fish like Flowerhorns and Red Parrots (there is a massive tank full of these that a sponsor, up until recently, set up not long ago), maybe it is fairer to say "cross bred fish may be unpopular with members of this forum and you should always clearly label them as what they are"?

Just stated for a varied view point on the "ultimate taboo".

Edited by Naraic, 22 February 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#10 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

A sponsor can do what they like in their store, the club has no right to say what they can and can't sell.
In my opinion, a flwerhorn is an undesirable species. I am entitled to my opinion.
I have no problem with people who keep them, just don't sell them on here.

The question asked is does crossing species of a threatened animal preserve its blood line.
The answer is no.
In fact, purposely hybridising a species to preserve it would do more damage as if they are released, no one would know if the species in the lake are pure.

There are hundreds of options out there to save a threatened species. Hybridising is not one of them.

This had been proven with Trimacs.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Naraic I agree with what you are saying but I also reckon that the prevailing message going out to hobbyists should simply be "Please dont cross breed"

#12 Auzziebuddy

Auzziebuddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

.The question asked is does crossing species of a threatened animal preserve its blood line.
The answer is no.

Thats pretty much all I was asking.

I maybe should have asked the question in a different way.

Thankyou.

#13 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thats pretty much all I was asking.

I maybe should have asked the question in a different way.

Thankyou.

I enjoyed the question, yes it can be very hard word a question around taboo subjects.

If you breed a chihauaha and rottweiler you will get a cross, "that's a good looking dog you say"and then for some reason the entire Chihauha population is wiped out and all that is left are your Chihuaha-weiler puppies. So you think how about I try and get the traits chihauha through my little puppies.

I would say if you try to be breed back to the origin you will never truely get there, there will always be elements of either breed in the animal.

When you say trying to breed back to the origins, the problem is you need strong genes and everytime you mix/interbreed you run the risk of stunting your genepool and without fresh quality genes you are left with a 'hull' of an animal.

(With my limited knowledge) I think this is the issue with Pug-Dogs, they have been getting bred and bred, but the problem is the genepool is not that great, their is not much fresh, what you are left with is an animal that has breathing issues, bulging eyes, etc.

So i guess this can happen with fish and the Australia varieties of certain fish are not as good as the rest of the world as we can't import any more in.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 24 February 2014 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users