Outdoor Fish Tank

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 changy

changy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone keeps relatively large (6ft +) fish tanks outdoors? What are the heating costs like in winter and is it worth it?

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

I had a 500ltr and a 1600ltr tank among others in my garage. 500ltr was ok I guess. 300 watt heater was on nearly all day and all night though.
1600ltr tank was way too hard/expensive to heat.
How warm do you want to keep it?

#3 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

LOL

i was just thinking about this last night. 

i have tank rack outside and wanna keep it around the 20C mark for the guppies. 

i'm thinking styrofoam around the sides, back and lids

ugly as heck but if it will save me money in terms of heating then i dont mind :P

#4 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

We have a rack out side as well had it there for coming on 2 years and no issues whatsoever  31c was the hottest  during the recent heat wave

We used to use styrafoam on each tank  but middle of last year we changed to the  sheeting they use in house construction between walls an in the roof space  it is soft and pliable and looks better than styrafoam

also it does both stops heater coming on too often during winter  and also will stop the heat as well to a certain degree :)

#5 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

i have no problem with hot days as they are sitting under the patio 

more for when it gets cold.. 

i googled a bit and someone suggested this : 

http://www.bunnings....oofing_p1010565

i was thinking of attaching to back and sides of the rack, and have it held on temporarily on the front for night time?

We have a rack out side as well had it there for coming on 2 years and no issues whatsoever  31c was the hottest  during the recent heat wave

We used to use styrafoam on each tank  but middle of last year we changed to the  sheeting they use in house construction between walls an in the roof space  it is soft and pliable and looks better than styrafoam

also it does both stops heater coming on too often during winter  and also will stop the heat as well to a certain degree :)

http://www.bunnings....-board_p0811027

something like this?

#6 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

I've seen little Dickies and i'd have to say he did a rather good job. I don't think it is an eye sore at all it's thin as cardboard. silver on the outer 2 side with a sponge centre i think from memory. Worth giving it a go i'd say but i'm sure he can describe it better how he went about it and cost plus you have the benefit of his 2 years of using it.

#7 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

sorry cant remember the exact name  will find out tho , was free from Eileens  son in law  got about 1/2 roll it did 8 tanks  it is silver on both sides but they have different patterns so what ever makes ya happy on the outside ... it is rubbery type filling in middle  and it is fire proof  also extremely flexible  ... watch tis space for the name of it :D

#8 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:41 PM

We have a big pond in the garage, and had 12 small tanks in there at the same time... Last winter we received a $1400 electricity bill... Guess what is not in the garage anymore this year??????

#9 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

Yes, I paid a huge price for my pleasure on the patio last year. Unfortunately my favourites are going in the shed this year, i will be left with goldies,tandanus and going to risk a cod. Will keep some heaters handy in case we get a real cold snap. You might find one insulated tank affordable, don't know your budget, i foolishly did 2  6x18's and a 4x2 and my shed, bills reached 800$ plus a couple of times :o  had to tell my partner they were my responsibility and she wasn't allowed to open them.

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:37 AM

sorry cant remember the exact name  will find out tho , was free from Eileens  son in law  got about 1/2 roll it did 8 tanks  it is silver on both sides but they have different patterns so what ever makes ya happy on the outside ... it is rubbery type filling in middle  and it is fire proof  also extremely flexible  ... watch tis space for the name of it :D

Was it called "heat block",,,,
20mm sheet polystyrene as already mentioned works well,,, you can join corners with water based liquid nails.
You can also use 50mm chipboard screws to fasten corners while the glue drys.
A black water based paint or any color choice can be used to blend into its area.
Getting creative......... Bunnings sells Velcro strips and squares with a super strong adhesive backing,, you could use this for the front face edges to hold front panel in place during day/night and super easy to remove and replace.
The fact that polystyrene is rigid, it makes it very easy to install and gives a cabinet like straight edge neat finish.
A cheap long blade Stanley knife and straight edge will make easy cutting.

#11 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

What about gyprock painted black with some some waterproof sealer that would look ok especially painted black

#12 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

Gyprock is pretty much useless as a thermal insulator

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:32 AM

Yeah dude, that's right, pretty much nothing in gyprock.
But line the inside of the gyprock with heat block and your cooking with gas.
But using gyprock is a poor option, not only for insulation, but for construction and assembly wise, better of using plywood with a insulative internal lining.

If one wanted to get creative, again, construct from polystyrene 30mm as noted above,,, and paint with a dulux product called Acra-Tex.
Use a paint roller called a loop roller, it has little loops in the roller fabric designed to pick up and pull little nipples all over the thick paint finish,,, and it will perfectify the entire surface of polystyrene to a uniform look.
Even more creative again, is to glue and cover polystyrene with any type of fabric material, or even thin aluminium sheeting can be glued for a finished surface, or even laminex.

#14 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

hey all finally got the name of the stuff I have used to wrap  the tanks in outside

Polyair Forma R4.0

Available from BGC  supply in Canningvale  probably other builders supply places as well

#15 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

Pretty much same as heatblock just brand names.

#16 changy

changy
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:09 AM

Tank will need to stay around 26-27C. So you guys reckon just keep the three sides really well insulated and I shouldn't rack up a massive electricity bill?

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

It will still be massive if you want to keep it at 26 during june, july, august and september (October nights are bloody cold too for outdoor tanks and ponds)... just not as massive without insulation.
300 watts (I suppose thats what you have in mind to heat this tank at least) per hour on most of the time. Power is charged in kilowatt (1000 watts) units so every 3 and a bit hours the heater is on you get charged an additional unit on your bill.

Edited by malawiman85, 29 February 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#18 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

Also, use the search bar on the forum and use relevant key words like insulation or outdoor tank. This kind of question comes up fairly often so you should find some good replies posted here already.

#19 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

Tank will need to stay around 26-27C. So you guys reckon just keep the three sides really well insulated and I shouldn't rack up a massive electricity bill?

if you insulate correctly, you can make it even more economic than a tank sitting inside a house.
Buy yourself a brand new sheet of 30mm, 20mm is ok but 30mm easier to construct and better insulative.
Completely all round encase your tank with a removable front face so you can remove to view.
It's like sticking your tank in a esky,,, EXTREMELY effective.
Some people choose materials based on what they can afford or limited skills in engineering/construction.

Once you have the foam in place, your tank will be the most economical it's ever been, mid winter or at any time,,, (no gaps no voids).

#20 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

What Buccal has said  do all the sides of the tank  including the top of the tank .... I have used Velcro  to hold the front and top on 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users