Photo

Faulty Heats Electrifying You Water??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stretch5

stretch5
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

Hi all. Recently I noticed when i put my finger in one of my tanks I got a tingle. It was a cheap heater from china. I then checked and found another 2 heaters
that do the same thing. Weird thing it isnt triping my power? So i threw them out and got some more heaters for my tanks.

Well I was just checking my discus tank and its happening now with another heater, except this one is an EHEIM heater?

Is this normal that the heaters put a small voltage into the water???
Im worried now as I have 10 discus in my main tank and no more heaters left
Any advice greatly appreciated all

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

This comes up pretty often. I wouldnt say that this issue means the product is faulty.
You normally only notice this stinging or tingly sensation when you have cuts, knicks, scratches, etc on your hands.
I would think its more noticable in harder waters that contain a higher electrolyte level... which is to say the water becomes more conductive... Well so my limited chemistry understanding would indicate.
Stick your elbow in the tank and see if you notice the problem.
All aquarium electrical products contribute a small electrical current to the aquarium water... dont waste time worrying about it. Pretty much have to accept it.

#3 stretch5

stretch5
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

ok thanks for that malawiman that puts my mind to rest 

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

I don't trust electricity to be my friend, so I wouldn't do the elbow test myself. As a good little rule, I ALWAYS switch off the heater if I am putting my hands in the fish tank. Not so much a big deal these days with RCD protection, but just in case anything bad were to happen, switching off the heater pretty much eliminates any chance of electrocution.

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Ok, this is pretty normal, as most of these products have no earth (no bottom prong on plug).
There are reasons for water submersed instruments to be like this, for electrical reasons.
Mm is spot on with have cuts that hurt, I just thought it was the nerve being closer to electricity rather than a Barrier of protective skin.

But what eccentriates the tingle is if you have bare feet or in thongs and your feet are wet to earth you better,,,, your body is basically being used as a earth,

Try it,,, put your shoes on, put your fingers in and feel the tingle,,, then take your shoes of and put a tablespoon of water on the ground and stand on it, dip your fingers in,,, God, damn, jeez, Woh ZZZZZZ! X 10 lol.

#6 stretch5

stretch5
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

ok thanks for that, yes I was wearing bare feet or thongs at the time and would have been doing water chages. So that it explains why hahah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users