Photo

Aquarium Trim

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

You know how you sometimes see aquariums and they have a black plastic trim on the edges of the glass to hide the join?

I want to know if this stuff can be purchased seperately to put on my own tank.
Basically all I am after is an L shaped plastic corner trim.

I went Bunnanzas but every person I asked just stared at me and went "Deerrrrrrrrrr!!!!!"
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

you are not refering to the black silicone instead of the white/clear one right?

#3 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

No this is added on the outside of the tank. I guess it gives a similar result as using black silicone in that it frames the tank.

This is a picture from one of my 2 footers. Im after just a plain black corner trim but at least this shows everyone what I mean.
It must be avaliable somewhere as you could use it for all sorts of things not just aquariums.

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

I've seen Aquarium City use it on their tanks (cut to size etc). Details on our sponsors page - http://www.perthcich.../sponsors.phtml

Daz

#5 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Ooer, might get some myself and do up my to-be planted tank

wonder if they come in different colours, blue would be nice

#6 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

arnt they are usually used to hide untidy silicone work

#7 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:32 PM

Possibly haha I never thought of that. I think it looks good though. btw I found what I was after (sort of) at another Bunnings store. Sometimes it pays to just spend some time looking for stuff yourself rather than asking employees......
It was called plastic U-molding, but they only had it in white. It was printed on the underside its part number or whatever and the word white so they must have this stuff in black?? somehwere?
Id rather they did than me having to paint it.

#8 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

It is available in black... just have to find someone that carries it.....

try contacting APP (Aust Plastic Profiles) there is an office in Malaga somewhere i think.... google it... they might be able to tell you who buys it from them....

#9 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Doc Il give em a go

#10 Thalium

Thalium
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

Another sweet way to bling your tank would be to goto a Tiling place and have a look at "tiling trim" you will be able to get a plastic one in a variety of colours you can get brass or poloished ali and they do a chrome one that would look sweet and this is all in the L shape profile you want and different depths

#11 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

I buy the white corner trim from Bunnings and spray it simple cheap as...

QUOTE (CICH-BRO @ Nov 22 2008, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No this is added on the outside of the tank. I guess it gives a similar result as using black silicone in that it frames the tank.

This is a picture from one of my 2 footers. Im after just a plain black corner trim but at least this shows everyone what I mean.
It must be avaliable somewhere as you could use it for all sorts of things not just aquariums.

buy from Bunnings, white and spray it black easy as....

#12 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Yeah thats an option I just want to know if I can get hold of some in black so I wouldnt have to paint.

#13 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

So in the end I bought the white stuff as I was there at Bunnings, srayed it gold, looked ok but I still preferred my original plan so I sprayed the rest black came out great,
thanks for everyones input.

For anybody else wanting to do the same, the length of plastic molding cost me just under 4 bucks, I think it was about 2metres long, cut it to size (you could do alot of tanks with just one length)
and I used a flat black plastic paint.

Oh and while I was at bunnings getting parts for my DIY water changer, I spoke to a young dude about hose fittings and he actually knew what he was talking about! he was helpful and the first one I have come across while shopping at Bunnings.

#14 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

Hi,

I have spoken with APP and they make and L-shaped PVC trim in black. Dimensions 19mm x 19mm, 2.5mm thickness, 2.4 meter lengths and they come in bundles of 25. They won't supply to the general public (you have to have an account with them), but they do supply to Bunnings, Mitre 10 and CSR Gyprock stores. The part number is AM2BL2400 if you need the shop to order some for you, however, if it isn't a common item you may have to take all 25 lengths so the store doesn't get stuck with the stock. Price should be around $10 a length.

Cheers

James

#15 69olds

69olds
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (JimmyTheFish @ Dec 10 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I have spoken with APP and they make and L-shaped PVC trim in black. Dimensions 19mm x 19mm, 2.5mm thickness, 2.4 meter lengths and they come in bundles of 25. They won't supply to the general public (you have to have an account with them), but they do supply to Bunnings, Mitre 10 and CSR Gyprock stores. The part number is AM2BL2400 if you need the shop to order some for you, however, if it isn't a common item you may have to take all 25 lengths so the store doesn't get stuck with the stock. Price should be around $10 a length.

Cheers

James

whenever i am building anything and need some corner trim to make it look nice or too hide my losy carpentery skills i just pick up a length or two of aluminium angle once you have cut to size you can give it a bit of a polish or paint it and if you glue it properly then you not only get a great look but it will serve a purpose by strengthening the corner.

cheer's all
Neil

QUOTE (CICH-BRO @ Dec 8 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So in the end I bought the white stuff as I was there at Bunnings, srayed it gold, looked ok but I still preferred my original plan so I sprayed the rest black came out great,
thanks for everyones input.

For anybody else wanting to do the same, the length of plastic molding cost me just under 4 bucks, I think it was about 2metres long, cut it to size (you could do alot of tanks with just one length)
and I used a flat black plastic paint.

Oh and while I was at bunnings getting parts for my DIY water changer, I spoke to a young dude about hose fittings and he actually knew what he was talking about! he was helpful and the first one I have come across while shopping at Bunnings.

Hi Jimmy,
just wondering if you have an A.B.N. number if that would get you an account and save you from having to buy from bunnings??

just a thought

#16 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi Neil

I don't have an ABN unfortunately, so Bunnings may be my only route at this point unless anybody knows of another way.

Cheers

J

#17 CICH-BRO

CICH-BRO
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

The plastic I used was about 10mmx10mm cast about 4$ but they had a larger one suitable for larger/wider tanks aswell. At first I had second thoughts about using the white one and painting it for the fact it would be obvious its painted, but the flat black paint I used came out great. The plastic doesnt need any preparation just make sure its clean and spray away.

You could even try some of that chrome paint and see how that turns out.

#18 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi All,

I have been able to source the black through Bunnings, but they will only order it in if the purchaser takes all 25 lengths. I only need 6 -10, but if there is enough interest I would order it in. Does anybody want some? Price will work out to about $7 per length (2.4 m).

Cheers

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users