Car Servicing/upgrades

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi all

Anyone know a good place that they recommend to get nice wheels/tyres for a 4x4? And also new shocks etc.? Just had a service on my car today and was told I need new shocks, tyres etc.. lmao! biggrin.gif

Somewhere around Morley/NOR area please..

Cheers!
Kevin

#2 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

go to a couple of places to get the free safety check done kev, compare the checks and then see if you can a trust worthy mechanic that wont ask you to take out a home loan to pay the bill, as for tyres, just ring around and see who is the cheapest for the same size tyres you have

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

Warrens tyres morley .Warrens a good honest bloke.

#4 Mike

Mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

WA Suspensions is good. http://wasuspensions.com.au/ They are state Distributors for all the big brands. I have used them a few times now for my cars and they can customise a package for you as well as advise you on Toe in/out settings and Caster/camber if your raising or lowering.
As for Tyres and Rims, Not too sure up your way. If down near Rockingham I know of a few. A bit of a tip though. Get the tyres and rims before suspension They they will be set to that package.

HTH
Mike

#5 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

Thanks guys!

The reason why I put up this post is because I got charged $1357 to have a minor service, and also to replace all 4 rotors & brake pads on my 2003 model Pajero. Does the price sound right?
Also, the service centre told me to change shock obsorbers, rims, tyres etc..

I usually get my uncle to do the servicing etc... but he's overseas on holiday for a few months... so I need to look for a good service shop to do what's needed to my car.. thats why I wanted some opinions from members... smile.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#6 klass

klass
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Price is probably what you expect due to steep labour costs these days. Mr mags in Morley, off the side street of HJ's (Walter rd) has lots of rims. Both second hand and new and can get in other rims if you want. He gave good and honest advice, friendly bloke.

#7 Mike

Mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Sounds about right for the Service. Normally around $300-400 for service on 4x4 depening on what is done and around $200- 250 per corner for brakes.

#8 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks guys. I'll contact them for quotes etc..

#9 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

I ended up getting new rims/tyres from Tyrepower in Morley. They were very thorough with their assessment (this morning), and said I did not need any new shocks etc. as mentioned by the previous service centre. They also showed me something very interesting... the service centre where I had the service last week had "sprayed" brake oil onto the "brake proportioning valve" which is "leaking" and said I needed a new part (which costs about $550), even though I didn't!!! Tyrepower told me that it is a very common practice with alot of shonky repairers/service centres..... I will not name the service centre concerned (legal reasons) but it's the last time I'll be going there....

I ended up with ordering sexy new rims and tyres which will be fitted tomorrow.. woooot! biggrin.gif
There goes $2.3K... not so "woooot!" sad.gif

All in all, TyrePower in Morley is highly recommended! smile.gif

#10 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

get us a pic when the new tires and rims have been fitted biggrin.gif

are they bigger tyres or just standard all rounders?

Tom smile.gif

#11 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

wish i saw this earlier cause i was going to recommend tyre power in morley. Just a clarification not all mechanical shops are like this, and shockies aren't stuffed till there is oil leaking out them.

#12 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, Steve (owner) and Paul (head mechanic) are great blokes and were extremely helpful! smile.gif

Tom, they're only standard CSA 16inch "monster" rims but with ATR tyres.. great for metro cruising (quiet!) but can handle some 4WDing, not that I got bush bashing much....
I got offered a range of tyres, and went for Cooper ATRs.. biggrin.gif

#13 Mike

Mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

Good stuff. Post pics of the wheels and tyres once they are on.
Not So good stuff on the people who serviced your car. Name and Shame them. It is the only way they learn. Was it a Dealership??? If so report them to the Manufacturer. If you have a good mechanic you can trust, try and stick with them, too many shonky people.

#14 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

kev, i hope it wasn't the dealership close to you old house :-)....i just gave my car there this morning...u know which one I'm talking about mellow.gif

#15 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

No, it wasn't a dealer.. but it was a "franchise". Enough said...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users