Photo

Peppermint B/n Prices

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

i get a few pms each week asking about whether or not the fish they are intending to buy is a good deal.... so i've decided to post this up as a rough current pricing guide as i see it today...

forum prices are invariably cheaper than shop prices... but availability may mean paying that bit extra to get what you want at that particular time....and supporting your local fishop is a good thing...

shop prices of peppermint juvies vary from $15 to $30 each for fish varying from 3-5cm... (there are exceptions)

single peppermint adults 10cm+ expect to pay close to $100 each at your fishop....

not very often do shops have pairs / trios and colonies but expect to pay $200+ for a pair.... $250+ for a trio.... much more for bigger colonies.... (price estimates on 10cm+ fish)

forum prices on pepp juvies will vary on the seller and how desperately they want to sell them.... but usually a little cheaper than shop price....

10cm+ pairs can be picked up for $120-150 a pair if you look around and arent in a hurry to buy.... trios can be picked up for $150-200.... sometimes cheaper if the seller wants them gone asap....

sizes between 5-10cm should have balanced prices between juvies and adults according to size....

occasioanlly you may have a stunning show quality fish (ya know the 1 in a 1000 fish) and you can ask any price you wish for something like this....

all stats and figures are to be used as a guide only and prices will change in the future depending on supply and demand....

IMO... breeding pair with proof or not doesnt validate charging a bigger price as any male can breed with any female... older 15cm+ males shouldnt be considered for long term breeding as they will be lazy and into retirement age..... smile.gif

#2 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ May 24 2011, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
occasioanlly you may have a stunning show quality fish (ya know the 1 in a 1000 fish) and you can ask any price you wish for something like this....

I believe one of my female peps is about a 1 in a thousand fish,
She is a few years old now and doesnt have even a hint of bristles around the lips.
Wouldnt it be nice if all the female peps were like this?
It would make sexing them a whole lot easier thats for sure.
She also stopped growing at around 9cm give or take.
She is a breeder for me and im hoping some of her offspring turn out the same.
The male she breeds with isnt hairy as far as some others Ive seen either.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

i have been doing the same... i have 7 females with no facial hair/bristles at all... and will be breeding these in the near future and hope the fry have the same characteristics... it'll make sexing these fish so much easier in the future.... too many people end up with 2 males after buying a so called "breeding pair"......

#4 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ May 24 2011, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too many people end up with 2 males after buying a so called "breeding pair"......

Ha ha yeah that ones happened to me before.
I also have a huge female that would be pushing 13cm now.
Not many bristles on her but she has laid so atleast I know shes a girl.
Has anyone in OZ got the BNs similar to the pepps that keep the white seems?
Starlights I think they are called.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

i think its just a myth... i've never seen adults apart from the one or two freakish fish that have the white seams into adulthood.... but do eventually lose them....

#6 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

I was recently given a pep like this that is a couple of years old and still has it white seem on the tail.
It is a male and is only around 7-8cm so Im guessing it has had a stunted growth, So this fish wont be added to my colony.
On another topic what is the largest spawn people have experienced from a single female?
Ive just got one of over 100 wrigglers which I thought was pretty impressive.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

good size spawn.... i average anywhere between 80-120 fry per single spawn..... had a spawn of nearly 200 fry one time but i suspect it may have been a double spawn.... smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users