Photo

New Adventure.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:05 AM

So, after years of keeping big rays and fish, and a hard week of decision making, I've decided to sell out! And already have mot things sold.

Going to join the marine / reef club.

Will still be keeping a freshwater planted tank, with my bichirs, hujetas and lima.

Watch this space, will keep a build page here for both the 4x2.5x2 reef tank as well as my 4x2x2 planted tank.

First off, need to get quotes on these 2 tanks to be built, never owned a brand new tank, so I decided this time im going to treat myself to everything brand new in box!!

#2 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

Nice - will be following along as would love to do a large marine tank.

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

influenced by that kick ass journal in the reef section huh? good lad

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

Good man. You'll never look back or ever have any spare cash again.

#5 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

Already feeling that...….

Hopefully have tank prices finalized this weekend and ill go visit whom im going to get build it to get it started.

Skimmer on back order (Bubble Magus Curve 7), think I know what return pump and heater im going so order them in the next week.

Shopping around for the MP40 Quite drive now.

Also looking at a decent size cannister to run my 4x2 FW tank im building...…. Anyone got one there willing to sell? Looking for a 2000lt/hr turn over

Once I get more money form selling the ray pups ill invest in tank lighting! That's the expensive bit...…!

Edited by Jules, 18 October 2018 - 04:03 PM.

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:47 AM

Scored a brand new Aquaone 2700 Cannister filter with all media and fittings still sealed in box for 125, to cheap to pass up so that's the FW 4X2 filter sorted.

Is it worth drilling the cannister pipes into the set up with bulk heads etc? Or just run it as standard? I want to make both these new set ups as clean and neat as possible.

And what 4ft LED light would someone recommend? More to luminate the tank as I'm only growing anubias species.

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Quick trip to Vebas Sudnay saw me buy a new 4x2x2 for my planted FW oddball tank, and now im planning on buying the Red Sea 525xl reef aquarium (Pacco talked my wife into that one, good work!). Tank needs to be super sleek and neat according to the wife so she said spend the extra $$$ instead of a braced opened stand setup, I wasn't going to argue!

Planning on building the 4x2 stand this weekend or next, then off to my mate for a powder coat!

#8 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Nice, looking forward to some pics of the planted oddball tank, sounds interesting, birchirs are an awesome fish, ill be keen to see how u set the hardscape up for them.

ive just ordered a new tank as well its 1200l x 500w x 600d

I've never had a problem with the look of a lilly pipe, along with some smart pipe placement i don't have much trouble hiding them, so i have never had a tank drilled before, if you really dont want to see the inlet/outlet i think you can get a glass inlet and lilly pipe, but if you dont want to see anything inlet/outlet/pipes maybe drilling is the go?

as for lighting only growing anubias most 4ft planted led bars should cut it,

With 600 depth Don't get any 0.5W Leds they generally struggle to penetrate over 35cm of depth, you want (Edit:1-2w Per bulb somewhere between the 6k-7k spectrum, this is a Led bar i use on my 60L tanks (10+ lights and tanks) it grows anubias, Java Fern, Bolbitis(Regular And Mini) with a decent top cover of frogbit

http://www.z-aquatic...60cm-led-light/ this is a 2W bulb in this unit

im not saying buy or don't buy this brand, but its easy to see the Leds in this picture 

so if the light Bar is 120w with 1w bulbs the MOST amount of actual Leds on the bar should be 120 (120 Led Lights x 1w = 120w Light Bar) if its 120w with 2w bulbs it will have 60 globes in it.

hopefully i didnt ramble to much and u can understand it the bigger wattage each LED is the more penetration of depth

and onto saltwater, im to scared to even look, the last thing i need is more tanks more fish and coral addiction 

Edited by Bombshocked, 23 October 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#9 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Perfect, thanks for your help!

Decided not to drill the tank, and will most likely run the standard fittings and piping etc for the cannister as its a 2700lt/hr pump.

Hard scape will be garent sand substrate, few mangrove roots and just low light plants. Fish will be the 3 seangels, 2 rocket gars, Lima catfish ray pup and a flagtail prochilodus. May get a pleco, would love leopard bushfish but have given up on ever getting them again.

#10 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

thats gonna be a wild tank man, looking forward to watching it come along

#11 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

Steel got delievered to the house today to knock the stand up this weekend.

DC return pump for marine tank sump came in...….

Edited by Jules, 31 October 2018 - 01:56 PM.

• ice likes this

#12 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

New cannister filter came in for the 4x2.

Still waiting on skimmer and decided what waver maker to go, so slowly happening

#13 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:19 AM

Sounds great - going with standard media in filter or ?

#14 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:30 AM

Will take the bacci balls I run on my other cannisters to seed and get this one going. That will take up 2 sections of the 4.

The top one will  run standard jap matting.

ln the bottom chamber I will use carbon and macropore, bought a 1kg bag several month ago and never used it so thought id try it out on this new set up!

Bought my dino pee and spit ferts from aquagreen. also scored some dino dung root tabs.

Any benefit throwing soe of these in the cannister or in the tank? Im not growing soil rooted plants, only windelov, Anubis and bolbitis in this tank.

#15 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

dont bother with the dino dung. its blood n bone with clay so will help with root feeder plants. if you're going with rhyzome plants then the fert tabs are not needed. just go with dino spit and dino pee. I've been using the mkf fert from avid in one tank and the tech den liquid fert in another tank and have noticed the plants are looking a lot happier. 

#16 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

Stand made, just need to grind and soften the corners a bit.

Will be dropping off this week for finishing the paint work on it.

Light and heater ordered for this build.

Now to advertise the 7x2.5x2 Tank set up, if interested you can PM me :)

Attached Files

#17 Johny

Johny
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

Looking good mate!

#18 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

Looks like your full steam ahead getting things done! You are in the fully motivated stage. 

Will be awesome once all done. Keep up the good work.

#19 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

Yeah thanks Alex.

As soon as ive sold my big tank it means I can then put the new 4x2 tank in its place, then transfer the fish and sell the old bichir set up etc to buy all my marine equipment!

I do have days where I say why am I keeping the FW tank, but, for as long as I can keep some cool smaller exotics I will.

And, with a bub on the way and a new house build starting soon, cutting back to 1 tank for now will mean a bit more free time for what's looking like a busy 2019!

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:42 PM

Baby on the way! congrats mate, absolutely awesome news.

Setting up a reef tank and a baby on the way. Sounds like your 2019 will be similar to my 2018. It's all good fun though, beats sitting in front of the television. I seriously underestimated the time I needed to put into setting everything up, was a huge undertaking. 

Our baby loves the fish tank - calms her down 9/10 when she is having a sook, I think it's a combination of the lights, the movement of the fish and the shapes/patterns of the rock. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users