Electric Bicycle Kit

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Bit of a random question, but has anyone on here got an electric motor powered pushbike?

I don't know whether to get a conversion kit from a bicycle store or fork out the big bucks for a new bike with one fitted to it

I would like to hear from others if they have tried it.

A shop in Freo near my work does the kits for $950-$1350 depending on power and capacity.

Edited by Westie, 15 February 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#2 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Don't be lazy

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

I was waiting for a comment like that ha ha

#4 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Haha, I ride and in the bike world that's literally a crime

Edited by Rodders02, 15 February 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#5 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

And wearing Lycra is a crime unless you're into butt sex, but I don't judge :)

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

:Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f:

did you know the probability of getting prostate and testicle cancer is increased for people that ride bikes :) 

wonder if thats the lycra that does it  :P

#7 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

Haha luckily I mtb

#8 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

I'm also a mountain biker and electric bikes are mopeds IMO. I have read that females who do alot of road riding, which involves a lot of sitting down, can and do have a decrease in genital stimulation. So there you go....

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

Good thing I'm not female. I'm always up for a bit of genital stimulation though.......

#10 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Bit of a random question, but has anyone on here got an electric motor powered pushbike?

I don't know whether to get a conversion kit from a bicycle store or fork out the big bucks for a new bike with one fitted to it

I would like to hear from others if they have tried it.

A shop in Freo near my work does the kits for $950-$1350 depending on power and capacity.

Its actually an exciting time to see the usage of hi performance batteries for fun :)

There is a couple of guys near work who have stealth electric bikes which are weapons when i see them on the bike path.  I personally have a couple of electric skate board which happily propel me to 40kms/hr and gets me into mischief.  Id personally buy a few more skate boards before a bike though.

You need to figure what the usage is going to be.  Is it a commuter that is just taking the strain off a work commute meaning lower power and long range, or are you wanting a rocket ship for fun but not necessarily a big range.  Ive heard the front wheel conversion can feel heavy so there are crank driven options.  I see Giant this year have a street and MTB off the shelf but the power generated isn't impressive when looking at what some of the skate companies are putting into boards.

#11 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

You need to figure what the usage is going to be.  Is it a commuter that is just taking the strain off a work commute meaning lower power and long range, or are you wanting a rocket ship for fun but not necessarily a big range.  Ive heard the front wheel conversion can feel heavy so there are crank driven options.  I see Giant this year have a street and MTB off the shelf but the power generated isn't impressive when looking at what some of the skate companies are putting into boards.

Hey my first serious reply. Yay! Anyone that knows me knows that I'm more of a comfort than speed person (AKA Fatso). I just want the option to ride my pushy to work rather than take the car as there is no viable public transport option. It takes me 30 minutes by car to get to work, and would take 1hr 30mins by bus, so I figure a bike with an electric motor would be better.

#12 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

The max legal on the road is 200W but alot of kits sell around 500W.  

Have a chat to the store about their take on staying legal versus just getting a good power unit.  Skate boards aren't the same I know however I'm tempted always just to go the bigger motor (my first skate board was 350W, current is a 3000W with twin motors :)  I've hurt my self initially using the power now its nice just as roll on reserve and makes for a cruiser ride and means if i really slow down for pedestrians I have heaps of power to speed right up again quickly rather than on the slower board i was tempted to keep momentum and speed high as it didn't accelerate as well meaning I was passing people faster on the slower board if that makes any sense.

As long as the police aren't pulling you to check your kW and you aren't riding like a crazy I think I'd go for a bigger motor and a hub drive not a crank/mid drive unit as they are simpler to maintain and possible to set up yourself.  I like the look of the rear hub better and it keeps the front light, shocks doing their normal thing (and lets you do wheelies on the power rather than pulling you).  Also if you take your front wheel off to lock it up the front hub would be a pain in the back.  If you aren't a wheelie type and don't need to lock your bike up outside maybe go for a front hub due to easy install.

https://www.bikeexch...sion-kits/solar

Alternatively you could get a rear hub AND a front hub giving you 1000W of pulling power.

This is the guy to talk to in perth but the looks of it.  He has USA sites who recommend the americans only buy off him :) 

http://solarbike.com.au 

In freo

Edited by chrishaigh82, 16 February 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#13 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Why not just get a motorbike or scooter?

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

Wife's 1st partner died in a motorbike accident, and so did my best friend. She thinks I'll be safer on a cycle path using a pushy. I'd love a loud Harley with ape hangars, but that's not gonna happen

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

go on do it - big set of ape hangers would should you :)

#16 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

don't forget the ginger beard and the leather jacket with a PCS logo on the patch

#17 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I've found two that would suit the purpose.

http://solarbike.com...scrambler-3050/

http://solarbike.com...omier-tricycle/

Kinda thinking the tricycle's lack of cool is offset by the fact you can carry a couple cartons of beer in the back :) 

#18 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

The scrambler looks pretty awesome! Tricycle isn't my cup of tea. I'd definitely fit in with the Fremantle Freaks riding that! And I just happen to go past a Dan Murphys on the way to work too!

Dicky, you realise that a PCS patch would get me in trouble with the 1%? Mind you, they'd have to respect the scrambler ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users