Photo

Some Employment Stats For Aussie Born People

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

this was brought to my attention recently and i did a bit of research to confirm its validity and after analyzing it - i find it very alarming for the younger generation of 15-30 year olds looking for employment....

http://insidestory.o...uch-immigration

taken from this article

Between 2008 and 2016, in net terms, the Australian labour market expanded by 474,000 full-time jobs. But only 74,000 of them went to people born in Australia. That’s fewer than one in six.

That’s not because the Australian-born are a small minority. Two-thirds of all working-age residents of this country were born here. Yet roughly three-quarters of the growth in full-time jobs since the global financial crisis has gone to recent migrants.

#2 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

6ec9abaf761bd5188d0e552421cd0fc3.jpg

Jokes aside..

Yeh it's tough especially straight out of uni , it's so damn hard to get your foot in the door. Employers advertise Junior/entry level roles but want minimum 5+ yrs experience . It's ridiculous.

we also have a generation of soft, self-entitled teens who's parents wrap them up cotton wool, and probably give them an allowance, so they don't feel the need to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

I think it's a pretty complex problem.

Daily, I deal with workers who expect the world. Fine. But you can see it's never even occurred to these people to develop themselves professionally in any way whatsoever.

Lots of Aussies don't struggle for work. We get jobs even when times are tough and we develop the opportunities that come our way.

Maybe people that are struggling for work over a long period of time need to ask themselves:
What are Successful employees doing that I'm not? And;
What do 457 visa competitors offer that I don't?

Young people straight out of uni have opportunities through Cadetship/internship/graduate programs, etc.
If career pathways are blocked up for undergrads then hold off on Uni ( or choose another career). Do a diploma, do some real entry level stuff, work out if that fields for you then enroll postgrad (or undergrad if you have too). Then you can front up to an interview with experience and a MSc instead of no experience and a BSc.

It's just easier to do nothing and blame someone else than getting out there and kicking arse at whatever opportunity comes your way... Even if it sucks!

#4 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:48 AM

employers would rather get 457 visa worker from overseas with job experience - rather than train aussie born worker to do their job.... plus employers must think they can exploit 457 workers , with the threat of being sacked and sent back to their country , so they'll keep their mouth shut and work longer hours for same pay or even get half the pay of the going minimum rate... 

i believe more needs to be done to employ our own people before importing labour from overseas....

i understand there is always going to be a certain number of aussie born people that dont want to work and want centrelink benefits instead... i think unemployment benefits should be limited.... 12mths.... cant get a job in a year then you must work for the govt to receive any $$$.... road cleaning crews , rubbish collection , hand removal of noxious weeds and even catching and removing noxious fish perhaps...  

another system of - you need to have paid tax in this country for a certain number of years before you are entitled to claim any sort of benefit or pension should exist IMO.... if you havent contributed to society why should society contribute to you...

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

I've seen 457s treated like that and used to dilute the strength of locals taking industrial action.
I've also seen companies advertise for positions and get no responses locally. I've seen these same companies treat their 457s with utter respect, have spent time and money training them and have provided some pretty amazing accomodation. I've seen 457s here a decade get residency and move their wife and kids over,some of these people are, no shit some of the best human beings I've ever met. Talking to these people can be quite humbling.
457s come here to work not bludge.

#6 BigSkip

BigSkip
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

I can talk as someone in the younger age group (24 currently). I did an apprenticeship, but there is a similar issue of 'lack of experience' for tradesman aswell, as employers want people 5+ years post trade and often you get layed off once you complete your trade, but at 19 i Landed a job at a university. The reason i was chosen over anyone else was because i was the only applicant who had english as a first language, which is very important as I do alot of direct comunication with researchers and acedemic staff. The fact that I'm an australian was the factor that got me a job.

At the same time im very limited career wise in the university and beyond with just my trade papers. So i have taken steps to further my education and am also doing a degree while working fulltime.

I see alot of people in my generation complaining about jobs and house affordability.I moved out of home at 18 and I bought my first place at 22 on a sole income, with only a trade certificate behind me. My sister has just bought a place at 23 on a sole income with no formal qualifications. It is entirely possible to get ahead early in life, they just dont want to put in the hard work. They would rather spend time travelling to 'find them selves' and forking out money for holidays and nights out rather than save and put effort into building their lives up. If i can do it, the son of a single mother, who grew up in a reasonably poor family (Due to cercumstances beyond my mothers control, health issues etc.) in small country towns, 20+ years battling mental illness, didnt complete highschool. these kids with both parents and growing up in the middle class just need to learn to put their head down and get shit done, it isnt always going to be easy or pleasent. but suck it up and get on with it.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:56 AM

thats good to hear "Bigskip" makes me believe that there are still some young hard working aussies left..... i worked my ass off while i was at uni... any day i wasnt at uni i worked - usually 12 hours a day.... i was making more than the average wage and doing full time study... 

i owned my own house outright by 26 and was semi retired by 28.... till i bought another house and got a missus then had to start working again..... 

along with working my ass off i had some luck and being in the right place at the right time helped a lot...

it is harder now then it used to be... what i earned back then bought a lot more than what you earn these days does.... second house i bought for 140k in 1998 is now worth 3 times that - but wages from 1998 havent tripled today in 2017....  thats why i reckon things are so much harder for younger generation to buy their own home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users