Probably Wrong Topic But Plecos?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

hey.
i have many peppies,albinos,longfins and normals but i am suddenly getting a thirst for plecos.
1. where can i get a cheap one.
2. what is a nice sort ( i like the golden pleco)
3. are they hard to breed, as long as you have breeding caves and so on.
4. will they rip my planted cichlids tank up?
5. any additional info
6. is there anyway i could get a pleco this tame ---- http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

cheers jess

#2 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

1) Most L numbers are not cheap but cheaper ones such as L104, L168 are often available at Midland, Vebas or Aquotix for Around $50-80. Want something nicer then Midland is likely your best bet. Az has both L202 and L397 in stock at current and often gets in others.

2) What you class as nice may differ to what others class as nice as there is over 400 L numbers and then more that do not have an L number.

3) Depends some are easier than others, but I would not suggest buying as you think they will be easy to breed. However most spawn in much the same way to bn but is not as easy.

4) I would not suggest keeping any L number with cichlids especially if looking to breed.

5) There is loads.

6) I would say unlikely but everything is possible.

Ross

#3 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

thanks. i really like the golden pleco, apparently aquotix has a few. they would be alot though?

QUOTE (rwillox @ Sep 5 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Most L numbers are not cheap but cheaper ones such as L104, L168 are often available at Midland, Vebas or Aquotix for Around $50-80. Want something nicer then Midland is likely your best bet. Az has both L202 and L397 in stock at current and often gets in others.

2) What you class as nice may differ to what others class as nice as there is over 400 L numbers and then more that do not have an L number.

3) Depends some are easier than others, but I would not suggest buying as you think they will be easy to breed. However most spawn in much the same way to bn but is not as easy.

4) I would not suggest keeping any L number with cichlids especially if looking to breed.

5) There is loads.

6) I would say unlikely but everything is possible.

Ross

#4 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

If they are what they had when I was last down there then likely not that expensive. Krystal might see this thread and let you know. IMO they are nothing special - of course you may have your own view on them.

I would suggest checking out Planet Catfish Cat-elog to look through all the different species.

Ross

#5 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

thanx rwillox, that was very helpful.
many i like in there, what a easy to get pretty cheap pleco you like?

#6 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Sep 5 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can get a Gold spot (L001, L022, Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) most places, often for sale on this forum, even City Farmers often have them.

Similar to the sail fin gibbiceps but doesn't get as big. You'll probably pay at least $40 for a tiny one at an LFS or a slightly bigger one privately.

Or you could go for L037, Honeycomb pleco, but they cost about 10 times as much.

Or you could try and get L191 for around 20 times as much.

http://www.planetcat...?species_id=177

#7 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Sep 5 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

L134 (Leopard Frog). They are available from time to time. Stunning fish - one of the most widely liked. However not exactly on the cheap side. Expect to pay $150-200 a fish at around 3-4cm in WA. Vebas had some recently and both Midland and Aquotix have had them in the past few months.

L333 is another nice one be looking at around $100 for a 3-4cm juvie. Maybe slightly cheaper depending on where you get it from.

Most L numbers other than the L104 and L168 are generally $100 plus for juvies.

Edit: you can get 191's for $500ish (not $800) and L037 for much less than $400 tongue.gif

#8 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

!@#$ =O i knew the zebra plecos got exspensive but stilll. what one i can start with and i could still sell the off spring pretty easily?

#9 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Sep 5 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
!@#$ =O i knew the zebra plecos got exspensive but stilll. what one i can start with and i could still sell the off spring pretty easily?

Heh. L134 are cheap compared to Zebras (L046). The Zebra costs $800 minimum for a tiny baby... but you just can't get them.

Personally my favourite is L134. I have five in a 7-foot tank and I see at least three of them at a time all day. And they really are stunning...

All the other L-plecs I have are far more secretive (except whiptails which get in the way of every pic I take).

If you rate by appearance plus how often you get to actually see the fish, L134 is a runaway winner.

#10 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

how much are L134's?

#11 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (rwillox @ Sep 5 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
L134 (Leopard Frog). They are available from time to time. Stunning fish - one of the most widely liked. However not exactly on the cheap side. Expect to pay $150-200 a fish at around 3-4cm in WA. Vebas had some recently and both Midland and Aquotix have had them in the past few months.

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Sep 6 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how much are L134's?

I paid arond $700 for five at 4cm, eg the one in the pic taken days after I got him. But if you get them in the shop expect to pay as much as $300 to $400...

#12 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

there go that idea, im only 13, getting that kind of money, welllll... ill just get a couple of golden plecos

theonetruepath;
expect to pay as much as $300 to $400...

#13 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

$300-$400 for a 3-4cm L134 at a LFS I beg to differ. Vebas had some at around 3cm that were $195 if memory serves. Aquotix had some earlier this year for under $300 I think and Midland had some at the start of the year at 4-5cm for $220.

Not to mention have been more and more common to see in the classified threads on this forum for between 3-5cm @ around $150-200 a fish.

Ross

#14 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

They might be coming down, but they were over $300 at Vebas when I saw them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users