Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

September Meeting - Mattia Matarrese - Tanganyika Diaries.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

The next meeting of the Perth Cichlid Society is on Tuesday, September the 1st.

logo.png  Mattia Matarrese - Tanganyika Diaries.rsz_1mattia_boat.jpg

Ever wanted to go to Lake Tanganyika and see your favourite cichlids in their natural habitat? Ever wanted to go diving with Ad Konings and crew and be part of something special and rewarding. Well, PCS committee members Mattia Matarrese and Androo Lynn were given the opportunity via a PCS Event held in Perth and this is Mattia's account of a trip of a lifetime to Tanzania and dive in the great rift lake itself.

rsz_1tank_sunset.jpg

This month's topic is Mattia Matarrese - Tanganyika Diaries.  

Mattia Matarrese, the first international member for PCS, is an avid aquarium hobbyist. He works at local aquarium store Aquotix and brings a wealth of knowledge to his customers and friends alike. He is a committee member for the Perth Cichlid Society and is currently working on a new breeding program competition to attempt to bring back harder to source species to Perth. With his wealth of species and biotope knowledge he fronts up our Tank Journal - Biotope competition as lead judge. Mattia has recently started an awareness program and fund raising for the protection and restoration of the great rift lakes of Africa here in Western Australia. He is passionate about cichlids and Lake Tanganyika, so who better to deliver a true to life account of a dream trip to Africa.

rsz_mattia_and_ad.jpg rsz_tang_diver.jpg

Mattia will take us on a journey to Lake Tanganyika with his raw footage of the inhabitants of the rift lake. Hear about near miss tales with snakes, research with Ad Konings and team, local culture and food and ways in which the lake is struggling and those people out to help put it back to normal. 

Mattia has lots of photos and raw video footage that will excite cichlid lovers and even some rare footage of seldom seen fish.

rsz_tang1.jpg

There will be a small quiz at the end to see if you've taken the knowledge on board and you can win great prizes from our sponsors. So take some notes and watch the show and you could also win some prizes for your cichlids at home.

Come on down to the South Perth PCS Meeting and enjoy a great night of a first hand account of what it is like to travel to Africa and dive the rift lake in Tanzania.

rsz_kipili_sunset.jpg

In addition to which we also have:

• PCS tasty Food! Coffee and cool drinks also available.
  • The PCS library, with with hundreds of books, DVD's and magazines available for loan to members.
  • The cichlid and catfish PCS Show Table, where you can participate and/or view some of the prized fish of fellow members. Every entrant wins a prize!
  • Some cool PCS merchandise items up for sale!
  • Photo Comp winners announced.
  • The sponsors raffle table, where you can win some fantastic prizes!

All are welcome. Hope to see you there Tuesday, September 1st.

Doors open at 7:30pm and Meeting starts 8:00pm at the Rotary Hall, Sandgate St, South Perth

pcichlid-10--saimi.jpg  pcichlid-10--oochi.jpg

#2 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

:) Any PCS Members wishing to enter an ADULT cichlid or catfish (no juveniles or fry thanks) :)
for the Show Table:

Please PM Me no later than the evening before and
if you will be bringing your own tank to show him/her in
or you require PCS to provide one
(we only have a limited number unless you let me know beforehand).

:D ALL entries win a prize :D
$50 Gift voucher for the winner
$20 Gift voucher for the runner up
$10 gift voucher for all other entries

#3 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:43 PM

Only one week to go for the Tanganyika talk!!. The Power point presentation will have some questions throughout the night, and if you answer correctly you can win yourself a nice prize donated by our sponsors! Also, home made ITALIAN Tiramisu will be available as delicious dessert! :D (bring your own food containers if you plan to have some good breakfast the morning after) More informations about the Stuart Grant Cichlid fundraising program, and also we will be auctioning off two "Celebrating Cichlids" book gently donated and signed by Mr. Ad Konings for his support of our Cichlid fundraising program. All the money will go into the program, so come ready to bid on these two amazing glossy printed books !!

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

I hope to be able to make this meeting. Just depends on family commitments

Tony

#5 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

I love the sound of this! I'm just getting into tanganyika fish some paracyp's and cyp's but I saw Stuart granti I'm breeding some ngara so it stood out to me seeing as I'm alway looking at them! Sounds great I'll have to sign up to be a member soon now I'm seeing all the stuff I'm missing out on! Great stuff keep it up guys!

#6 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

You don't have to be a member to attend meetings Lex, all are welcome at the meeting. :)

#7 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ok cool!

#8 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Will be there with a +1 for this :) 

(i'm just going for the cake really.. hehe)

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

I spose I better pop my head in for a bit... :)

#10 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:40 PM

Got plenty of items for the raffle table and prizes for Mattia's questions. It will be a good night, head down.

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

Damn I was busy tonight! I had missing out on all this! Need to reschedule my tutoring! Plus water polo training oh god I want to go to these meetings so badly!

#12 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

I just wanted to thank you Mattia for sharing your wonderful adventure with all of us who went to the meeting.

Great stories ( I like this one with crash candy the most hehehehe) great shots and videos.... and Tiramisu was to die for :)

My first meeting but not the last one for sure.

GREAT WORK, WELL DONE!!! :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:

Marius and Agnes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users