Photo

Hi From Mal At Black Worms

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mal

Mal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hi all, thought it was about time I introduced myself and told you a little bit about my business, since I am now a proud sponsor of this forum [this is the only forum that I sponsor at this stage]
I guess I had better start by telling you all a bit about myself, and then something about my business.
Well first off, I am ancient, yes really old. Before coming to Beechworth and buying a trout farm I spent 21 years in the Army, served in Vietnam, Singapore and in all states except WA, though I have holidayed over there and loved it.
For all those who said that blackworms and tubifex worms were grown on a trout farm, you were right, sort off.
I started growing these worms about 18 years ago, initially only producing 10 kgs or so a week, but the interest shown in them made me look at growing them in large quantities.So I started my research and experiments in different growing systems, and eventually ended up closing down the trout side of the farm and only growing blackworms.I can and have grown tubifex worms, but I have found them not as good as blackworms to clean, and to ship to customers [they tend to die easier in transit compared to the blackworms] Tubifex worms also have a bad reputation for carrying disease, although in Australia, if cultivated correctly, are perfectly clean.
By the way, the correct name for blackworm is "Lumbriculus Variegatus" but when I started to sell them, I chose to market them under the name of ..blackworms.
At this stage, I am the only farm in Australia to grow the worm, so all worms sold through this country start their life in Victoria at my farm.
It has only been recently that I started to process them in the freeze dried state and I must admit that I am extremely happy with the result.
If anyone hasn't tried them and would like to, drop me an email with your name and postal address and I'll send you a free sample to judge for yourself.
If you have any questions about the worms, both live and dried, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer you.
Once again, thanks for having me, Mal

#2 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Welcome Mal to the PCS forums biggrin.gif

Your journey with what you have achieved with blackworms is fascinating and i was impressed with the pictures of your facility on your website.

Thanks for your support of the Perth Cichlid Society and im looking forward to getting my hands on some of your product to try very soon !!

Cheers
Craig

#3 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Mal @ Aug 13 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone hasn't tried them and would like to, drop me an email with your name and postal address and I'll send you a free sample to judge for yourself.

What a great offer! Should people PM you via this site or email u directly?

Dazza

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

Welcome to the PCS Mal, I look forward to using your products in the future. Great looking setup you have shown on your website.

Tony

#5 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

Welcome Mal.

I have already tried your "freeze dried" worms, I got a freebie sample from Aquotix some time ago.

Fed them to my planted & Cichlid tanks, they didn't last long. the worms I mean. smile.gif

Col

#6 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

Welcome to the PCS Mal, I retail your product & use it instore.
It is a great product, There hasnt been a fish that hasnt taken it.

Cheers
Az

Fed them to my planted & Cichlid tanks, they didn't last long. the worms I mean.

I didnt know plants ate worms biggrin.gif

#7 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

Yes, ok Aaron.

Just for you I will edit the sentence..... blink.gif

I have fed them to the fish which are in my planted & the fish that are in my Cichlid tanks, they didn't last long. the worms I mean. smile.gif

Happy now ??? Nit picker. smile.gif Or would you like some photo's ?

Col

#8 Mal

Mal
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi all, thanks for the comments on the dried worms, I also do them in cube form and finely cut up for fry. Do any of you use live worms, I supply Living Pictures and I know that John Jansma from Adelaide also sends my worms across .
If anyone would like a free sample,you can contact me either through the web page or using mal@blackworms.com.au, or through this forum.
Cheers, Mal

#9 Mal

Mal
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Sorry, that reads like a free sample of the live, but I meant a sample of the dried ones. I can send live ones, but freight for a small box with 250gms or 500gms in it will cost about $40. Mal

#10 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Welcome Mal,

thanks for your sponsorship of the PCS. I have used live blackworms purchased locally, which apparently originated at your farm. These have been responsible for bringing many fish to breeding 'condition'. Fish that are not interested in breeding soon play the game after tasting your quality product. I have not tried your freeze dried variety but have recently seen it available locally, and must try it.

thanks again

cheers
Mudjimba

#11 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Mal biggrin.gif

Recieved my order today in the mail and my discus go mad over your food !!!!!

Cheers
Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users