My Turn

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

hey all

i've been hanging round the site for a few months now gathering all the information i can due to only recently setting up my first tank smile.gif .
it was a birthday present from my girlfriend once she found out how long ive wanted fish for, and after some shopping around and browsing we both really loved the idea of Red Devils smile.gif

so ... my current tank set up .. well, nothing special, i asked my girlfriend specifically not to spend alot (little did i know later on it would end up costing enough anyways) ... so we got it 2nd hand from her dad ...

- 4' tank, i think its 14" deep and 18" high ... but not 100% sure its been months since i measured.
- aqua one 104F filter
- aqua one 300W heater
- cheap air pump
- 24" air bar
- gravel substrate, black and green
- basic 4' light
- standard stand that i've cut, drilled and hinged wood to, so its now a cupboard.
- few bits of limestone and rock ...

all this was set up and cycled 5 days prior to my 19th .. so my birthday present on the day .... a pair of red devils from malaga aquariums smile.gif

... after a few months, and moving house i had come to the conclusion i had a male and female fish ... that was later confirmed when i got my first lot of fry .. noticed on christmas day smile.gif
unfortunately due to my lack of knowledge and experiance i lost all those fry .. but a few months ago the 2nd lot was born, and a few weeks back i sold the remaining 39 to AAA.

now for the fun part, as i metioned earlier eventually the cheap tank would cost money .. well as i realised not long after buying the devils, this tank is to small for a pair ... so what to do??

My new tank which i will be picking up on the 21st of may ....
- 6x2x2 with black stand and matching hood from Aquotix.
- Fluval Fx5 Cannister Filter (currently running on my 4' to reduce new tank cycle time)
- A 2nd Aqua one 300w heater
- 40kg worth of sand
- New dual air pump
- Twin 90cm air pipes
- Plenty of other goodies...
- And the thought of putting a few more fish in ... am going to try it and see how i go smile.gif ... 1x Texas, 1or2x Large Plecos, 1x Red scat .. and maybe something else, or something instead of the scat...

Like i said the new tank will be together by end of 22nd may, due to moving house on 20th and its going to be much better to set the tank up there then waste time here ... so i will get pictures of that up asap ... and i will try get some pictures up of my current 4' and my home job cupboard smile.gif

Edited by meedee1209, 11 May 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#2 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Welcome, nice to see you've been bitten by the upgrade bug already, good work biggrin.gif

#3 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

Yep another victim laugh.gif

Welcome mate and good luck with the new tank. So once the RD's are rehomed, what's going to go in the old tank?

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to the cichness, fortunately a cure does not currently exist.

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ May 12 2011, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the cichness

LOL! First time I've heard that. Nice one Alex!

Welcome Meedee.

Daz

#6 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

haha yeah upgrade bug for sure smile.gif ...

old tank im unsure of, due to lack of room, piece of **** filter, and lack of $$$ i think i will prob sell it .. i thought about a breeding tank but i dont think i will .. will see

difficult part is that when we move i wont have net. .. so i will get pics and bring my laptop and camera to my parents to upload smile.gif

current tank is to be cleaned tomoro night after work, so i will upload pics of that tomoro night ...

#7 Ham

Ham
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Ah yes welcome then next comes the the new fish room wacko.gif

Graham.

#8 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

its been decided, the breeding pair is now up for sale ... and i am organising a variety of fish to go into the new tank as youngin's to try and be successful ... grow them up together and see how it goes smile.gif

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Sounds good man. What fish are you thinking ?
Good luck with it all

#10 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

1x red devil
1x jack dempsey
1x texas
1x tiger oscar
1x synspillum
1x firemouth
2x pleco

currently getting a price list n will go from there smile.gif

#11 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

If you become a financial member you get 10% off at sponsor stores. It's only $25 well worth it.
Also Aquotix have most if not all of what your after.
Cheers.

Edited by Bowdy, 15 May 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#12 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

Ok time for an update.

Tank is now in the new house. It's alot bigger then in my head and I love it. It's currently got the substrate and rock in it. Just need the driftwood then I will fill it.

Went to aquotix today and decided on the FINAL stock list for the tank.
I am getting young fish and selling my devils.
I am getting:
2x Bala sharks
2x Gold severums
2x Synspilum
2x Firemouth
2x Sailfin gibbicep
1x Texas
1x Jack Dempsey

Picking these up from aquotix as soon as I have the $$$ ... Can't wait

#13 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

I wouldn't suggest silver sharks I done this and they just get nailed. But if you must have them make sure there 4x bigger then anything else just to give them a chance.
Good luck mate.

#14 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Ok.. I have no Internet at new house so im doing this by iPhone and phtobucket app.. Let's see if it works...

I apologize for bad quality pictures, took them night with phone.

Hope this works

#15 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Now for some bad news ..... Last night was moving the fx5 from old tank in gosnells to new tank in armadale ... When it decided to roll in the car ad I turned the 2nd last corner of the trip... Now waiting for seaview to hear from the wholesale guy about getting a new head case thing ... It rolling snapped the connecting point for in inlet hose sad.gif .... Bye bye money I dont have sad.gif

#16 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

That sucks man. Tank was starting to look good. Guess it will be a while befor you get fish now.
A 3D background would look good on the tank mate.

#17 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

Seaview ordering the lid in for me.. $50 ... Pretty good smile.gif have it by next weekend...

When I move house next (when I empty tank) haha... Then I'd love to try a 3G background... At moment I'm very happy with how it looks.. Can't wait for it to be up and running though smile.gif ...

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

You can silicon a background in with the tank full and running. Gold label pond and aquarium silicon is fish safe.
Spewin you will need to go through the cycling process again.

Edited by Bowdy, 27 May 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#19 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Any updates with the tank mate. How's it all goin.

#20 meedee1209

meedee1209
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

hey yeah its been a while since i updated...

i have a very happy, currently non agressive group of fish at the moment smile.gif

my tank is still tea coloured, wood wasnt soaked anywhere not long enough sad.gif and due to the tannins im having to use PH up because my ph drops slowly ..

in the tank i have:
2x Gold severum
2x Synspillum
1x Texas
1x Firemouth (had 2 but 1 was agro, swapped him for next fish on list)
1x Redhump
1x Jack dempsey
2x Sailfin Gibbicep (1x Albino)

photos ... hard to get them at the moment without the light and all .. i put the light from my 4' on it .. only to have evapouration condensate onto the fittings and trip the RCD in my house :S .... so gettin a new light soon.

the one or two pics i have of it set up, full and with the light (before it blew) ... must be on my girlfriends phone, will get them tonight and upload them tomorrow.

i cannot wait until the water is clear though ... wish the bio chem zorb would hurry up and work lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users