fish shipping?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hieuc

hieuc
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:28 AM

hi there,

has anyone ever shipped any fish to melb before?
if u have then how much did it cost u for how many kilos.

thanks

#2 MATT

MATT
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:35 AM

hieuc,

the last shipment that i sent was around $10.00 a box i think that the weight was about 2kg but the best thing to do is ring qantas and get a quote i know that the prices have gone up a little since then

#3 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:40 AM

Matt,

that must have been pre Ansett demise days?
in round figures I think it is now $40 basic plus around $4-$5 per kg. so your $10 shipment would now be about $50.

I believe Virgin are now also doing air freight but are even more expensive than Air Express.
If you have a business with a freight account then apparently it is a lot cheaper.

Steve.

#4 MATT

MATT
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2003 - 05:44 AM

if you call australia air express that run their own planes out of perth they will sometimes only charge overnight by the kg it is cheaper that qantas you still have to drop off at domestic terminal and the only other problem is that their planes leave at all hours so you have to be prepare to get up early or go to bed late

#5 calvus75

calvus75
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:12 AM

Hi mate,

The best bet is to get hold of a friend who works for a company with an AAE account and use their account (and sort them for $$$ - obviously).

The basic charge (for the airway bill / con note), varies considerably depending on the account usage. The higher the usage the lower the charge (so a friend in a company who uses AAE frequently would be your best bet.

Otherwise, you'll have to pay big bucks for the basic charge (as Steve mentioned).

:cheers

paulo

#6 hieuc

hieuc
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2003 - 06:01 PM

but that price ur quoted is that for 'live fish' or perishables?. heard that perishables get sent the same as live fish but much cheaper.

#7 calvus75

calvus75
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2003 - 06:28 PM

Hi Mate,

You've maxed me out on this question, but I think you'll have to contact your freight company / carrier and ask. I think you have to consign them as cargo, because perishables may be chilled / cooled (NOT CERTAIN???).

Make some calls mate - might save you some heartache.

:cheers

p

#8 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:55 PM

No matter what you freight them as for cost purposes, you will need to mark the box as "Live Fish", otherwise you risk them being thrown in the chiller room, and/or being bumped to a latter flight.

I have heard the freight costs are different between live fish and perishables, but havent come across that first hand. It seems unreasonable to expect that you can mark the box as one thing then expect them to be charged as something else.

As I have said in previous posts the real issue with getting cheap freight is to have access to a 'freight account'. In my experience this has reduced the cost per fish from $10 to $1.

hth
Steve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users