Can someone recommend me a pond fish?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hello,

I have a pond just outside my room that is about 2m x 1m x 0.5 m deep (so probably 800-1000 liters or so). At the moment it has a few plants in pots (reed like ones, dont know the name) as well as 2-3 goldfish (i chucked them in and havent fed them in months and they seem to be going well). I also have/had a frog that used to visit/live in the pond. However, at the moment theres a bit too much green algae (any recommendations to remove? I assume I need a filter). The pond is mostly in the shade (southern side) but catches some light in the morning and late afternoon.

I was going to add some koi to the pond, probably 5-10 or so, but considering the size koi can get, I was thinking perhaps it might be a bit more interesting to put some native fish in? I was thinking either western pygmy perch or perhaps galaxias occidentalis. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should add? Fish that dont eat frog eggs/tadpoles would be a plus (but not needed). I would like to be able to see the fish often. The pond is currently lined with black pond liner, but i can add some substrate if it will bring out the fish. I also have a standard 4' tank with a crack, that might be interesting to set up outside with some natural species.

edit: a link of WA native fish, i would assume this is all of them: http://www.fish.wa.g...FishWA_2004.pdf

#2 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

aussie bass !!
or black bream.

I envisioning dropping a line out the window, straight from the pond into the pan biggrin.gif :twisted:

#3 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

(Matthew)
aussie bass !!
or black bream.

I envisioning dropping a line out the window, straight from the pond into the pan biggrin.gif :twisted:

I think the fish would have to swim on their sides to fit. Not to mention i would have to feed cats and small children to satisfy their appetite.

I remeasured the pond, its actually 3 not 2 meters long

#4 Warp

Warp
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

I hear rainbows go alright in a pond good for keeping the mosquito lavae down. Though I don't know you'de see too much of them. The thing about Koi and comets/shibunkins etc is their colour.. you see them even if the water is murky, as ponds tend to get at times... You'de probably find that most of the native fish of this region are a tad bland in colour, to be seen properly in a pond. But thats not to say they wouldn't be cool to keep. Personally I'd go for colour in the pond. biggrin.gif .. Maybe give Barra a go? or even archer fish? plant some rushes or tall grasses in there and see if they spit at the insects that land... As for keeping the pond algae free in the open sunlight might be a hard task. I did find a site not long ago about using 2 different filtering methods Biological and not sure what the other one was, but I am sure if you google for pond filtering you'll come up with something. I'll try find the site I found and post it for ya.

Cheers

Mike.

#5 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

to cold and small for barra,

bass and brim stay relatively small, and I have some smaller children you can feed them :twisted:

#6 nic

nic
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

hi

where do u find black bream

thanks nic

#7 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

hi nic i think thier is a fish shop somewhere around rokingham im not exactly sure but they sell black bream and other natives
i think it was called lotus blossom
ill try and get the exact name k

#8 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Yes Jake, I will answer that for you cus,

Nic, There is a fish place called "golden ponds" in Baldivis (East of Rocko) on mundijong road, it has Bream at a good size for around $6 each.

Hope this helps

#9 Craig79

Craig79
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

(skittles)
hi nic i think thier is a fish shop somewhere around rokingham im not exactly sure but they sell black bream and other natives
i think it was called lotus blossom
ill try and get the exact name k

Yeh there's a place just outa Rocko called Golden Ponds, I think that's the one you mean, I have seen black bream, barra, perch and even rainbow trout there. biggrin.gif

cheers -Craig

#10 Craig79

Craig79
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

lol got in just before me studzy biggrin.gif
but yeh nice place

#11 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

lol Craig, I've learnt you need to be quick around here (ie classifields) biggrin.gif

#12 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

thats the one they are very cheap to not much tropicals but they have laugh.gif huge marron lol

#13 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

The algae in your case is caused by direct sunlight, a filter will help clear your water and give your fish some form of oxygen content if you break the water surface, but it will not get rid of your algae. if your after a temporary solution use a product called "Algae Fix", its very concentrated as one teaspoon does 200 litres. according to your calculations the pond is 1000 liters so you only need 5 teaspoons.

A permanent solution would be a Uv sterilliser, probablly an 11 watt and you would need a pump to run that, roughly a $500 setup all together.

As for the fish if you dont want a filter DONT GET KOI because they can be very messy and they will rip your plants out of the pots ( you can get floatin baskets for plants).

Pygmy Perch are frog and tadpole friendly and so are minnows, maybe even get some small shubunkins (like comets).

Either way i would still recommend filtering your pond or at least oxygenating it a little bit more. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users