Photo

Festae ( Red Terror )

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johno1982

Johno1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi all I got 10 festae ( red terror ) and I'm wanting to try to sex them ASAP they are around 2" give or take a wee bit but I know with most you can only sex at around 5" but does anyone know how to sex earlier?? I've got 10 really only need 1 male and 2 female so the rest will go up FS once I've paired them off and before they kill each other sad.gif they all look alike a few have a more red in their dorsal fin but all have the pealessant dots over them look really good in the blue light at feeding time lol their stripes come out alot more too and can see the backwards 'y' just above the gills. Also what's best for their diet mainly growth and color but right now they are on predictor sticks dried pellet food brine shrimp and cichlid dinner ( beef heart and all that ) but am I maybe missing something important? Oh the occasional crick they love!!

Thanks

Johno

Edited by Johno1982, 03 May 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

You are gonna have to wait till they are bigger IMO
Even venting that size is difficult

#3 Johno1982

Johno1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Awwww!!! Lol they looking ok?? I was afraid of that sad.gif patients isn't a vertue it's a pain in the but!!!! And nah not comfortable with venting lol that would be like holding me under water and a doc having a gander at my bits lol no thanks lol any suggestions on diet ??

#4 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Wouldn't you be better off waiting for them to pair off and bond pulling out males and females may not always work.
What $ would you be wanting for the extras

#5 Johno1982

Johno1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Will wait for them to pair off of course but was just interested in knowing if it was possible. As for the rest of the 7 not sure haven't had any offers or seen many or any really for sale so yea let me know via pm smile.gif not ready yet though lol

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I dont know how long you have been keeping fish for, but with a bit of experience you can sometimes pick it, but not with enough accuracy that you would be comfortable selling them as sexed pairs.

#7 Johno1982

Johno1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Some show signs of typical male aggression and territorial behaviour but could also be just the small size difference between them guess we will have to wait and see wouldn't sell as a pair unless I was 100% sure wink.gif it's false advertising lol and ppl get snippy when they get jibbed smile.gif
Anywho can anyone recommend a really good diet for them? Something that may assist with growth and color?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users