Photo

Kinky

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

After having trouble with canister filter hoses getting kinks in them I have come up with this solution.

It may not be pretty but, it works & is very cheap. Just get a 6 inch (15cm) length of retic pipe the same diameter as the hose, cut it down it's length, fit over the kink and tie back to frame. If the kink has been in there for a while you will need pliers to remove it, or better still a heat gun, or the wifes hairdryer. If you can't remove the kink I found that by fitting a retic hose clip around it will also take it out.
I used a rubber plant tie because I had them laying around, they are good because they do not slip. You can also use string or anything similar.

Attached File  Kinky_1.jpg   28.63KB   266 downloads Attached File  Kinky_2.jpg   26.29KB   189 downloads

#2 mick

mick
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Mate, get yourself some of these will ya!

Please note i have nothing to do with this product, not have i even used them, never had the problem myself (YET) but they look great!

Good temporary solution you came up with though mate.

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

One problem: Unicoil doesn't get kinks out or come in straight versions - I looked wink.gif
I usually use white PVC pipe around the hose if it has a kink in it.

#4 mick

mick
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Apr 28 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One problem: Unicoil doesn't get kinks out or come in straight versions - I looked wink.gif
I usually use white PVC pipe around the hose if it has a kink in it.

Are u sure about that mate?

I thought they come straight and you bend them... I think thats the whole point of them you can adjust to any angle you desire.

Used properly i dont see why it wouldnt get kinks out, as long as you get the kink out before you put it on.

#5 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (mick @ Apr 28 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought they come straight and you bend them... I think thats the whole point of them you can adjust to any angle you desire.

Used properly i dont see why it wouldnt get kinks out, as long as you get the kink out before you put it on.

Ask the inventor - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=13970 smile.gif

#6 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (mick @ Apr 28 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I think I have to rephrase that - they are no good for keeping hoses straight. As Den said in the thread Dazza pointed out - that's not what they are designed for.

#7 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Mate, get yourself some of these will ya!

Hi Mick, I already have 2in use & a spare one. I use them for bending the hoses , I find they are not so good at keeping it straight.

I only use this idea for a quick-fix problem solver, and it works.
It is also cheap and most people have the parts laying around anyway.

Col

#8 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

I just came across this topic by accident, I havent been to this section in ages, thanks mick for the plug, I really appreciate it! smile.gif

The Unicoil needs a close tolerance to the hose to perform well - just like the retic wrap Col has used a Unicoil also needs to be reasonably snug fit without too much gap. As others have mentioned the Unicoil is primarily designed to bend and maintain a bend in a hose up to 90 degrees and preventing it kinking in the bend, although the current Unicoil range was designed to be compatible with Automotive rubber hoses from 1/4" I.D. to 1" I.D. the current range also fits a number of aquarium hoses too, which I have used and it still works well.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#9 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

I have been away & have just re-read this thread and would like to clear up a couple of points.

I already have 4 Unicoils in use, thay are working great & I would recommend them to anyone. Although the Unicoil was designed for the auto trade ( I think), they have proved to be a very valuable fitting in the Aquarium trade also. The next time I go to Perth I will be buying a few more to keep in stock.

At the time of the initial post I had a spare 12mm but the kink was in a 19mm hose. As it is a 3hour round trip to get another Unicoil fitting I thought I would try using the retic hose & clips as a temporary fitting.

Cawdor suggests using PVC pipe. To use this you will need to disconnect the hose & slide the pipe over the kink. With the black poly pipe the hose can be left in situ and by slitting the pipe it can be opened up and forced over the hose.

Col

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users