Photo

Cuckoo Catfish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Does anyone know the actual rate of growth ?

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Growth is completely dependant on amount of food, quality of food, quality of water and space. The fry come out of the cichlid mouth surprisingly large. I found I got them to a size that i was happy to sell at (~3- 4cm) in about 4months. Mature at roughly 2 years old.

#3 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

iv had them a for about 10 months i have noticed them grow but the last 6 months havnt notice them grown at all from what i can see they are roughly 3 inches , i started to think they may have a slow growth rate my water is checked ph is ok they eat a mixture of frozen and pellet food but thanks for your help

#4 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

What size tank do you have them in and how many catties do you have

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Growth rate when they are fry is surprisingly fast, but once they hit around 5cm they seem to slow down quite a bit.
As Alex said, it depends on tank size food etc, I think one of the best things to make fish grow is water changes. Small but frequent water changes are very beneficial to their growth.

I breed my cuckoo's in a 1000ltr tub and then move the fry into a 80ltr tank where I can do 10ltr water changes every 2nd day. They grow like no tmrw, saleable size in 2mths (3-5cm)
One very amazing fish...

Hope that helps.

#6 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (bennyboy @ Jan 14 2012, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What size tank do you have them in and how many catties do you have

my tank is a 4x2x2 and i have 2 in atm

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jan 15 2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Growth rate when they are fry is surprisingly fast, but once they hit around 5cm they seem to slow down quite a bit.
As Alex said, it depends on tank size food etc, I think one of the best things to make fish grow is water changes. Small but frequent water changes are very beneficial to their growth.

I breed my cuckoo's in a 1000ltr tub and then move the fry into a 80ltr tank where I can do 10ltr water changes every 2nd day. They grow like no tmrw, saleable size in 2mths (3-5cm)
One very amazing fish...

Hope that helps.

yeh thats what i have seen they do eat and i was a little confuzzled about it my water changes are some what sorta frequent every 4th day i change 20litres only cause they are housed with other friends
this does help alot and with now understanding the whole slow down around 5 cm im not so worried now thanks for your help

#7 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi mate what else have you got in the tank. 20L every 4 days is a tiny water change.

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Just like to add as well...
I DONT do gravel siphons every 2nd day, I only do that once a week. I take 10ltrs from their 80ltr tank every 2nd day and just from the middle of the tank.
If there is a build of crap on top the sand, I will quickly suck that up.

#9 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

i do bigger water changes every fortnight i have 2 juvi fronts 3 bristlenose 4 princess brichardi 4 electric yellows and 5 clown loaches

#10 bennyboy

bennyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

Yeh the 12 I bought of you azz a few years back grew realy quick then stopped
They almost have realy quick growth spurts then back of for 3 months then grow more then stop
There atleast 2 years old now and between 10 and 12cm
Maybe add a few more get a small colony going you could Probly get away with having upto 8 in a 4x2 with all the other fish in the tank
Cheers ben

#11 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:49 AM

There could be some logic in adding a few more maybe new ones will teach them how to grow lol , I know it doesn't seem like my tank is over crowded I have somewhat an Awsome community ATM maybe adding some more won't hurt , I don't believe in over crowding though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users