Photo

Couple Of Coal Grunter Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, just double checking a couple of questions I came up with since Im selling my 6x2, thinking about downgrading and keeping my Coal Grunter. So I was just wondering what anyone would think a reasonable minimum tank size would be, was thinking a 4x2x2 kept open spaced?

Other thing was an adult coalies mouth... had my old adult but cant decide on what a fair minimum size fish would be to keep with mine as an adult, was thinking rainbowfish size (7cm+) would be good and fairly inedible but here for any thoughts on it
Planning out a possible new tank and trying to decide on fish etc

TIA

Edited by Leichardti, 10 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

4x2x2 ok I'd say. Not huge fish but pretty active.

Gunters can be bad tempered and territorial so I'd say worry less about mouth size and watch for harassment and signs he's getting too territorial.
Might go ok... might not.
The old coaly used to live happily with scats n archers.

#3 Stretch

Stretch
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

I've got a 20 cm coal. He's fine with some fish and hates others. Doesn't mind the sooties and got on fine with the scats but killed the archer. Anything that looks weak he attacks and at his size he can take a whole yabbie/prawn or goldfish(not large ones of course) bit hit and miss unfortunately. I'm moving on two bullrouts if you want, he'll leave them alone

#4 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

Cheers guys, not looking to buy any fish atm until I get it all sorted out sorry @Stretch. Planning a 4x2x2 with the Coalie, probably a Butis Butis, larger Rainbows and some other smallish cool natives that would keep to themselves hence wondering about sizes.
Miss that old Coaly :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users