catfish cichlids display tankmates pleco

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on tankmates for my 5x2x2 African display. Need to be compatible with medium sized African cichlids (hard water, pH 7+, temp 23-27).

Tank has smooth gravel, some ornaments and limestone. Well filtered and only about 10 x 10cm cichlids in there, so overstocking isn't an issue at the moment. Price is also not too much of an issue. Will pay a decent price for quality fish.

I'd like either one or two species of catfish/plecs/L-numbers/loaches etc. 
Ideally, one type that is both appealing to the eye and also keeps algae under control would be amazing. But, if this is not possible, one good looking species and one cleaning species would be the go. As long as they are also compatible with each other. 

Thanks in advance :)

#2 DinPerth

DinPerth
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hey mate,

I am by no means an expert, but I am just about to set up a display tank with maingano's and E.yellows. For cleaning I am going to use common bristlenose's and maybe a couple of peppermints. For something interesting on the bottom I am going to be having Synodontis Petricola. 

I might even be adding a black ghost knife fish as an odd ball too.

I am sure the experts on here will give you some more informative answers but from my research these above should go well together.

Cheers

Duncan

#3 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

+1 for the Synodontis Petricola. get a few of them otherwise they will hide all the time

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

If you're after petricolas, there is a For Sale ad for some decent size ones cheap cheap at the moment

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=52619

Bristlenose catfish are good too

#5 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cheers for the suggestions guys.
Petricolas are nice, wouldn't mind a group of them.
I have bucket loads of bristlenose at the moment, was hoping there were some other Loricariidae out there that could control the algae as well as them, but were also a bit more appealing to look at.
What other Synodontis are around in Aus? Haven't seen too many other than petricola and multipunctatus for sale in Perth.

#6 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Other common synos- eupterus (featherfins), decorus, ocellifer, nigrita, nummifer, nigriventis (upside down cats), nyassae. Rarer ones include angelicus, ornatipinnis & my fave, shoutedini. Probably missed a few. I have very few at the moment, but think that aquotix have quite a big selection.
Great fish, go for the smaller ones rather than monsters like featherfins.

#7 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

cheers paul (i'm guessing it's you, because i don't know how many people use the morley account lol).
I may have a good look around for the next few weeks and see if i can get hold of some.
I did see some angelicus for sale on here, but they can get quite large and there were only 2. i'd probably be looking for a larger number of smaller sized ones.
how do synodontis go when it comes to controlling algae? do they do a good job, or should i just keep some L numbers or BN in there with them to do that?

#8 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hi, sorry I did not respopnd earlier. Synodontis do not really offer any sort of algae control - better with b/nose & other L numbers etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catfish, cichlids, display, tankmates, pleco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users