Photo

Coral Dying?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Starting to show its exoskeleton. Happening fairly quick over the last two days.<br /><br />Ammonia and Nitrates are 0<br />Salinity - 1.026<br />Ph - 8.6<br />Temp - 25<br /><br />I am thinking its 1 of 2 problems.<br /><br />1. I'm not using RO water. The water I have tested from the tap seems fine but I havnt tested for heavy metals. Seems to be some epic calcium build up on the tap fitting and shower head in this house.<br /><br />2. Phosphates are high. I havnt tested them yet and I think I have too much biological media in the back. I have a feeling it might be leeching phosphates and affecting that bit of coral. <br /><br />Everything else in the tank is fine. This is a new bit of coral and I did accidental bump it around and touch it a little when I put it in the tank so maybe that did some damage? I'm unsure how Harry or tolerant they are to being touched and played with.<br /><br />Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411786504.533272.jpg   418.38KB   5 downloads

#2 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Don't use tap water use fresh sea water. Get it delivered.

#3 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Tap water for Evaporation top up should be fine. Is it close to another coral that may be stinging it. Phosphates needs to be brought down.

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:04 PM

Try get your phosphates down, and I would be dosing with calcium. Rather than tap water go up to open reefs with a couple 25lt drums and get RO water, 14c a litre last time I was there :) if you're in an older suburb with old plumbing your tap water will be chockers with heavy metals.. I was using tap water but the algal blooms were just too much.. Also I know it sounds strange but do you feed your corals?

#5 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

Update on the water.<br />All parameters are good and phosphates are low.<br />We think that it is a bit of sie back from the move and possibly mis handling. Also I did have a powerhead blowing right on it which apparently plate corals are not fond of. It has been repositioned in a slower flow area and hasn't died back any further as of yet.
In regards to the water. How long can it keep in a bucket? Because it's only a 130 L tank my evaporation is minimal as well being a fully enclosed lid. If I can store 25l of water for weeks at a time then I will do that but I change at the most 20l of water.

#6 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Salt water will keep forever I used to get 1000lts at a time delivered for around $70 and as long as you have a clean tub and a non sunny area to store it RO will be the same :) good work on the move to a low flow area :)

#7 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I assumed it would go foul if it just sat there? Maybe I will start ordering it then. By their le I get an RO unit and continually buying salts would work out cheaper maybe to just buy it. I will have to do that math.

#8 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

What's RO water :(

#9 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Reverse Osmosis water. Water run through a reverse osmosis filter. Pure water, no impurities. Ph 7. Ideal base for adding minerals to either increase hardnesss or make acidic.

Tony

#10 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Oh ok cool! Thanks Tony.

#11 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

It's like a brown algae / fungus

#12 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Tapatalk won't let me upload photos unfortunately

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

RO water is definitely a good option, guaranteed water quality:) There's a 3 stage RO unit on gumtree brand new $160. Looks alright 1:1 water wastage ratio so pretty good from a hydroponic shop in Jandakot :) might be worth having a look if anyone lives out that way

Buying the water works out cheaper than using the salts, (depending on where you get it and how much you pay), there when you need it no need to mix water, plus you have the bonus of knowing its filtered to 5 microns so no nasty surprises. I used to get mine delivered for a very reasonable price, keep it in a 1000lt IBC with a 4000lt/hr pump in it, water changes were a breeze, just connect the hose to the pump and turn it on :)

Edited by Riggermortis, 30 September 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#14 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

Definately something I'm looking in to!!<br /><br />On another note - after extensive research I have diagnosed my coral with Brown Jelly.<br /><br />Have found a research article on a guy who cured it using chloramphenicol which is an anti bacterial used by humans.<br />He done 3 / 10 minute baths every 2 hours.<br />No other article I could find cures it just temporarily delays its aggressive killing of the coral.<br /><br />I need to find a local over the counter that has chloramphenicol in it.<br />
Definately something I'm looking in to!!<br /><br />On another note - after extensive research I have diagnosed my coral with Brown Jelly.<br /><br />Have found a research article on a guy who cured it using chloramphenicol which is an anti bacterial used by humans.<br />He done 3 / 10 minute baths every 2 hours.<br />No other article I could find cures it just temporarily delays its aggressive killing of the coral.<br /><br />I need to find a local over the counter that has chloramphenicol in it.<br />

#15 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

Good luck, let us know how you go with that :)

#16 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

Treatment # 1 done.<br />1.5ml per litre face me roughly 7.5mg of the antibacterial.<br />After 10 minutes there was clear pieces of the brown gunk that had separated and lifted from the coral. Also noticed some small transparent lice.<br />This treatment is done out of the tank as not to disturb or harm the bacterial colony in tank.<br /><br />Will treat again later

#17 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hey I'm so sorry about all the BR crap. Tapatalk is sh*^ don't use it!

Treatment # 2 I bumped the dosage slightly as it handled the first one very well.
There is a significant difference in the look of the coral compared to before.

#18 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

Awesome! Nice work :)

#19 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Coral has been saved at the moment. It is no longer dying or showing any signs of the brown algae goo.
Exoskeleton is showing tinges of green so I how it will start regenerating itself soon.
Was opened right up fully feed tonight - beautiful to see

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

Top work Blakey, good save :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users