So I got a little bored and saw all of these great journals and thought I’d get in on it too.
I had a 10x2x2 with two FX5’s running a high tech planted tank with CO2, auto dosing liquid fertilisers, auto water change and top up with PH, heating and lighting controlled via a Profilux aquarium computer.
I designed an area in the house a built to house this tank and time came to finally complete the project which meant building cabinets around the tank which sat on a metal stand in the living room so it was rather unsightly.
The tank looked like this in its prime.
After 3 (Large).jpg 71.14KB 54 downloads
ind 4 (Large).jpg 101.08KB 48 downloads
ind 5 (Large).jpg 114.86KB 47 downloads
ind 6 (Large).jpg 124.64KB 45 downloads
Before stripping it down and selling off the plants, fish and gravel it looked like this.
IMG_7843 (Large).JPG 90.32KB 47 downloads
I’ve been designing the cabinets and consulting with the cabinet maker for a few months and finally got all my requirements dialed in. The plan was for the final result to look something like this.
1.jpg 9.84KB 45 downloads
3.jpg 8.06KB 44 downloads
The cabinets are built from Nema Board. A polymer waterproof (amongst many other things) product that can be worked like mdf. I chose this to be used in the carcasses only and then an HMRMDF for the doors and scribes.
I originally decided upon a sump as filtration but the return pump noise was of great concern seeing as the tank is in the living room so I opted to run the FX5’s again. I had Nick (aka Riggers) drill the required holes for me (which came out perfect) which I’m still using for the auto water change, auto top off and emergency overflow.
A quick render of the sump.
2.jpg 16.82KB 44 downloads
I moved the fish a wished to keep into a holding tank and the build began the build.
This was the area all cleaned out.
IMG_7951 (Large).JPG 76.12KB 47 downloads
IMG_7999 (Large).JPG 76.16KB 46 downloads
First the bottom cabs went in.
IMG_8002 (Large).JPG 77.53KB 44 downloads
Then the full heights and over heads.
IMG_8004 (Large).JPG 91.32KB 44 downloads
And then the carcasses were done...
IMG_8005 (Large).JPG 92.69KB 42 downloads
IMG_8011 (Large).JPG 80.64KB 43 downloads
Next came the doors and vuala!
A few little touch-ups and leveling off.....
IMG_8022 (Large).JPG 63.47KB 43 downloads
Plumbing in the auto water change, top off and overflow came next. Room was left in the piping to allow me to integrate replacing water at water change time with conditioned water. But since I can ultimately change as much or as little water as I like at as many or few intervals I decided to leave it for now as mains pressure water has served me well in the past so far.
Here is the sump installed.
IMG_8037 (Large).JPG 80.73KB 46 downloads
But as mentioned the FX5's were used instead.
The plumbing for ATO and AWC with and emergency overflow.
IMG_8069 (Large).JPG 46.21KB 49 downloads
I ran two 300w Jager heaters in the last setup and will be doing the same again, mostly for redundancy as water changes will be small but often. I ran them in-line to keep the tank looking clean. The FX5’s run into the heater manifold and then directly into the tank.
The two FX5’s plumbing was next which was just simply running pipes into the cabinets and making room for the two inline heaters.
I’ll be using Gin Gin river sand from Wangara Soils aint Soils as a substrate with granite and possibly schist stone as decorations and hiding places.
A trip to Wangara this weekend will see me well stocked and ready to start scaping the tank.
With that said ill post another update once scaping is complete.
Edited by kassysimon, 02 October 2015 - 07:57 AM.