Photo

Freshwater Turtle Keeper

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grimace82

Grimace82
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker on this forum and have joined because it has a Perth focus to aquarium keeping. I have 4 Chelodina steindachneri (common names: flat shell turtle, dinner plate turtle, steindachners turtle) in a 6x3x2. They are native to the Northwest of WA. At the moment I have about 50 guppies, 10 Australian rainbows (Melanotaenia trifasciata) and a few leftovers. I'm looking to add mostly native fish but am interested in something that will help keep my native Val under control. I know the Latin names are supposed to be italicised but I don't know how to do it in Tapatalk. Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1422611039315.jpg   191.1KB   4 downloads Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Grimace82, 30 January 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum.

I Quite like flatties... much better than oblongs. If you have tons of val maybe a couple of scats or a perch. I had a single jade perch that used to keep my val under control in a native predator tank. Jades are easy to get hold of at about 7cm and are around $5 each... they grow very fast! Scats are a little rarer and around $30 each for smallish examples.

#3 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Hi Grimace

Welcome to PCS forum  enjoy your time here  and if any questions don't hesitate to ask there are many informed people  here that will be more than willing to try and help

I like the look of your tank

Cheers Rich

#4 Grimace82

Grimace82
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

One thing I am interested in, and it is how I discovered PCS, do the powers that be still have their shrimp destruction fetish?

Also, I previously lived in Victoria and bought a lot of live fish from Aquagreen, and was very happy with their product. I understand there may be some difficulty importing live fish from other states. Can someone let me know the procedure and requirements?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

#5 Grimace82

Grimace82
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

I can't get this information off the turtle forums as they are very eastern states focussed and I am one of the very few active WA members. Laws relating to aquarium species are much more liberal on the east coast.

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Righto so
Step 1 make sure fish are ok to import there is a list somewhere... there is a "risk" clause in the regs that says fisheries can take/destroy any fish it deems is a threat or some bullspit like that. For a bunch of natives being moved outside their natural ranges you need a translocation permit from fisheries. Contact fisheries or visit the fisheries website for more info on that.
Step 2 buy the fish.
step 3 once you know the arrival time of your fish you call quarantine to book in an inspection for about an hour or two after expected arrival time. Inspection costs about $60 from memory. Some sellers such as livefish.com.au byepass the qt inspection and fee.
step 4 pick fish up/get courier to pick up.
There is a pinned thread in the "group buy" subforum of the classifieds that goes into importing fish to WA in more detail.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

I felt bad not copying the link to the post I mentioned so here it is: http://www.perthcich...showtopic=59337

#8 Grimace82

Grimace82
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Thanks. I saw on another thread you were talking about getting fish from Aquagreen. While I was in country Victoria they freighted direct to my door. Do you know if they have an exemption?

#9 Grimace82

Grimace82
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have advice from Fisheries in writing that I DO NOT need a translocation permit for any species of Rainbow.

I spend a lot of time at work dealing with government departments, I've learned the hard way that you often cannot trust them: "yes I know person X put that in writing, however X is not authorised to make that statement" as a bucket of chlorine goes into my fish, "...no sorry you don't have any recourse against the department or X, you can take the matter to court, however... ".

I hope I don't come across as bitter or frustrated as a result of being on the business end of rubbish advice from various Departments.

I thought it best to ask those who regularly do it.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

Yep you seem to have a good grasp of the situation and our ongoing frustration... I think you're gonna fit right in here...

Rainbows wont be a problem though.
If you dont wanna import them yourself there are a few sponsors that can help you.

Morley Aquariums often have a great range of 'bows. They got some of my fav species in the other day. Not sure what they have at the moment though. Either way give them a call or go and have a look if you're really into rainbows.

Thanks. I saw on another thread you were talking about getting fish from Aquagreen. While I was in country Victoria they freighted direct to my door. Do you know if they have an exemption? Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Not sure TBH. Usually if someone is delivering to your door they have the qt issue worked out one way or another. Some of the other guys might be able to answer that one, if not, give Dave a call.

#11 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

Yep you seem to have a good grasp of the situation and our ongoing frustration... I think you're gonna fit right in here...

Can confirm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users