Koi Question

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

hey guys,

i was wondering if anybody knows any public ponds or old dams that have koi in them?
(koi that have got there accidentally)
im also wondering if its legal to take a couple from them tongue.gif

cheers
Joe

ps: the reason im posting on here is so i dont do something illegal unintentionally smile.gif

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

They are an introduced species, so you can take them.
Dont go onto a farmers dam for them, they may not be too happy with you.

There is a pond down the road from my house that some idiot put 3 in that are getting pretty big now, but it would be a bit of a trek for you

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

decent amount of goldies in the pond down the road from me
no doubt some do gooder would kick up if you started drag netting it

#4 kangakoi

kangakoi
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hey Joey,

My questions to you:

Koi to eat
Koi to breed
koi to put in you pond to impress your friends
koi to go to koi show
and how big is your net

#5 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

koi to put in my pond,
not to impress my friends though....
just to watch and relax smile.gif

oh, and i have a 2 nets that are about 30cm diameter

#6 Phillip83

Phillip83
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

If you want to catch koi or goldfish out of a pond, creek or dam get a $2 fishing line reel (any weight) and some cheap little 2 cm hooks. Each fish will only be fooled once but that is all you need. Get basic white bread, squoosh it into little balls and put on hook and throw it in. Hook goes straight through lip (never had them swallow the hook), put up barely any fight, use metal cutters to cut hook in half (easier than taking out with barb on) and a packet of 10 hooks may cost you $2. I know people may dislike fishing, I am not a fan myself but this process can be less traumatic than a net, fairly quick and successful and keeps fish alive, environment intact and everyone is better off. If fish are a little weary, throw a few little balls of bread (size of a pea) in the water without a hook so they get the taste. I have had success with this method with 5cm fantails all the way up to koi at 30cm plus with great success.

#7 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

thanks alot for that Phillip, ill give it a shot wink.gif

and btw, i love fishing

#8 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

I'm too am dead keen to go and have a bit of a fish for some feral goldfish and koi, if any of you guys/gals out there know of any spots that you've seen them at or know they are there shoot me a PM with the address or street. It would be much appreciated!

Cheers

-Dave

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Went out this arvo with Spendy to my local lake and threw a line in.... Pulled in a monster koi that was at least 6kg and around 40cm long.... I'm sure Spendy has a couple of pics, he was a hell of a fighter on really light line and a small barbless hook smile.gif

Edited by Riggertron, 30 August 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Got some pics,

#11 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

heres one i caught the other day man.

[attachment=14222:Photo0160.jpg]

[attachment=14223:Photo0162.jpg]

pretty nice colours on this guy, thought id chuck him in my pond smile.gif

#12 Witters

Witters
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thats a pretty good catch!
Is the location of these 'ponds' a secret?
We should make a PCS outing of it, kinda like the reverse of whacking day. Maybe with some help of fisheries or the right authority we can rid these places of the introduced species
Ryan

#13 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

^thats what ive been thinking,
i dont see that eliminating a feral fish from our waterways is wrong, its almost like recycling smile.gif

#14 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

I think it would be a great idea to try and clean out some lakes, better for the environment and a lot more fun then cleaning rubbish from the beach!!

#15 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Ive been on the phone this morning with the local gov, local council, the rangers and CALM, as yet i have had no definative answers on the removal of introduced fish, fishing and drag netting are illegal for native species........ im awaiting a response from the local counicil smile.gif

#16 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

When you say it is illegal to fish and drag net for local species, in what ecosystems are you talking about? seeing as we can still fish the swan but i assume your talking about lakes

Edit - not that you will find any local species apart from blowies in the swan ><

Edited by Lachy, 31 August 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#17 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:02 AM

When I say local lakes I'm referring to the ones you would find in your suburban park, regional parks are looked after by Calm and it is illegal to remove anything from these parks. I'm still trying to find out if anyone is even taking care of the problem of introduced fish or not.... I'll try again today...

Cheers
Nick

#18 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

After a lengthy discussion with the local council rangers who are responsible for the care and maintenance of our local parks I have found out a few interesting facts,

You may recieve an infringement if caught fishing in local lakes
There is no program in place for the removal of introduced species
The council maintains ponds every 2-5 years buy draining them and removing everything and starting from scratch
People are uneducated in this issue and complain to the rangers when they see people removing introduced fish because they think they are nice!!
Most people who place fish in local ponds are ignorant to the fact the are damaging the waterways..

I am taking this matter further and have started proceedings to implement a plan to put forward to the council regarding not only removal but also education in this area, any topics or issues you think need or should be raised please feel free to let me know.

Some ideas so far are
More fish rescue sites, places for people to take unwanted fish...
Signage for local parks and infringements for people releasing species into waterways
Educational advertising in the local paper...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

Cheers
Nick

#19 Witters

Witters
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

Nice work Nick
That is interesting! There are some in Iluka that im sure have been there more more than 5 years.
I wonder what they do with removed fish if and when they maintain these ponds.
Definitely keen to help you out Nick, I'll speak to you further on Saturday.
It is all about the education, if people knew they could ring a number or go online to register unwanted fish, this would surely stop people dumping them in the local waterways.
I'm sure most unwanted fish start as childrens pets that then become neglected. Parents think they're doing the right thing by giving them a new home at the local pond.
I know it's hard dealing with councils and local authorities but as it's in their best interest also, this might be a winner.

Ryan

Edited by Witters, 01 September 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#20 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

ive done a few calls to the local council and they never give you a straight answer.
they will go "ill connect you to the blah blah adviser blah"
then you wait a little while then speak to someone who has no clue what you want...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users