Photo

Recent Fishing

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#41 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Nah mate they are flighty when they get big ey he was really flighty the Dhu's are as well bigger they get the harder they are.

#42 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

only just really gave this thread a real going through, some awesome fish! whenever my friends and i get a good chance to go fishing we always head up north to coral bay, or shark bay, can recommend both the Crystal Coral charter in coral bay and the Mack Attack fishing charter up in shark bay. both great experiences and plenty of fish caught. hooked my first mahi mahi last December up in coral bay, an amazing fish!  

Perth2010405_zps93bdaece.jpg

Edited by zacy boy, 18 September 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#43 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread.

How has everyone been going with fishing?

I haven't been out much. Went out a few weeks ago and did well on Yellow tailed kingfish (50-90cm models). I also went out for a quick flatty flick last week, landed a handful of flathead (no monsters).

I have 2months off starting at 1230pm this friday! I am calling it "The summer of Alex" (Seinfeld ;) ) Going to be a couple months of intense fishing. Going down south for a week at the end of the year, going to tow the tub down, hopefully get into some tuna and YTK. Got a couple nice spots for 'em off the cape from last years trip. Then going to Thailand in January on a 'fishing holiday' 4 days of fishing including; wild snakehead, arapaima, red tailed catfish and barramundi to name a few species on the agenda, can't wait.

Went a bit nuts lately and splashed out way more than I should have on fishing gear, including 3 new reels; Stella 8000, Stradic FJ 4000 and a Stradic CI4 + 2500.

I have absolutely undoubtably rinsed just about ever single cent of disposable income to my name on fishing gear/holidays over the last month and seen very little time on or near the water, bring on friday!

How is everyone else fairing?

Computerlog - saw on fishwrecked you've been getting into some nice tigers, well done!

#44 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Itching to get out for a fly fish in the river soon now that its warming up a bit. I too splurged on some fly tackle and a sustain 2500 and also a sustain 5000 and an Ian miller travel rod for barra wrangling when I went to kununurra. Shame I get brutally seasick mate I'd be keen to come out for an arm stretch session! Always wanted to catch a kingy, especially on the 10 weight fly gear!

#45 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Have you tried Travel Calm (originals)? A couple of my mates cop sea sickness and the travel calms sort em out every time, can make em' a bit doughey though, that could be the piss too though. ;)

A kingy on the fly gear, I'd be impressed. They are dirty fighters, head straight for the reef. They are in plague proportions in a couple of my favourite spots, problem is getting through the smaller ones to the bigger ones. I find they aren't like Tuna in that there is usually a fairly large differential in size from the smallest to the largest in a school of YTK. Tuna usually school in groups according to size. Just my observations though.

A good mate of mine bought an 8000 sustain from memory? Took it up to wagoe recently, caught 4x mulloway all 10kg + off the beach on it, reckons its a great piece of gear.

Edited by Peckoltia, 20 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#46 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Only tried qwells and I was sick before i got to the boat. Might try travel calm and see how i go! It'd change my life If I didn't get seasick haha.

It could be done pretty easy especially in open water with a good skipper, its amazing what you can land on fly gear! Helps that my reel has 600m of backing too haha.

I agree with the tuna schooling too, in my limited experience catching them in exmouth they were all similar sizes.

Big live baits I reckon would be the go for monster kingys!

Yep I love my sustains, I caught a 5kg mack tuna from a tinny with my 2500 on a Azusa 1-3kg bream rod, was an absolute blast! The reel creamed it but the poor rod was struggling a bit :)

My next buy will be a diawa saltiga 7000 dogfight or the new stella 20000 for GT fishing amongst other things. Have also been considering the stella 30000 just for the sheer hell of it and to try my luck at some swan river bulls. Fishing gear is so bloody expensive :(

Edited by ice, 20 November 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#47 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Tuna on the 1-3kg rod, that's living!

I considered the 20 and 30k models of the Stella. Decided in the 8000, as it has the same drag rating (25kg) as the 20k, from memory the 30k might have 30kg of drag. Obviously the downside is less line capacity. Spooled mine with PE5 (65lb) sunline monster battle, good enough to handle most fish.

Edited by Peckoltia, 20 November 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#48 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yeah it was one of the best fights I've had i reckon, went deep too so I had to haul it back up, bloody good fun!

The 8000 is a great reel but I'd love to have the line capacity for chasing big mackys and GTs up north. I don't really like overheads much either so a big good quality spin reel is my only option.

How much PE5 did you get on the spool?
Also! I'm planning a Thailand trip next year also, you can be the guinnea pig and let me know all the good spots mate haha.

Was considering a trip with this mob:
http://www.anglingth...d.com/about.htm

Edited by ice, 20 November 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#49 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

The spool I bought had 300m and it all fit on with minimal backing.

I think if I can't stop a fish with 300m of 65lb monster battle it shouldn't be caught! I reckon it'd handle any mAckie out there, and most GTs.

I have a Trinidad 30a spoiled with 50lb daiwa accudepth, can't remember how much line it fit on it, but fished 120m of water with it and was still chokers.

Edited by Peckoltia, 20 November 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#50 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Mate you need to hook that up to a seriously big macky or a wahoo or 20kg+ GT and you'll be telling me a different story pretty quickly I reckon :)

How does it fair against bigass sambotrains?

#51 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

I've caught big Mack's and big sambos, and i reckon sambos pull a mackies pants down. Only ever caught small GTs so can't comment on them with experience. I personally think kings have sambos beat pound for pound.

Haven't got to test the Stella on sambos yet, but my trinidad with half the drag pressure and lighter line has handled sambos no problem.

It's a bit like the who's dads tougher argument. I'd back myself in against any Mack with my Stella. An enormous GT would probably be a different story.

#52 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm probably over reacting with the mackies. I caught a monster one when I was a kitd on a 6ft ugly stick and an Abu Garcia 4000 sized cheap spin outfit haha.

GTs are just ridiculous, should tow the boat up to exmouth one day mate, it's nuts up there in the gulf!

Edited by ice, 20 November 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#53 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I bought the 5000 sustain & have caught some great fish on it, accounted for over 10 mahi mahi, couple of good sized dhuis & big gummys. My good luck reel. Spooled with 30 accubraid on a 5'5 minster mesh max it is like using a light bream rig- great drag too.
So impressed bought the 10000 as soon as released & on a demon blood rod. Only used in coral bay to date, bit of a slow week of fishing but did get a nice GT & some spanglys. Been bummed not getting out for a while, but almost FAD time again so bring on the dollys!.

#54 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Bought my old man and I deep sea fishing tickets on a chartered vessel. Can't go out now (I think they shut down for a few months due to season regulations) and I go skiing to Japan in Dec/Jan for a month. So will go out when I get back in mid Jan. Should be a blast. Anyone gone deep sea fishing on mills chartered?

I'm a bit of a fair weather fishermen. We have a 26ft boat that we take out only on pristine days (because we are lazy) and we just sit around with the lines in the water having a few drinks and chatting. Usually just do catch and release. Haven't gone out for a couple of months myself (too busy with work) but my old man has been out a couple times lately.

#55 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Seasickness tabs- as mentioned earlier, travelcalm originals the only way to go. I used to use kwells, but made me tired & never really completely got rid of the discomfort. Since using TC, have not even been slightly crook. Got caffeine too so pretty fired up for a long sesh.
Tried natural ines such as ginger tabs, no joy.

#56 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Travel Calm Original Works Take 1 The Night Before And 1 In The Morning You Leave Your Good To Go

Kwells Make Me Spew Pink.... Not Much Else

Edit: Bring Lots Of Water Tho Because The Travel Calm Can Make You Thirsty As

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 20 November 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#57 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Can't wait to try them out! Now i just need an understanding/compassionate boat owner to take me out for a test run haha.

#58 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I bought the 5000 sustain & have caught some great fish on it, accounted for over 10 mahi mahi, couple of good sized dhuis & big gummys. My good luck reel. Spooled with 30 accubraid on a 5'5 minster mesh max it is like using a light bream rig- great drag too.
So impressed bought the 10000 as soon as released & on a demon blood rod. Only used in coral bay to date, bit of a slow week of fishing but did get a nice GT & some spanglys. Been bummed not getting out for a while, but almost FAD time again so bring on the dollys!.

Paul - Have you seen Brad since he got back from Wagoe? Boys killed it on mulloway up there. I was copping daily text messages of mulloway, was painful! I'm going to pay him back in January with a nice pic of an Arapaima!

I agree, the Monster mesh is a great rod. The only down side with them is a common problem is that the reel seat begins to twist with time, I noticed it when bottom bouncing when my reel was facing off to the side of the rod. Apparently this is a common problem and Daiwa have acklnowledged the issue with the manufacturing process. I took my rod down to Blue water tackle in Scarborough, am waiting for a replacement rod. Which is good of daiwa to admit fault and replace my faulty rod.

Paul it'd be great if when you go out the to FADs next with ya mate if I could tag along inb my own boat, I haven't been quite that far off shore in my rig yet and it'd be good to follow someone out for safety reasons the first couple of times. I have a 6.1m glass boat with a 175 Suzuki 4 stroke on the back, so should be able to deal with the journey if we pick the right day. Hopefully there wont be too many bees out there mate! haha.

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 November 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#59 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi alex, spoke to brad last week, sounded like a blast. I had the original monster mesh & it snapped like a twig, daiwa replaced with the mm max, no problem so far & it gas been worked hard, hopefully the reel seat will stay put :).
I go to the fads with a mate on his boat so his call happy to ask him if you can tag along, i certainly would be happy to do so & cannot see why not. My best mate owns a 58' riviera, trying to convince him to get out, but he is always overseas working, bastard.
6.1 is just big enough, but we only go in perfect conditions, not a place to be with any swell or wind. It is truly awesome when the dollys are on, my favourite fishing. Live bait a must imo.

#60 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Cheers Alex was pure luck that everything lined up perfectly for that short period there's a definite pattern with the tigers. Hopefully get into some larger one's next time don't like handling the small ones way to lively when they're on the sand.

Look forward to seeing some more of your reports with the red throats once the bans over, fairly sure your the first person to post legal sized metro ones on FW. Things are definitely changing out there, a collector who recently dived rotto just told me there's some new tropical damsels hanging around that weren't there previously. 

Brett

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users