What Do People Want?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:08 AM

Loaches, cories and catfish would be ones I’d buy. Perhaps these would suit an average buyer as well.

#22 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

With the amount of mudskippers that are so easily collectible up north I couldn't see the benefit of captive breeding them.

#23 pseudechisbutleri

pseudechisbutleri
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

Loaches, cories and catfish would be ones I’d buy. Perhaps these would suit an average buyer as well.

Glad I'm doing something right then, any other oddball that you'd purchase (it's gotta be small, easy to breed but at the same time still an oddball)?

With the amount of mudskippers that are so easily collectible up north I couldn't see the benefit of captive breeding them.

A drive/flight up north to collect mudskippers would be very cost-heavy and it's not something that someone can do spontaneously. But whenever someone does get an opportunity (like a holiday, business trip or FIFO) to go up north and collect, then obviously it would be wiser to collect wild caught specimens, rather than buy captive bred specimens.

#24 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Glad I'm doing something right then, any other oddball that you'd purchase (it's gotta be small, easy to breed but at the same time still an oddball)?

Well for me, it’s got to have colour or be very interesting, I agree - on smaller size, hardy, I’m not sure on oddball - different perhaps but just needs to be rarer than say guppies (everyone has heard of guppies but eg a glass catfish is different but not super rare). No offence to guppies :)

#25 pseudechisbutleri

pseudechisbutleri
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Yeh guppies are alright but for an experienced aquarist or someone looking for something different, theyre not exactly interesting. So Ive decided to start with kuhli loaches, glass catfish and cories, and later along the line, Ill start looking into other more interesting oddballs such as spiny eels, mudskippers, killies, bullrout, and hillstream loaches.

Edited by pseudechisbutleri, 22 October 2020 - 09:02 AM.

#26 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Try get something rare like Dario dario.

Corys and glass cats are all commonly available from fish suppliers and generally cheap in the stores.

#27 pseudechisbutleri

pseudechisbutleri
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

I'll take Dario Dario into consideration, they don't seem to be very common, especially in WA, but they do seem easy to care for and breed, as well as sell for reasonable prices.

#28 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

If you find some let me know, also nanochromis sp. :D

#29 pseudechisbutleri

pseudechisbutleri
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Cheers, will do, both Dario Dario and nanochromis seem to be quite rare in wa, I'll keep my eyes peeled for em.

#30 Stretch

Stretch
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Vebas had mud skippers last week. Not sure if they are still there

#31 pseudechisbutleri

pseudechisbutleri
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

I’ll be sure to check it out soon, cheers stretch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users